Biostar A880gz CPU recognized as B45

Mallford

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Have not done this much in a long time but I am installing a new motherboard in my nephews computer and was told to keep it on the cheap.

His old MSI motherboard appears to have had the front usb port jacked up and it fried the board near the corresponding usb jumpers.

So I order up a Biostar A880z to use as replacement for his other components that I hope are still in working order. Now if anyone knows this board they know the BIOS is confusing as all hell. I got him the same CPU that I got myself when we both built our computers. It is a Phenom II x4 955 BE Deneb. This mother board thinks its a B45 which I have no knowledge of, sometimes it only thinks it has two cores also. The BIOS version is one behind the newest but the newest version seems to address another cpu recognition problem.

RAM is 2x 2GB Gskill DDR3 1333 and is recognized fine after I switched and reseated them. At first it only saw 2 gb but now sees the whole 4gb.

At first I was using his videocard a Gigabyte 6850 and took it back out to use just the onboard video.

Trying to install Windows 7 from USB since I failed to notice there is no IDE on this board so the optical drive is no-op till I recieve the adapter.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mallford

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Oh Crap, just checked my order for him back in 2010 and it was actually a Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz.

Well looks like I just unlocked some cores on this thing and didn't know it.

Oh some more info on this board. Post beep is enabled and although it does post I have never heard a beep.

Maybe I just got a crap mobo.