Sign in with
Your question

NO Sound DEVICE anywhere to be found!!!!

Last response: in Components
February 14, 2012 7:35:03 PM

I have a HP 9720us Vista-32 and the sound device is now totally missing, as of 2 weeks ago, and I can't install any of the drivers from Conexant, HP, or anywhere else, as the drivers need a device to connect to. I really don't think the sound card is the problem, but it has gone incognito and not even in the registry. The audio endpoint builder is there but no audio. Funny thing happened a week or so ago, the Smart Audio speakers and mic came back for a day or two ( but still no sound) then they also went away again. I've tried every solution on line and none of them worked, I need some help and neither HP or Conexant is offering a solution and I see many many people are having this problem. Probably some %&$#ing Microsoft update messed things up. If anyone can help in any way, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I haven't even mentioned that my CD/DVD RW is also now gone, but I got an external DVDCD because I was tired of messing with this GD computer, but I'm back at it now with this new problem!

Also if anyone can recommend an external USB sound card (that does not require an existing soundcard) and works with a 2.00 GZ processor that would be fine also. I bought a Creative sound blaster but returned it as my 2.0 is not powerful enough to run it. I'm not even sure it would have fixed the problem.

More about : sound device found

a b α HP
February 14, 2012 8:22:16 PM

I would probably not spend any money buying new stuff until you figure out what's going on with this machine.

Although a pain, I would backup all my data and do a clean reinstall (and I would do it with Window 7 instead of that challenged cousin Vista) and reload all drivers. Once everything looks to be good then I'd reinstall all my programs. While a tough solution, it will ultimately save you loads of time, as several devices are failing and it is most probably an OS based issue.
m
l
February 14, 2012 9:24:11 PM

RealBeast said:
I would probably not spend any money buying new stuff until you figure out what's going on with this machine.

Although a pain, I would backup all my data and do a clean reinstall (and I would do it with Window 7 instead of that challenged cousin Vista) and reload all drivers. Once everything looks to be good then I'd reinstall all my programs. While a tough solution, it will ultimately save you loads of time, as several devices are failing and it is most probably an OS based issue.

Thanks Realbeast, I will try it if I can back everything up. I need an additional HD, also, since mine is currently full. I am a bit tired of dealing with the whole issue and ready to go back to paper, telephone and letter writing! Things were A LOT easier then!
m
l
!