PSP - Got Mine! - Page 2

Last response: in Video Games
March 28, 2005 11:33:11 PM

If most of the handhelds you have owned have been those Lameboys, you may
NOT have seen the appeal of a handheld.

I made the mistake of buying a GBA and found the games terribly
underwhelming...

"The Eternal Lost Lurker" <shirikage@shirigakure.ne.butt> wrote in message

> "Jerry P. Danzig" <jpdanzig@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Lumines is out now; I just got mine in a pre-order from EB.
> >
> > Whoever said there's no point to the PSP doesn't get the appeal of a
> > handheld. It is not a rival for the consoles; it is a way to play a
game
> of
> > console quality (read true 3D) when you're away from home.
>
> Having owned the original Gameboy, two Gameboy Pockets, the Sega Nomad
(boy
> was THAT ever a waste of money), a Gameboy Color, AND the Gameboy Advance,
> suffice to say I see the appeal of a handheld.
>
> That having been said, I have no interest in the PSP because it's an
> overpriced hunk of fragile hardware with a scattered handful of subpar
> titles I have no interest in, and gimmicks which don't appeal to me in any
> logical sense.
>
> And most people who own handhelds don't play them "away from home" anymore
> anyway. Especially not when most of the really GOOD games require more
> attention than you're able to commit to on the go. :p
>

> --
> This post brought to you by Dammitol.
> Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
> but we can help with the headache.
> ==============================
> The Eternal Lost Lurker
> (whose GBA has long since replaced magazines as toilet-sitting activity)
> www.lurkerdrome.com

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 12:14:08 AM

> If most of the handhelds you have owned have been those Lameboys, you may
> NOT have seen the appeal of a handheld.
>
> I made the mistake of buying a GBA and found the games terribly
> underwhelming...

It's a matter of personal opinion. Some people enjoy a game with unique and
interesting gameplay and memorable characters, such as the Megaman Battle
Network and Advance Wars games. As well as easy-to-play and engrossing
puzzle games...and Pokemon. Yeah, I liked Pokemon. Well...the first two
rounds of it, anyway. I wasn't too keen on Ruby and Sapphire. A bit
overdone. And then there was the odd game that you didn't expect to be good
but was, like DBZ: Buu's Fury.

So yeah, SOME people can get a lot of mileage out of a Gameboy and its
library of software, and be perfectly content with it.

And then there are people who need fast cars, big guns, and lots of
polygons, and can't understand a game without any of those things.

You see? *I* can make baseless, ignorant generalisations too! ^_^

--
This post brought to you by Dammitol.
Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
but we can help with the headache.
==============================
The Eternal Lost Lurker
(Shodaime Shirikage)
www.lurkerdrome.com
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:37:16 AM

"Jerry P. Danzig" <jpdanzig@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> If most of the handhelds you have owned have been those Lameboys, you may
> NOT have seen the appeal of a handheld.

Lameboys?

I really don't understand this anti-Gameboy sentiment that's been popping up
recently. It just seems really pathetic... I guess Sony truly do breed
ignorant twats.

> I made the mistake of buying a GBA and found the games terribly
> underwhelming...
>
> "The Eternal Lost Lurker" <shirikage@shirigakure.ne.butt> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jerry P. Danzig" <jpdanzig@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> > Lumines is out now; I just got mine in a pre-order from EB.
>> >
>> > Whoever said there's no point to the PSP doesn't get the appeal of a
>> > handheld. It is not a rival for the consoles; it is a way to play a
> game
>> of
>> > console quality (read true 3D) when you're away from home.
>>
>> Having owned the original Gameboy, two Gameboy Pockets, the Sega Nomad
> (boy
>> was THAT ever a waste of money), a Gameboy Color, AND the Gameboy
>> Advance,
>> suffice to say I see the appeal of a handheld.
>>
>> That having been said, I have no interest in the PSP because it's an
>> overpriced hunk of fragile hardware with a scattered handful of subpar
>> titles I have no interest in, and gimmicks which don't appeal to me in
>> any
>> logical sense.
>>
>> And most people who own handhelds don't play them "away from home"
>> anymore
>> anyway. Especially not when most of the really GOOD games require more
>> attention than you're able to commit to on the go. :p

March 29, 2005 10:21:45 AM

How can you compare a handheld game launch title to the launch titles
of the PS2, the PSP do have some popular games out for it but the
gameplay and graphics on it wont ever be superior to playing off of the
game console, the PlayStation 2. I can definitly tell your caught up in
the PSP hype.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:56:05 PM

I wasn't comparing it to a console launch in terms of graphics. What I was
saying is that the PS2 launched with some mediocre games for the most part,
while the PSP has luanched with mediocre games in some people's eyes. But
the PS2 library is excellent now, despite an underwhelming launch library,
so there's no reason to believe that the PS2's library won't expand to
having a lot of great games. There are several people who are saying the PSP
will be a failure just based on its initial library.

RnR Lesnar

<shitikdf@msn.com> wrote in message
> How can you compare a handheld game launch title to the launch titles
> of the PS2, the PSP do have some popular games out for it but the
> gameplay and graphics on it wont ever be superior to playing off of the
> game console, the PlayStation 2. I can definitly tell your caught up in
> the PSP hype.

      • 1
      • 2 / 2
!