Replacement 6970 very HOT temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viski

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
EDIT: I just want to know if the #2 and #3 gpu temps are really supposed to reach 103C on stock settings. Or is my card bad/has poor contact and/or tim?

Hello again people... I got my replacement 6970 this tuesday and I have been testing it now. I had to RMA my old 6970 (sapphire) because it developed very loud coil whine.... so... I got an XFX 6970 as a replacement because they had ran out of sapphire cards. I had already waited for over two weeks and just wanted the new card asap so I accepted to take the XFX. Oh and btw this card is a newer revision (v1.2).

To the point:
I didn't watch my sapphire temps very carefully but I think it never reached 90 C on auto fan... I'm not sure though. This new XFX card goes to 90 C quickly and then the fan ramps up to 50% which sounds like a hair dryer... and I think it's louder than the sapphire fan.

Ok... so I ran furmark burn-in test for 6 minutes 1920x1080, 8xmsaa:
2vxon13.gif

I'm worried about the GPU #2 and #3 temps (102.5 C and 103 C)
Should I be worried? How about the main gpu temp? Should it go to 90C on auto fan? I'm quite positive the sapphire's fan never went to 50% on auto fan.

Sorry about repeating lots of stuff and writing such a long post... please share your thoughts on this and ask for more details if needed.

Viski

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Update: I undervolted the gpu with afterburner to 1050 mV and changed the fan curve a little. Ran the same furmark for 6 mins and the main temp maxed at 80 C. The fan maxed at 44% (bearable) and the #2 and #3 temps maxed at 87 C and 89 C. Am I safe now? Is there going to be any negative effects from undervolting? No?

!!! I'd still like to know if those 103 C temps at stock voltage and auto fan are too high and RMA-able. !!!

Viski

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
[strike]Found this: www.legitreviews.com/article/1488/17/
Looks sameish... so I think the card is just fine then.[/strike]

EDIT: Oh... that's actually a crossfire review so ofc the temps are high...

Any thoughts? Anyone? Someone please... !!!!

This sounds like a reference card. They had very conservative fan profiles and would get near 90C quite easily with stock settings. Their fans are loud too, in comparison to non reference cards.

What you have done is good and you should be ok.

Viski

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Thank you for your reply. And yes, it is a refrence model card with the refrence cooler. But do you know if the #2 and #3 are really supposed to reach over 100 C on stock settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.