Built a computer, no display until 15 minutes later

rptdot

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Hello, i built a computer with 3.0 ghz dual core intel cpu with 8 gbs of ram, asus p5g41t-m motherboard as well as 650 watt powersource. When i boot the computer i get a blank screen for 15 minutes, 15 minutes later i get the asus screen and post and then it boots my operating system. i checked in the bios if quick boot was enabled and it was.
I would greatly appreciate it if you guys would help me.Thank you so much

I can't imagine any scenario where that would happen.

You say you have the OS installed? How long ago did you build this?

Is this a fresh install of the OS? Which OS?

Does this happen if you tell the computer to reboot, or is it only when it boots cold?

rptdot

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
the windows is not a fresh install. The OS is windows xp. After I built the pc, without plugging in the HD i booted it to see if it was working. I got a blank screen. I decided it to let it run and see what happens and then 15 minutes later i hear the fan spin faster and then I get the asus logo and post and then bios. This happens when when i boot it cold. As of right now im waiting for it to load so I can see if this problem happens when i tell the computer to reboot. Thank you guys so much for your replies!

rptdot

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I will backup my data and reinstall windows and update bios and message back. the power source is a rocketfish rf500wps2 500w. It's brand new. Thank you so much for your suggestions, I will try them asap!

rptdot

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

with the windows cd inside its still the same result it takes me around 15 minutes to load up the asus logo screen and post

rptdot

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

I installed windows and updated the bios to the latest bios on the asus server, and still i'm getting the same problem.

rptdot

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
what i have noticed in post is that i get this message...BIOS update recommended.
To unleash this CPU´s full power, please perform Bios update process . But the thing is i have updated the bios to the latest one on the asus website.

If it reboots fast, but takes a long time to reach the BIOS in a cold boot, it's probably the PSU as I mentioned earlier.

Rocketfish is a very poor brand and I would not be surprised, because it's made by one of the very worst manufacturers of PSUs ever: Huntkey. It's taking that long to warm up and produce stable power. Take it back to Best Buy and get an Antec.

rptdot

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

now when i reboot it, it takes the same time as when i cold boot it. Ill try getting a new psu today and post back