How can I block the Internet in an effective way leaving MSN working?

nitzero

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Hello guys,

I need to block the Internet and leave the MSN working on a Windows XP computer in a small business network. Our router doesn't provide anything that could effectively do it.

I have tried blocking the Internet Explorer through content advisor.... They just bring a flash drive with firefox/chrome/opera portable and use the Internet. I have tried to block these applications but there are too many to keep track of.

I know I can totally block the Internet giving the computer a blind DNS or just change the gateway but I gotta leave MSN working. I thought about a proxy but we don't have a spare computer to serve this purpose.

Any ideas? I really appreciate it. Sadly we can't find employees who respect our company rules and we gotta do it.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Is it just one computer you are trying to block internet?
I bet you can get a firewall program to do it for you. Just use windows built in firewall, and block outbound traffic port 80.
I do like Emerald idea of just adding a second router. You can get a cheap on for like 50-70. and that will mostly likely give you better security as well.