PSP - Got Mine!

Walmart started selling the PSP from behind the counter at 6AM around
here. There wasn't much of a line at 5:30AM. As soon as the doors
opened though, there was a steady stream, surprising number of couples
buying two. The secret to getting a PSP today is that Best Buy, Circuit
City, Walmart and Target didn't take preorders, so it is first
come-first serve at those stores. Circuit City opens at 10 this
morning. Each store has an allotment, it isn't much, but if you get
there first thing, there is a good chance of getting one this morning.
I wouldn't count on any being available later today. After that, then
it is June or July for the next shipment.
My unit seems to be just fine, nice sound, no sticking square button,
nice solid analog control button, no dead pixels. The only "problem" is
the display is TOO bright, probably just a brightness adjustment but
haven't found that yet.
Heh, sold my Gameboy Advance SP on Ebay last month while it was still
worth something. Almost got the original purchase price anyway so that
worked out well. The GBA SP was kind of fun for its time but the games
were kind of bleh. It has faded away in memory already with the PSP now
in hand. The PSP is awesome! I don't have anything against Nintendo or
the DS but Nintendo does seem to have missed the boat this generation.
It seems they made the corporate decision awhile back that consoles are
strictly for young kids and now have totally missed the teen and adult
market.
Talking to some people in the store, I mentioned that the PSP has
wireless built-in for local head-to-head and Internet MP and people
didn't even know that. When I said you could store ripped movies on
your PC then stream them to the PSP memory stick over a wireless
network, their jaws dropped. Then they started asking all kinds of
questions so it was time for me to get out of there.
This will be so cool since I already have a Sony DSC-50 digital
camera. Now, I will get a Memory Stick-Duo adapter (they are about $10)
and stick the 1GB Duo in the camera, it does sweet MPEG4 movies as well
as awesome photos, then just pop that in the PSP. Off to endless fun.
54 answers Last reply
More about mine

    There's is a little bit of a difference between PS2 graphics in your
    hand, and on the go - compared to Tetris.

    Blig Merk wrote:

    > The only "problem"
    > is the display is TOO bright, probably just a brightness adjustment
    > but haven't found that yet.

    It's true. I play mine on the lowest brightness setting all of the time
    unless I'm in a really bright room. And if you're playing it in a darkened
    room, even the lowest setting is almost too bright.

    The brightness adjustment is the button that looks like a little TV screen,
    to the left of the musical note button (which cycles through EQ presets when
    playing music and mutes the sound when you hold it down.) There are three
    brightness levels plus a fourth uber-bright level that's only available when
    the unit is plugged in and charging. If you hold the button down, it turns
    the display off until you press it again. Handy feature.

    -Z-

    Buckaroo Banzai wrote:
    > "Arcane Hayter" <arcane.hayter@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > There's is a little bit of a difference between PS2 graphics in
    your
    > > hand, and on the go - compared to Tetris.
    > >

    > So the measure is graphics?... how do you weigh that against cost?

    Welcome to the world of videogames and thank you for joining us. You
    pay more every time you take an early step towards a more "realistic"
    gaming experience. Them's the breaks. If all you're interested in is
    playing Tetris on some handheld you got at Wal-Mart for $5, please post
    somewhere else. Otherwise you're just trolling.

    Zackman wrote:
    > Blig Merk wrote:
    >

    >>The only "problem"
    >>is the display is TOO bright, probably just a brightness adjustment
    >>but haven't found that yet.
    >

    > It's true. I play mine on the lowest brightness setting all of the time
    > unless I'm in a really bright room. And if you're playing it in a darkened
    > room, even the lowest setting is almost too bright.
    >
    > The brightness adjustment is the button that looks like a little TV screen,
    > to the left of the musical note button (which cycles through EQ presets when
    > playing music and mutes the sound when you hold it down.) There are three
    > brightness levels plus a fourth uber-bright level that's only available when
    > the unit is plugged in and charging. If you hold the button down, it turns
    > the display off until you press it again. Handy feature.
    >
    > -Z-

    Just picked mine up and I am having tons of fun with it. Need to take it
    online still. Just set it up. Hey Zackman we should hook up on Xbox Live
    soon.

    Gamertag: faustus

    So how's Spiderman II on the big 5" screen? Don't get me wrong... If I were
    to buy *any* handheld, it would be the PSP, because I think Sony's better
    than Nintendo... but 250 bucks for something that fits in the palm of your
    hand... and that's the upside? I guess I just don't get the whole hand held
    thing... I mean, I can get Tetris in the palm of my hand for 8 bucks.....

    "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Walmart started selling the PSP from behind the counter at 6AM around
    > here. There wasn't much of a line at 5:30AM. As soon as the doors
    > opened though, there was a steady stream, surprising number of couples
    > buying two. The secret to getting a PSP today is that Best Buy, Circuit
    > City, Walmart and Target didn't take preorders, so it is first
    > come-first serve at those stores. Circuit City opens at 10 this
    > morning. Each store has an allotment, it isn't much, but if you get
    > there first thing, there is a good chance of getting one this morning.
    > I wouldn't count on any being available later today. After that, then
    > it is June or July for the next shipment.
    > My unit seems to be just fine, nice sound, no sticking square button,
    > nice solid analog control button, no dead pixels. The only "problem" is
    > the display is TOO bright, probably just a brightness adjustment but
    > haven't found that yet.
    > Heh, sold my Gameboy Advance SP on Ebay last month while it was still
    > worth something. Almost got the original purchase price anyway so that
    > worked out well. The GBA SP was kind of fun for its time but the games
    > were kind of bleh. It has faded away in memory already with the PSP now
    > in hand. The PSP is awesome! I don't have anything against Nintendo or
    > the DS but Nintendo does seem to have missed the boat this generation.
    > It seems they made the corporate decision awhile back that consoles are
    > strictly for young kids and now have totally missed the teen and adult
    > market.
    > Talking to some people in the store, I mentioned that the PSP has
    > wireless built-in for local head-to-head and Internet MP and people
    > didn't even know that. When I said you could store ripped movies on
    > your PC then stream them to the PSP memory stick over a wireless
    > network, their jaws dropped. Then they started asking all kinds of
    > questions so it was time for me to get out of there.
    > This will be so cool since I already have a Sony DSC-50 digital
    > camera. Now, I will get a Memory Stick-Duo adapter (they are about $10)
    > and stick the 1GB Duo in the camera, it does sweet MPEG4 movies as well
    > as awesome photos, then just pop that in the PSP. Off to endless fun.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Arcane Hayter" <arcane.hayter@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > There's is a little bit of a difference between PS2 graphics in your
    > hand, and on the go - compared to Tetris.

    So the measure is graphics?... how do you weigh that against cost?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Heh, sold my Gameboy Advance SP on Ebay last month while it was still
    > worth something.

    Because we all know that the emergence of the DS and the PSP mean there will
    be no market for an affordable handheld system with a proven library of
    hundreds of games, dozens of which are extremely high quality and
    replayable.

    > The GBA SP was kind of fun for its time but the games
    > were kind of bleh.

    As opposed to the launch titles for PSP which are consistently scoring solid
    "average" ratings at most gaming news sites?

    > It has faded away in memory already with the PSP now in hand.

    You must have the memory of a pro wrestling fan.

    > The PSP is awesome! I don't have anything against Nintendo or
    > the DS but Nintendo does seem to have missed the boat this generation.
    > It seems they made the corporate decision awhile back that consoles are
    > strictly for young kids and now have totally missed the teen and adult
    > market.

    Yeah, which totally explains "Feel The Magic"...

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,

    "Buckaroo Banzai" <blackhole34@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Arcane Hayter" <arcane.hayter@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > There's is a little bit of a difference between PS2 graphics in your
    > > hand, and on the go - compared to Tetris.
    >
    > So the measure is graphics?... how do you weigh that against cost?

    Don't try to use logic on these people. Just let them stare at the pretties
    until they go blind, or realise they wasted over two hundred bucks on a
    piece of junk they don't need. :)

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (Shodaime Shirikage)
    www.lurkerdrome.com
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "The Eternal Lost Lurker" <shirikage@shirigakure.ne.butt> wrote in message

    > "Buckaroo Banzai" <blackhole34@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Arcane Hayter" <arcane.hayter@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > There's is a little bit of a difference between PS2 graphics in your
    >> > hand, and on the go - compared to Tetris.
    >>
    >> So the measure is graphics?... how do you weigh that against cost?
    >
    > Don't try to use logic on these people. Just let them stare at the
    > pretties
    > until they go blind, or realise they wasted over two hundred bucks on a
    > piece of junk they don't need. :)

    Ive wasted more than that on lots of junk I don't need lol

    I didnt need this PC
    didnt need my Cell Phone
    Hell I don't even really need a car, I could prob take the bus to work if I
    wanted to put effort into it and leave earlier than usual

    > --
    > This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    > Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    > but we can help with the headache.
    > ==============================
    > The Eternal Lost Lurker
    > (Shodaime Shirikage)
    > www.lurkerdrome.com

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Heh, sold my Gameboy Advance SP on Ebay last month while it was still
    > > worth something.
    >
    > Because we all know that the emergence of the DS and the PSP mean there
    will
    > be no market for an affordable handheld system with a proven library of
    > hundreds of games, dozens of which are extremely high quality and
    > replayable.
    >
    > > The GBA SP was kind of fun for its time but the games
    > > were kind of bleh.
    >
    > As opposed to the launch titles for PSP which are consistently scoring
    solid
    > "average" ratings at most gaming news sites?

    Since when are scores in the 8s and 9s for several LAUNCH games a normal
    occurrance? At least research before you post complete bullshit.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "The Eternal Lost Lurker" <shirikage@shirigakure.ne.butt> wrote in

    > Don't try to use logic on these people. Just let them stare at the
    > pretties until they go blind, or realise they wasted over two hundred
    > bucks on a piece of junk they don't need. :)

    lol don't be bitter because you are poor :)
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.caremovenospam> wrote in message
    > "The Eternal Lost Lurker" <shirikage@shirigakure.ne.butt> wrote in
    >
    > > Don't try to use logic on these people. Just let them stare at the
    > > pretties until they go blind, or realise they wasted over two hundred
    > > bucks on a piece of junk they don't need. :)
    >
    > lol don't be bitter because you are poor :)

    Who's bitter? I'd rather buy five very good PS2 games, or a GameCube and a
    few games for that I'd like to play, than a PSP with no titles of interest
    to me. If I had the cash in pocket to buy a PSP, a single game, and all the
    trimmings right this minute, I'd head to the nearest game store...

    ....and get the rest of the .hack games (I only have Infection), Phantom
    Brave, MK: Deception, and a spare memory card because my only memory card is
    rather distressingly close to full.

    That's about 300 hours of gaming pleasure right there, all for less than the
    cost of a ridiculous toy with zero decent games available at present.

    Smart gamers make better gaming investments. ;)

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (Shodaime Shirikage)
    www.lurkerdrome.com
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > > > There's is a little bit of a difference between PS2 graphics in
    > your
    > > > hand, and on the go - compared to Tetris.
    > >
    > > So the measure is graphics?... how do you weigh that against cost?
    >
    > Welcome to the world of videogames and thank you for joining us.

    Welcome to the world of missing the point entirely. :P

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (Shodaime Shirikage)
    www.lurkerdrome.com
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Arcane Hayter" <arcane.hayter@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >> your
    >> >
    >> > So the measure is graphics?... how do you weigh that against cost?
    >>
    >> Welcome to the world of videogames and thank you for joining us.
    >
    > Welcome to the world of missing the point entirely. :P

    Welcome to the world of please STFU because your schtick is quite tired
    already. You sound like Fred's alter ego but at least he said something
    intelligent.
    > --
    > This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    > Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    > but we can help with the headache.
    > ==============================
    > The Eternal Lost Lurker
    > (Shodaime Shirikage)
    > www.lurkerdrome.com

  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:16:25 GMT, "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Since when are scores in the 8s and 9s for several LAUNCH games a normal
    >occurrance? At least research before you post complete bullshit.

    Those scores are totally over-rated. Yeah, Wipeout is technically well
    done ... but is the exact same game I played five years ago. Ditto
    Twisted Metal. Ditto Ridge Racer. That, or dumbed-down versions of
    more recent games (e.g., Spiderman). The only new game is Lumines,
    which want, but that's one game and not even avialable today. Note
    that the user-review scores for even the best games like Wipeout are
    lower than the reviewer scores.

    The hardware is very cool, but the software is, frankly, lame. If I
    could play God of War on a handheld that would be something. But why
    pay $300 - $400 for ports of 5-year-old games?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Joe62" <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:16:25 GMT, "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Since when are scores in the 8s and 9s for several LAUNCH games a normal
    > >occurrance? At least research before you post complete bullshit.
    >
    > Those scores are totally over-rated. Yeah, Wipeout is technically well
    > done ... but is the exact same game I played five years ago. Ditto
    > Twisted Metal. Ditto Ridge Racer. That, or dumbed-down versions of
    > more recent games (e.g., Spiderman). The only new game is Lumines,
    > which want, but that's one game and not even avialable today. Note
    > that the user-review scores for even the best games like Wipeout are
    > lower than the reviewer scores.
    >
    > The hardware is very cool, but the software is, frankly, lame. If I
    > could play God of War on a handheld that would be something. But why
    > pay $300 - $400 for ports of 5-year-old games?

    Perhaps for the same reason that people were willing to pay $100 for a GBA
    to play ports of 10 year-old SNES games...because they are fun to play on a
    portable system.

    (And the PSP is $250, not $300-$400...)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

    > "Joe62" <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:16:25 GMT, "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Since when are scores in the 8s and 9s for several LAUNCH games a normal
    >> >occurrance? At least research before you post complete bullshit.
    >>
    >> Those scores are totally over-rated. Yeah, Wipeout is technically well
    >> done ... but is the exact same game I played five years ago. Ditto
    >> Twisted Metal. Ditto Ridge Racer. That, or dumbed-down versions of
    >> more recent games (e.g., Spiderman). The only new game is Lumines,
    >> which want, but that's one game and not even avialable today. Note
    >> that the user-review scores for even the best games like Wipeout are
    >> lower than the reviewer scores.
    >>
    >> The hardware is very cool, but the software is, frankly, lame. If I
    >> could play God of War on a handheld that would be something. But why
    >> pay $300 - $400 for ports of 5-year-old games?
    >
    > Perhaps for the same reason that people were willing to pay $100 for a GBA
    > to play ports of 10 year-old SNES games...because they are fun to play on
    > portable system.
    >
    > (And the PSP is $250, not $300-$400...)

    I am so sick of hearing people bitch about the PSP because they couldn't
    scrape up the funds to afford one. They criticize what they have never even
    touched.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Lumines is out now; I just got mine in a pre-order from EB.

    Whoever said there's no point to the PSP doesn't get the appeal of a
    handheld. It is not a rival for the consoles; it is a way to play a game of
    console quality (read true 3D) when you're away from home.

    As a semi-pro musician, I can tell you that NOTHING beats playing video
    games to pass the agonizing time waiting to go onstage at a gig...

    "Joe62" <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:16:25 GMT, "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Since when are scores in the 8s and 9s for several LAUNCH games a normal
    > >occurrance? At least research before you post complete bullshit.
    >
    > Those scores are totally over-rated. Yeah, Wipeout is technically well
    > done ... but is the exact same game I played five years ago. Ditto
    > Twisted Metal. Ditto Ridge Racer. That, or dumbed-down versions of
    > more recent games (e.g., Spiderman). The only new game is Lumines,
    > which want, but that's one game and not even avialable today. Note
    > that the user-review scores for even the best games like Wipeout are
    > lower than the reviewer scores.
    >
    > The hardware is very cool, but the software is, frankly, lame. If I
    > could play God of War on a handheld that would be something. But why
    > pay $300 - $400 for ports of 5-year-old games?
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.caremovenospam> wrote in message
    > > "The Eternal Lost Lurker" <shirikage@shirigakure.ne.butt> wrote in
    > >
    > > > Don't try to use logic on these people. Just let them stare at the
    > > > pretties until they go blind, or realise they wasted over two hundred
    > > > bucks on a piece of junk they don't need. :)
    > >
    > > lol don't be bitter because you are poor :)
    >
    > Who's bitter? I'd rather buy five very good PS2 games, or a GameCube and a
    > few games for that I'd like to play, than a PSP with no titles of interest
    > to me. If I had the cash in pocket to buy a PSP, a single game, and all
    the
    > trimmings right this minute, I'd head to the nearest game store...

    You obviously care. Why else would you be posting like a little bitch on
    usenet about it? Poor little welfare baby. Can't afford the beautiful PSP.

    Skye
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "The Eternal Lost Lurker" <shirikage@shirigakure.ne.butt> wrote in

    > That's about 300 hours of gaming pleasure right there, all for less
    > than the cost of a ridiculous toy with zero decent games available at
    > present.
    >
    > Smart gamers make better gaming investments. ;)

    Incorrect actually. Twisted Metal & Wipeout Pure are both excellent &
    enjoyable launch games. Plus there are others that have received great
    ratings as well. THUG2, Ridge Racer. Games aren't an investment anyway,they
    don't increase in value with time. :P
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    The Eternal Lost Lurker wrote:

    > And I happen to own a PS2. So technically, I've more right and reason
    > post here than YOU do.

    Since you spew out some much troll-speak, I'd really like some proof
    that you "own" a PS2.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Arcane Hayter wrote:
    > The Eternal Lost Lurker wrote:
    >
    > > And I happen to own a PS2. So technically, I've more right and
    reason
    > > post here than YOU do.
    >
    > Since you spew out some much troll-speak, I'd really like some proof
    > that you "own" a PS2.

    Uhmm, can I retract this. After your last post I've changed my mind
    about you. I really got the feeling you were a Sony basher with the way
    you've been ripping on the PSP, but I take it all back :)
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Jerry P. Danzig" <jpdanzig@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Lumines is out now; I just got mine in a pre-order from EB.
    >
    > Whoever said there's no point to the PSP doesn't get the appeal of a
    > handheld. It is not a rival for the consoles; it is a way to play a game
    of
    > console quality (read true 3D) when you're away from home.

    Having owned the original Gameboy, two Gameboy Pockets, the Sega Nomad (boy
    was THAT ever a waste of money), a Gameboy Color, AND the Gameboy Advance,
    suffice to say I see the appeal of a handheld.

    That having been said, I have no interest in the PSP because it's an
    overpriced hunk of fragile hardware with a scattered handful of subpar
    titles I have no interest in, and gimmicks which don't appeal to me in any
    logical sense.

    And most people who own handhelds don't play them "away from home" anymore
    anyway. Especially not when most of the really GOOD games require more
    attention than you're able to commit to on the go. :P

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (whose GBA has long since replaced magazines as toilet-sitting activity)
    www.lurkerdrome.com
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > > Who's bitter? I'd rather buy five very good PS2 games, or a GameCube and
    > > few games for that I'd like to play, than a PSP with no titles of
    interest
    > > to me. If I had the cash in pocket to buy a PSP, a single game, and all
    > the
    > > trimmings right this minute, I'd head to the nearest game store...
    >
    > You obviously care. Why else would you be posting like a little bitch on
    > usenet about it? Poor little welfare baby. Can't afford the beautiful PSP.

    Someone fails at reading comprehension. :P

    I just got through saying I'd rather buy PS2 games than the PSP. That means
    I have no interest in owning the PSP. Which is not a question of being able
    to afford it or not, it just means if I had enough cash in my pocket to buy
    it right now, I would not.

    As for why I'm "posting like a little bitch" about it...I'm just expressing
    an opinion, which I have every right to do. My opinion is that the PSP is an
    overpriced waste of space, and that opinion will not change until I see
    proof that it can deliver something I can't get from the PS2, or proves
    itself to have more potential than the DS, which has not yet been utilised
    to its full potential.

    The DS, incidentally, I *would* buy--but only after a slight price decrease
    and after certain key titles come out. (ie, Advance Wars DS, Megaman Battle
    Network DS.) It's just unique *enough* that it holds a marginal interest for
    me, whereas the PSP is the Sega Nomad all over again.

    You need to learn a thing or two about conversation and discussion and how
    to accept that people might think differently from yourself, and that not
    all dissenters are "whiny little bitches" who have no right to express their
    opinion.

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (Shodaime Shirikage)
    www.lurkerdrome.com
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > > That's about 300 hours of gaming pleasure right there, all for less
    > > than the cost of a ridiculous toy with zero decent games available at
    > > present.
    > >
    > > Smart gamers make better gaming investments. ;)
    >
    > Incorrect actually. Twisted Metal & Wipeout Pure are both excellent &
    > enjoyable launch games.

    *shrug* I bought Twisted Metal Black when I bought my PS2 back in '01, and
    got bored with it after two days. So far, most of the PSP games released are
    either not genre I tend to play, or are not sufficiently impressive examples
    of genre I *do* play to sway my opinion.

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (Shodaime Shirikage)
    www.lurkerdrome.com
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    > I am so sick of hearing people bitch about the PSP because they couldn't
    > scrape up the funds to afford one. They criticize what they have never
    > even touched.

    My Best Buy had a pallet's worth of them yesterday morning. I played the
    demo unit they had, and just couldn't bring myself to buy one. Two reasons:
    it's new Sony hardware - there's not a stellar track record there, and lack
    of really killer games. I love Twisted Metal, but seriously I played that
    one 4 years ago. It's not so much about not having the funds, but really I
    could spend that cash on more worthwhile pursuits.

    That said, if I travelled a lot, I'd pick one up and ask questions later.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > *shrug* I bought Twisted Metal Black when I bought my PS2 back in '01,
    > and got bored with it after two days. So far, most of the PSP games
    > released are either not genre I tend to play, or are not sufficiently
    > impressive examples of genre I *do* play to sway my opinion.

    Fair enough BUT you should acknowledge that there are games that people
    happen to enjoy that are currently available for the PSP. Mobility may not
    be an issue for you but it is of great value to some people.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Buckaroo Banzai wrote:
    > So how's Spiderman II on the big 5" screen? Don't get me wrong... If
    I were

    The PSP screen is like having an HDTV in your palm. If you don't have
    an HDTV to know what that looks like, leave your ghetto hood for awhile
    and find a Best Buy or Circuit City to see what they are like, then
    imagine that image quality in the palm of your hand.

    > to buy *any* handheld, it would be the PSP, because I think Sony's
    better
    > than Nintendo... but 250 bucks for something that fits in the palm of
    your
    > hand... and that's the upside? I guess I just don't get the whole
    hand held
    > thing... I mean, I can get Tetris in the palm of my hand for 8
    bucks.....

    Two answers:

    1) The car. I can see where the cigarette lighter adapter is going to
    be a must have. Think long traffic jams, taking rest stop breaks, motel
    stops, camping trips, etc.

    2) One handed porn. Figure that out on your own.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Jerry P. Danzig" <jpdanzig@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Lumines is out now; I just got mine in a pre-order from EB.
    >
    > Whoever said there's no point to the PSP doesn't get the appeal of a
    > handheld. It is not a rival for the consoles; it is a way to play a game
    > of
    > console quality (read true 3D) when you're away from home.

    As opposed to fake 3D right?

    > As a semi-pro musician, I can tell you that NOTHING beats playing video
    > games to pass the agonizing time waiting to go onstage at a gig...
    >
    > "Joe62" <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:16:25 GMT, "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Since when are scores in the 8s and 9s for several LAUNCH games a normal
    >> >occurrance? At least research before you post complete bullshit.
    >>
    >> Those scores are totally over-rated. Yeah, Wipeout is technically well
    >> done ... but is the exact same game I played five years ago. Ditto
    >> Twisted Metal. Ditto Ridge Racer. That, or dumbed-down versions of
    >> more recent games (e.g., Spiderman). The only new game is Lumines,
    >> which want, but that's one game and not even avialable today. Note
    >> that the user-review scores for even the best games like Wipeout are
    >> lower than the reviewer scores.
    >>
    >> The hardware is very cool, but the software is, frankly, lame. If I
    >> could play God of War on a handheld that would be something. But why
    >> pay $300 - $400 for ports of 5-year-old games?

  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Richard Strong" <richard.strong@ntl'remove'world.com> wrote in message

    > It's true that Nintendo reuse characters, but at least they try to
    reinvent
    > those games, they understand that they have to keep on changing.

    ******SNRK******

    Funniest damn thing I've read all morning.

    > That's what I worry about with Sony dominating the console and the
    handheld
    > market (only at the moment... the next gameboy hasn't been announced let
    > alone released).

    Dude, Sony isn't dominating dick. The PSP is not going to kill either the
    GBA *or* the PSP, and it's not going to kill the next Gameboy either. It's
    going to be out there, and some people will buy it, and some people won't.
    Same way some people buy the GameCube, some buy the PS2, some buy the
    X-Lax--err, X-Box--and some buy more than one of them.

    It is not going to destroy your little world. So chill.

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (Shodaime Shirikage)
    www.lurkerdrome.com
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    On 03/25/2005 12:57 PM, Blig Merk spake thusly:

    > The PSP screen is like having an HDTV in your palm. If you don't have
    > an HDTV to know what that looks like, leave your ghetto hood for awhile
    > and find a Best Buy or Circuit City to see what they are like, then
    > imagine that image quality in the palm of your hand.

    Don't be such an elitist cockmonger, Bilgetwit. I know you have to claw out
    self-esteem in whatever sad little amounts you can find it, but HDTVs aren't
    even high-end consumer goods any more, and you're not some kind of Sultan of
    Dubai for owning one. He asked a simple question and made a valid point.

    > 2) One handed porn. Figure that out on your own.

    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. No, make that a lot.

    -Z-
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Funniest damn thing I've read all morning."

    Found that amusing did you? Nintendo *have* to change (their image) in order
    to survive, it's a priority for them. Meanwhile, Sony are content to sit on
    their throne of mediocrity and continue milk the next iteration of Gran
    Turismo, GTA, Final Fantasy and FIFA.

    Nintendo have been around longer, they've released more Mario and Zelda
    games than Sony have released Gran Turismo and GTA sequels. It doesn't mean
    Sony aren't doing the exact same thing as Nintendo are. Picture it in 15
    years.. what do you see? Another Mario game? Perhaps. Another Gran Turismo?
    Most Definetely.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > > And I happen to own a PS2. So technically, I've more right and reason
    > > post here than YOU do.
    >
    > Since you spew out some much troll-speak, I'd really like some proof
    > that you "own" a PS2.

    I spew out "troll-speak"...? Really, now. I just have a poor opinion of the
    PSP, primarily because of past experience with gimmick portables and a
    rather lackluster spurt of launch titles and announced upcoming titles. Not
    that the DS has a better library at present (it doesn't), but it has more
    titles that appeal to me, and is more innovative in that it actually
    attempts to do something *new*. Again, its potential hasn't yet been tapped,
    but given time, it will shine. The PSP...well, I'm sure that eventually it
    will justify its own existence, but it will take quite a bit of doing to
    convince me to shell out for one. As I've stated, I'd rather buy several
    good games for my PS2 with that money.

    And your "request" for proof is rather infantile. I suppose you'd be wanting
    me to "scan" my receipt for it from August of 2001. :P Please, even if I
    still "HAD" such a receipt, I wouldn't waste my time "proving" my validity
    to an immature pissant such as "yourself".

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (Shodaime Shirikage)
    www.lurkerdrome.com

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    My PS2 game library consists of the following games:

    Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, FFX, FFX-2, Disgaea, .hack//Infection, Suikoden
    III, Viewtiful Joe, Twisted Metal Black, Onimusha, DBZ Budokai, DBZ Budokai
    3, Harry Potter QWC, Kingdom Hearts, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Star
    Ocean 3, Katamari Damacy, and Mister Mosquito.

    That's not counting my PSX library, which is rather sadly diminished due to
    my selling most of it off to buy new PS2 games. I've still managed to hang
    on to a good baker's dozen of PSX games, though, mostly ones I couldn't bear
    to part with, like the Megaman Legends games, Puzzle Fighter Turbo, and
    Final Fantasy Tactics.

    The Dark Cloud games have, incidentally, the best camera control of any game
    I have ever played, and I often find myself wishing that more games had such
    excellent control.

    The jumping around in the Wonderland world in Kingdom Hearts is truly, truly
    annoying. The Tarzan world, however, has some of the most breathtaking
    scenery I've ever seen in a game.

    Mel, Emily, Sanae, and Cecile are my favorite characters in Suiko3. I always
    end up giving Hugo the True Fire Rune. I wish the game had voice acting.
    Geddoe needs to be voiced by Steve Blum.

    I haven't touched Katamari Damacy in months due to getting frustrated at
    Make A Star 8 (or was it 9?), because I keep rolling into the damn gutter
    and getting stuck.

    Mister Mosquito is the second quirkiest game I've ever played, but the
    difficulty kinda threw me--I still wasn't very good at handling 3d action
    games when I got it. It takes more skill than I had back then, but I need to
    give it another try sometime when I get my RPG backlog cleared out.

    I need the rest of the .hack games. Hell, I need to finish Infection.

    I rule at Quidditch.

    And Star Ocean 3 is just plain LONG. I only made it up to the second planet
    Fayt ends up stuck on--I can't remember the name. The medieval place.

    So tell me, Mr Pissant--do I own a PS2, or am I just a troll?
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > > Since you spew out some much troll-speak, I'd really like some proof
    > > that you "own" a PS2.
    >
    > Uhmm, can I retract this. After your last post I've changed my mind
    > about you. I really got the feeling you were a Sony basher with the way
    > you've been ripping on the PSP, but I take it all back :)

    Really now. Well, that's nice to know.

    Be even nicer if you'd actually paid attention to what I was saying BEFORE
    being a twat, but whatever.

    I'm not retracting the reply I just made to the above post, though. No
    reason to. *shrug*

    So long as we're all on the same page. More or less.

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (Shodaime Shirikage)
    www.lurkerdrome.com
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > The 'great unwashed' don't know any better, that's the problem. It's what
    > really pisses me off too.

    Yes, I rather got the point the first time. But again, that's not Sony's
    problem, it's a matter of human nature. NO corporation can control human
    nature, no matter how hard they try.

    > They're just going to go around in circles producing these games,
    satisfying
    > demand, all because the consumer is a halfwit.

    Newsflash for you: It's already been happening in Hollywood for decades. :P

    > > NEVER FORGET that video game companies are in *business*. They are not >
    > doing
    > > this for YOU. They are doing this to make MONEY. If they aren't taking
    > > YOUR
    > > money, it doesn't matter to them, because there are a thousand people
    > > standing next to you ready to hand THEIRS over. That's the bottom line.
    >
    > It's an unfortunate problem.

    Yup, and one that you really can't do anything about, so there's no sense
    bitching about it.

    Which
    > > is why Microsoft has managed to turn a profit on the Incredible Bulk
    > > against
    > > all odds.
    > >
    > > Yeah, real "stagnant" there.
    >
    > The PSP.. the PlayStation Portable, you can play the same old type of
    games
    > you played on the PS2.. on the move! Same old, same old.

    I'll grant you have a point there.

    > The next generation of consoles are sequels in their own right. Sony are
    the
    > ones who are going to call theirs the "PlayStation 3" for crying out loud.
    > Beefed up graphics and extra processing power, that's all it's most likely
    > going to be.

    That's all "next generation" consoles have EVER been. It's what the software
    developers DO with that extra power that really matters.

    > > You're twenty years late in making that prediction. :P
    >
    > History does tend to repeat itself... but of course, the "playstation
    > generation" (the ones who grew up with the original Playstation and
    nothing
    > else) have a tendency to not think for themselves, so as long as Sony pump
    > enough into marketing the consumer will lap the games up.

    Again, Hollywood has been doing it for decades.

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (Shodaime Shirikage)
    www.lurkerdrome.com
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > The PSP screen is like having an HDTV in your palm. If you don't have
    > an HDTV to know what that looks like, leave your ghetto hood

    Hey, we can't all be affluent racist retards.

    > Two answers:
    >
    > 1) The car. I can see where the cigarette lighter adapter is going to
    > be a must have. Think long traffic jams, taking rest stop breaks, motel
    > stops, camping trips, etc.

    Everything except "long traffic jams" is a valid point there. If you're in
    the driver's seat, you have no business pulling out ANY kind of distraction,
    regardless of the current level of traffic.

    > 2) One handed porn. Figure that out on your own.

    WAY too much info, thanks.

    I almost feel sorry for you in a way, though. That's likely to be the
    closest you'll ever get to the real thing.

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (Shodaime Shirikage)
    www.lurkerdrome.com
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    The Eternal Lost Lurker wrote:

    > That having been said, I have no interest in the PSP because it's an
    > overpriced

    As are most new game machines when they first come out.

    > hunk of fragile hardware

    What makes you think it's fragile? Did you drop one and break it? I keep
    mine in the carrying case of course, but beyond that it's proven very
    durable. Even my seven-year-old cousin didn't break it when I let him play
    with it.

    > with a scattered handful of subpar
    > titles I have no interest in

    Man, then you must have REALLY hated the other handhelds you bought. I mean,
    *cellphone* games are surpassing GBA games in quality now, right? No wonder
    the GBA has been such a huge failure for Nintendo.

    > and gimmicks which don't appeal to me
    > in any logical sense.

    It's ok if you have no interest in listening to music, watching movies or
    viewing photos. But given the popularity of iPods and iPod Photos, I'd say
    you're in the minority.

    > And most people who own handhelds don't play them "away from home"
    > anymore anyway. Especially not when most of the really GOOD games
    > require more attention than you're able to commit to on the go. :P

    Yeah, because when you're sitting on a plane for eight hours you need to
    keep all your wits about you, lest you miss your coffee refill from the
    inflight service. Can't imagine trying to play a game with all that other
    flurry of activity going on.

    -Z-
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
    > > That having been said, I have no interest in the PSP because it's an
    > > overpriced
    >
    > As are most new game machines when they first come out.

    Granted

    > > hunk of fragile hardware
    >
    > What makes you think it's fragile? Did you drop one and break it? I keep
    > mine in the carrying case of course, but beyond that it's proven very
    > durable. Even my seven-year-old cousin didn't break it when I let him play
    > with it.

    Wait for it. :P

    > > with a scattered handful of subpar
    > > titles I have no interest in
    >
    > Man, then you must have REALLY hated the other handhelds you bought. I
    mean,
    > *cellphone* games are surpassing GBA games in quality now, right? No
    wonder > the GBA has been such a huge failure for Nintendo.

    Um...WTF? Yeah, the GBA has really "failed", except that it hasn't. Last I
    checked, stores carrying GBA SP and GBA games were still doing a rather
    brisk business in them, the games were still being made, ARE still being
    made...

    Yeah, that's a failure.

    > > and gimmicks which don't appeal to me
    > > in any logical sense.
    >
    > It's ok if you have no interest in listening to music, watching movies or
    > viewing photos. But given the popularity of iPods and iPod Photos, I'd say
    > you're in the minority.

    Sure I like music. I have a stereo for that, as well as two Discmans, a tape
    walkman, a pocket radio, a car CD system, and my computer. Sure I like
    movies. I have a DVD player for that. I already have a copious amount of
    hardware that does these things, and I even manage to have something that
    plays video games! Therefore, I don't really need the PSP because it's not
    offering me anything I don't already have.

    If being smart enough to not be taken in by a load of hype puts me in the
    minority, then (insert favorite racist joke here).

    > > And most people who own handhelds don't play them "away from home"
    > > anymore anyway. Especially not when most of the really GOOD games
    > > require more attention than you're able to commit to on the go. :P
    >
    > Yeah, because when you're sitting on a plane for eight hours you need to
    > keep all your wits about you, lest you miss your coffee refill from the
    > inflight service. Can't imagine trying to play a game with all that other
    > flurry of activity going on.

    You know, the funny thing is, whenever I'm on an airplane for eight hours, I
    like to READ A GOOD BOOK.

    Guess I'm in the minority there, too.

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (Shodaime Shirikage)
    www.lurkerdrome.com
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "The Eternal Lost Lurker" <shirikage@shirigakure.ne.butt> wrote in message

    > "Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.caremovenospam> wrote in message
    >> "The Eternal Lost Lurker" <shirikage@shirigakure.ne.butt> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Don't try to use logic on these people. Just let them stare at the
    >> > pretties until they go blind, or realise they wasted over two hundred
    >> > bucks on a piece of junk they don't need. :)
    >>
    >> lol don't be bitter because you are poor :)
    >
    > Who's bitter? I'd rather buy five very good PS2 games, or a GameCube and a
    > few games for that I'd like to play, than a PSP with no titles of interest
    > to me. If I had the cash in pocket to buy a PSP, a single game, and all
    > the
    > trimmings right this minute, I'd head to the nearest game store...
    >
    > ...and get the rest of the .hack games (I only have Infection), Phantom
    > Brave, MK: Deception, and a spare memory card because my only memory card
    > is
    > rather distressingly close to full.
    >
    > That's about 300 hours of gaming pleasure right there, all for less than
    > the
    > cost of a ridiculous toy with zero decent games available at present.
    >
    > Smart gamers make better gaming investments. ;)

    Zero decent games? That hurts your crediblity since there are more than a
    few decent games for the PSP. Wipeout Pure and Tiger Woods are excellent
    games. Wipeout would be a top rated game on the PS2 if it were released for
    it, and Tiger Woods retains the quality of its console counterparts and
    allows you to take it on the go.

    RnR Lesnar
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Rich" <richp@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >> I am so sick of hearing people bitch about the PSP because they couldn't
    >> scrape up the funds to afford one. They criticize what they have never
    >> even touched.
    >
    > My Best Buy had a pallet's worth of them yesterday morning. I played the
    > demo unit they had, and just couldn't bring myself to buy one. Two
    > reasons: it's new Sony hardware - there's not a stellar track record
    > there,

    I have NEVER had a single problem with any piece of sony hardware. That
    includes PS1 and PS2, both bought on launch, multiple TVs including a High
    Def. LCD projection, and a multitude of other products. I have no reason to
    think the PSP is going to give me problems. Hardware problems are amplified
    on the internet because if you have a product that's working, are you going
    to run to the internet and let the world know it works? I'm not trying to
    sound like a sony fan boy, I'm just being honest.

    RnR Lesnar
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    The PS2's launch line up was pretty pathetic, now look at it. PSP's library
    is far better than most launch line ups, and the horizon looks pretty
    bright. I can't wait for Madden PSP.

    RnR Lesnar

    > "Jerry P. Danzig" <jpdanzig@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> Lumines is out now; I just got mine in a pre-order from EB.
    >>
    >> Whoever said there's no point to the PSP doesn't get the appeal of a
    >> handheld. It is not a rival for the consoles; it is a way to play a game
    > of
    >> console quality (read true 3D) when you're away from home.
    >
    > Having owned the original Gameboy, two Gameboy Pockets, the Sega Nomad
    > (boy
    > was THAT ever a waste of money), a Gameboy Color, AND the Gameboy Advance,
    > suffice to say I see the appeal of a handheld.
    >
    > That having been said, I have no interest in the PSP because it's an
    > overpriced hunk of fragile hardware with a scattered handful of subpar
    > titles I have no interest in, and gimmicks which don't appeal to me in any
    > logical sense.
    >
    > And most people who own handhelds don't play them "away from home" anymore
    > anyway. Especially not when most of the really GOOD games require more
    > attention than you're able to commit to on the go. :P
    >

    > --
    > This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    > Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    > but we can help with the headache.
    > ==============================
    > The Eternal Lost Lurker
    > (whose GBA has long since replaced magazines as toilet-sitting activity)
    > www.lurkerdrome.com

  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "RnR Lesnar" <rnrnospamcartman@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > That's about 300 hours of gaming pleasure right there, all for less than
    > > the
    > > cost of a ridiculous toy with zero decent games available at present.
    >
    > Zero decent games? That hurts your crediblity since there are more than a
    > few decent games for the PSP. Wipeout Pure and Tiger Woods are excellent
    > games. Wipeout would be a top rated game on the PS2 if it were released
    for
    > it, and Tiger Woods retains the quality of its console counterparts and
    > allows you to take it on the go.

    Okay, let me rephrase as "Zero games of interest to me". Or rather,
    ONE--Lumines has a fraction of my attention. But for the rest...I don't
    generally play sports games (except HP:QWC), I hate driving games, and
    nothing else on the system really stands out and catches my attention yet.

    My main gaming preference is CRPGs. I have a metric assload of them for PS2
    I haven't finished, and a bunch more I want to pick up at some point.

    What would it take for me to plop for a PSP? Hmmm...Dark Cloud 3 being
    PSP-only. :P

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (Shodaime Shirikage)
    www.lurkerdrome.com
  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "RnR Lesnar" <rnrnospamcartman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > That's about 300 hours of gaming pleasure right there, all for less
    >> > than
    >> > the
    >> > cost of a ridiculous toy with zero decent games available at present.
    >>
    >> Zero decent games? That hurts your crediblity since there are more than a
    >> few decent games for the PSP. Wipeout Pure and Tiger Woods are excellent
    >> games. Wipeout would be a top rated game on the PS2 if it were released
    > for
    >> it, and Tiger Woods retains the quality of its console counterparts and
    >> allows you to take it on the go.
    >
    > Okay, let me rephrase as "Zero games of interest to me". Or rather,
    > ONE--Lumines has a fraction of my attention. But for the rest...I don't
    > generally play sports games (except HP:QWC), I hate driving games, and
    > nothing else on the system really stands out and catches my attention yet.
    >
    > My main gaming preference is CRPGs. I have a metric assload of them for
    > PS2
    > I haven't finished, and a bunch more I want to pick up at some point.
    >
    > What would it take for me to plop for a PSP? Hmmm...Dark Cloud 3 being
    > PSP-only. :P

    Well that's a reasonable opinion, in fact it's my exact thoughts when it
    comes to the DS. There isn't a game out for it now that would make me want
    to buy it. Now I would get one if they made an awesome Zelda game for it,
    especially after the teriffic Zelda: Minish Cap that came out for the GBA.
    That was the first GBA game I'd bought in probably 2 years.

    RnR Lesnar
  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > The PS2's launch line up was pretty pathetic, now look at it. PSP's
    library
    > is far better than most launch line ups, and the horizon looks pretty
    > bright. I can't wait for Madden PSP.

    I learned my lesson about buying system at launch with the Dreamcast. I
    bought it at launch, and since have used it maybe a total of 20 hours, and
    most of that was for Capcom vs SNK.

    For other systems, I tend to wait a little while before picking them up, to
    make sure games I want to play are readily available...I didn't buy the GBA
    until both Advance Wars and MMBN were out, and one of the first games I
    picked up for my PS2 when I bought it in August '01 was Dark Cloud.

    --
    This post brought to you by Dammitol.
    Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
    but we can help with the headache.
    ==============================
    The Eternal Lost Lurker
    (Shodaime Shirikage)
    www.lurkerdrome.com
  45. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "RnR Lesnar" <rnrnospamcartman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> The PS2's launch line up was pretty pathetic, now look at it. PSP's
    > library
    >> is far better than most launch line ups, and the horizon looks pretty
    >> bright. I can't wait for Madden PSP.
    >
    > I learned my lesson about buying system at launch with the Dreamcast. I
    > bought it at launch, and since have used it maybe a total of 20 hours, and
    > most of that was for Capcom vs SNK.

    I had the complete opposite experience with the Dreamcast. I played it more
    than my PS2 during the PS2's first year. There were plenty of games I liked
    for it, plus quite a few online games.

    RnR Lesnar
  46. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "RnR Lesnar" <rnrnospamcartman@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >The PS2's launch line up was pretty pathetic, now look at it. PSP's library
    >is far better than most launch line ups...

    Nonsense. The PS2 had several game experiences you could not
    previously get on a console. Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run, SSX, just
    to name a few.

    Joe
  47. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    SSX and Tekken Tag were the only launch games worth while to me. Then I
    can't remember how long it took to get another game for the PS2. At that
    time I was still playing Dreamcast more than the PS2. Using your logic,
    until now you couldn't get experiences like Wipeout Pure or Twisted Metal on
    a portable.

    RnR Lesnar

    "Joe62" <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > "RnR Lesnar" <rnrnospamcartman@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>The PS2's launch line up was pretty pathetic, now look at it. PSP's
    >>library
    >>is far better than most launch line ups...
    >
    > Nonsense. The PS2 had several game experiences you could not
    > previously get on a console. Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run, SSX, just
    > to name a few.
    >
    > Joe
  48. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > SSX and Tekken Tag were the only launch games worth while to me. Then I
    > can't remember how long it took to get another game for the PS2. At that
    > time I was still playing Dreamcast more than the PS2. Using your logic,
    > until now you couldn't get experiences like Wipeout Pure or Twisted Metal
    > on a portable.

    Hence the dilema. Joe's argument does not hold water when refering to any
    "portable" in history but every thing he says indicates that he is treating
    it as a console.

    > RnR Lesnar
    >
    > "Joe62" <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> "RnR Lesnar" <rnrnospamcartman@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The PS2's launch line up was pretty pathetic, now look at it. PSP's
    >>>library
    >>>is far better than most launch line ups...
    >>
    >> Nonsense. The PS2 had several game experiences you could not
    >> previously get on a console. Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run, SSX, just
    >> to name a few.
    >>
    >> Joe

  49. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Richard Strong" <richard.strong@ntl'remove'world.com> wrote in message
    >> the forefront of it. Maybe when the industry crashes it'll shake some
    > sense
    >> into everyone.
    >
    > You're twenty years late in making that prediction. :P

    The only "crash" coming up is EA's Madden franchise. Don't get me wrong,
    they'll still sell a boatload, but the downward sales trend will continue.
    I bought and played the heck out of Madden '04, tried '05, but it was just
    too similar. With all the publicly evil things EA did since releasing '05,
    you have to wonder if it's high time they fell.

Console Gaming PlayStation Video Games Product