The i7 line caught my attention. Excluding the Extreme series, this seems to be the "Second" best Sandy Bridge CPU available right now. The difference between this one and the 2700k is insignificant as far as my rookie eyes can tell, so I might stick with the "cheapest" of the two. Thoughts?
Side note: My gut tells me I should just wait for Ivy Bridge and get one of those instead but by the time Intel releases
them, the chances of building my rig without exceeding the given budget will be gone. Sure, by next year I will have more money saved but then I'd have to spend nearly %50 extra on International Shipping fees. Yay for weird currency exchange restrictions...
Anyway. According to my research, the biggest downside of not waiting for IB is that I won't be able to take advantage of PCIe 3.0 (the 2600k doesn't support it afaik). Is there anything else I'm missing?
LGA 1155 socket. Allows me to eventually upgrade to Ivy Bridge when I see it fit.
Z68 chipset. I don't have it too clear when it comes to currently available chipsets but this one looks solid enough and full of features since it combines the best of H67 and P67. SSD caching is a nifty extra that caught my attention even more.
PCI-e 3.0. With this I would be pretty much just leaving the door open here. My current choice of CPU doesn't support it and there are no PCIe 3.0 compliant GPUs on the market as of now. However, fixes for both issues are around the corner so it's just a matter of time (and some cash ofc) until this gets solved. The wait won't kill me.
I do feel that with this MB I would be turning myself into an early adopter of the new standard which, afaik, is still being worked on. This is where I'm doubtful. Once the final revision is fully released, I'm afraid I might lag behind with a shaky implementation of it. Should I wait?
Decent enough. Good size, Sata III & 7200 rpm. Relatively small cache though, but that can be fixed by replacing it with a small SSD. That'd also give me a nice increase in performance. Too bad I can't afford something bigger/better but I'll manage.
Depending how serious you area about video editing at the moment, you 'might' want to consider getting like a 120GB SSD for now instead of the HDD and getting a HDD once the prices come back down to an even remotely reasonable level in about 6 months.
But this very heavily depends on your usage, but in many cases it would provide a much better bang for buck at the moment now that HDD prices have nearly triple due to short supply caused by the floods.