Sign in with
Your question

Advice for a Canadian build under $2000

Last response: in Systems
November 14, 2011 8:16:27 PM

Hey guys. I want to get the strongest PC between a $1700-2000 budget. This is my first build. I did some research, made a wishlist on NewEgg, and seeking your advice because I really want to make this count. Forgive me for being a n00b if my questions and wishlist seem stupid. I'm gonna try to be as brief as possible so as not to bore you.

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as possible, no later than a week or two. But I also don't want to buy until I'm absolutely sure.

Budget Range: $1700-2000 CAD (Also I don't know exactly what rebates are or how to use them, will ask later)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: All Adobe programs (Photoshop, AfterEffects, Flash etc) and other image editing/painting (coral draw etc), video editing (Sony Vegas, Final Cut Pro etc), animation (Toon Boom, Maya, 3D Studio Max etc), gaming, surfing, movies bla bla bla. I might also use music recording and editing in the future (like Abelton Live and such).

Parts Not Required: :(  

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Nothing specific. I was going to buy the parts from a computer store, but my wishlist on NewEgg looks pretty good to me. If there are better prices somewhere else please tell me!

Parts Preferences: The best my money can buy. I'm talking about the biggest bang for my buck!

Overclocking: Don't know if I'll be needing it, but best to have it anyways! 

I'll just show what I came up with so far:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $204.99

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 $329.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler $36.99

2x  EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti $499.98 ($249.99 each)

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM $47.99

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $204.99

Western Digital Elements 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive $139.99

SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo $64.99

Rosewill FUTURE Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $79.99

OCZ Fatal1ty 550W Modular Gaming Power Supply $69.99

ASUS VH232H Glossy Black 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor $159.99

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit $109.99

sub total = $1949.87
shipping = $37.92
EHF= $11.10
tax GST/HST %13 = $ 259.88

Total: = $2258.77

Any suggestions, recommendations, advice? Most importantly, are they all compatible?

I also have a few other questions:
1. What is the main difference between HD Graphics 2000 and 3000 on the i7? Is it worth it?

2. What to get for a keyboard? Gaming or just regular + controller? And mouse?

3. Is it better to buy from a computer store or online? If computer store, is it possible to find all the parts?

4. Walmart, Future Shop and Costco are all walking distance. Are some parts better bought over there than online (ie keyboard, mouse)?

5. What exactly is tax rebate and how do I use it on newegg?

6. The HDD, CPU cooler and disk drive all have this "Protect Your Investment (expand for options)" note in my shopping cart. What does that mean? Are they trying to suggest better alternatives or something?

Again sorry if my wishlist and questions seem stupid. I'd very much appreciate your help!
November 14, 2011 9:13:39 PM

Anybody???
November 14, 2011 9:31:46 PM

Hey there I'm from Canada as well. First off, for the price get this monitor instead. Same brand, slightly bigger screen, better response time, and its LED. I have it and it is awesome.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...

1. It is probably not needed to worry about , since you have 2 dedicated GPUs!
2. Depends on what you want/how much you want to spend. I originally bought a basic Microsoft keyboard for $10 but it was crap compared to the Logitech G110 I have now. Mine only cost $54 refurb.
3. It doesn't really matter. Stores like Canada Computers and NCIX have good RMA policies and Newegg has a good one too. I personally use the former since I can go into the store and deal with someone directly.
4. Same as 3
5. If you are talking about a mail in rebate, usually you have to send in the copy of receipt, serial from box and a printed form from the manufacturer. Not sure about the tax rebate.
6. Those are like extended warranties. It's really up to you. I only got that on my monitor.

Your parts are pretty good. Why the external HDD though? Also, there are new GPUs on the horizon, so if you are not going to be hard core gaming, you can get one Ti (like me) and wait for new ones. Or get 1 580 and get another for SLI down the line. You may want a 650W or 750W for some headroom too.

For better prices, check NCIX.com, CanadaComputers.com and DirectCanada.com (based out of BC and usually the lowest price). NCIX and Canada Computers have online price matches, so you can check Direct Canada and price match. I have personally used NCIX and Canada Computers and they have been good so far. They have stores in Ontario so you can do in-store pickups and save shipping! Plus if you have problems, you can speak to someone in person.

Good luck!
Related resources
November 14, 2011 10:22:26 PM

ARchamps said:
Hey there I'm from Canada as well. First off, for the price get this monitor instead. Same brand, slightly bigger screen, better response time.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...
Dont know man. The difference is less than an inch, and I read that anything faster than 8ms isn't that noticeable (read it from a 2007 thread), but then again I haven't played any games in years. I'm also trying to shave off a few bucks from my original build without going lower quality.

1. It is probably not needed to worry about , since you have 2 dedicated GPUs! said:
1. It is probably not needed to worry about , since you have 2 dedicated GPUs!
so should I go with the 2000 version? Will there be a difference if I get the i5?
2. Depends on what you want/how much you want to spend. I originally bought a basic Microsoft keyboard for $10 but it was crap compared to the Logitech G110 I have now. Mine only cost $54 refurb. said:
2. Depends on what you want/how much you want to spend. I originally bought a basic Microsoft keyboard for $10 but it was crap compared to the Logitech G110 I have now. Mine only cost $54 refurb.
Not in a real hurry, for now I just need a keyboard period. I might consider yours when get around to it in the next month or two.

3. It doesn't really matter. Stores like Canada Computers and NCIX have good RMA policies and Newegg has a good one too. I personally use the former since I can go into the store and deal with someone directly. said:
3. It doesn't really matter. Stores like Canada Computers and NCIX have good RMA policies and Newegg has a good one too. I personally use the former since I can go into the store and deal with someone directly.
Cool. I didn't know any computer stores. I've only been to one called Central Computers and it looked pretty sketchy. It's that if I could find all the parts without having to pay for shipping it'd be a lot better, right? But I don't know if they have the same savings.

5. If you are talking about a mail in rebate, usually you have to send in the copy of receipt, serial from box and a printed form from the manufacturer. Not sure about the tax rebate.. said:
5. If you are talking about a mail in rebate, usually you have to send in the copy of receipt, serial from box and a printed form from the manufacturer. Not sure about the tax rebate..
Mail-in rebate that's what it was :p 

Quote:
Why the external HDD though?well because HDD is for storage, and SSD is where I'll put my OS and software. As for capacity, the price of that one was pretty close to the 1TB HDDs.

**Note to everybody: I typing from my iPhone cuz I don't have a computer, it takes me forever to write a reply and refresh a page.**
[/quotemsg]
November 14, 2011 10:41:22 PM

ARchamps said:
Also, there are new GPUs on the horizon, so if you are not going to be hard core gaming, you can get one Ti (like me) and wait for new ones. Or get 1 580 and get another for SLI down the line. You may want a 650W or 750W for some headroom too.
Im trying to make it as hardcore as I can. Hmmm... how long do I have to wait? A month? 2 months? 6 months? And how expensive will they be?
If I do decide to wait I will just get the cheapest card that gets me through the day for now.

For better prices, check NCIX.com, CanadaComputers.com and DirectCanada.com (based out of BC and usually the lowest price). NCIX and Canada Computers have online price matches, so you can check Direct Canada and price match. I have personally used NCIX and Canada Computers and they have been good so far. They have stores in Ontario so you can do in-store pickups and save shipping! Plus if you have problems, you can speak to someone in person.

Good luck! said:

Good luck!
if theyre in Hamilton and I can find all the parts, that would be awesome
November 14, 2011 10:46:31 PM

I would stick with the i7 to utilize Hyper Threading since you will be using a lot of CPU intensive applications. The i5 is ideal for gaming.

Canada Computers, Tiger Direct and NCIX are really well known stores so it isn't sketchy as you might think. Their prices are generally lower than Newegg trust me. I have also had good experiences with their customer service in terms of returns and exchanges. Surf their sites and take a look at their prices based on the parts you picked out. Not to mention, you will save on shipping if you do instore pickup.

I have an LCD and LED monitor beside each other and the difference is noticeable. The one I posted is a $10 difference. Considering you are dropping $2000 already, it may be worth it. Plus, you will likely save money once you shop around :-)

Hope this helps.
November 14, 2011 10:53:12 PM

Anybody else?? I need more second opinions!
November 14, 2011 11:04:48 PM

ARchamps said:
I have an LCD and LED monitor beside each other and the difference is noticeable. The one I posted is a $10 difference. Considering you are dropping $2000 already, it may be worth it. Plus, you will likely save money once you shop around :-)

Hope this helps.
yeah might as well. Thanks man

Gee this forum moves slower than I thought
November 14, 2011 11:25:20 PM

Give it at least 12-24 hours :)  I usually get prompt responses.
November 15, 2011 6:45:50 PM

Anybody else want to Give me advice on my build???
November 16, 2011 6:33:19 PM

ARchamps, you said before I should wait for new GPUs to be realeased instead of the twin 560 Ti's. So what are the new GPUs, and when will they be released?
!