Please help ~ silent HTPC ~ i3 - 2100T

Status
Not open for further replies.

winrot

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Hey Guys / Girls,

Can anyone help me get my computer to run quiet? Basically I think the stock fan that comes with the i3 2100t is too loud and am looking for a way to quiet it down. I have lowered the fan speeds on the stock fan but it still is too loud. does anyone have any suggestions as far as a new fan and heat sink that will run very very silent on this processor? I don't need a monster heat sink, its just a low powered 2100T but i want something and i want it quiet.

Or perhaps help me get the stock fan quieter (if you have experienced this before) perhaps I did something wrong.

Any ideas? much much thanks.

-----
BIOSTAR TH67+
I3 2100T
hecc Micro ATX Media Center

Solution
Several options exist .
The first is to UNDERclock the cpu . Most BIOSes will let you lower the multiplier , and that would allow you to lower the voltage as well . With the cpu using half as much power , it will produce half as much heat and the fan will run slower .

Another option is to fit an aftermarket cooler . You are limited by the size of the case but there are low profile models that might fit . Many people recommend the scythe Big Shuriken .

But those may not fix the problem you are having .
There is only a single small fan blowing air in or out of your case . That may mean there is no effective cooling of internal components because there is no air flow .

Several options exist .
The first is to UNDERclock the cpu . Most BIOSes will let you lower the multiplier , and that would allow you to lower the voltage as well . With the cpu using half as much power , it will produce half as much heat and the fan will run slower .

Another option is to fit an aftermarket cooler . You are limited by the size of the case but there are low profile models that might fit . Many people recommend the scythe Big Shuriken .

But those may not fix the problem you are having .
There is only a single small fan blowing air in or out of your case . That may mean there is no effective cooling of internal components because there is no air flow .

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.