what device class?

Hello,

for a Java programm I have to know the bluetooth device class of my lokal
bluetooth device

local.init('myName', 0x010101);

But I have no idea what device class and so which number I have to enter.
Can you help me? I use a laptop with USB bluetooth dongle and win xp sp2.
I already had a look to the bluetooth specification (Assigned Numbers) but
did not understand it.

best regards
Sarah
3 answers Last reply
More about what device class

    Sarah Klage wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > for a Java programm I have to know the bluetooth device class of my lokal
    > bluetooth device
    >
    > local.init('myName', 0x010101);
    >
    > But I have no idea what device class and so which number I have to enter.
    > Can you help me? I use a laptop with USB bluetooth dongle and win xp sp2.
    > I already had a look to the bluetooth specification (Assigned Numbers) but
    > did not understand it.

    This depends on what kind of device and what services you are offering to
    prospective users.

    Let me know this and we can choose the right one!

    HTH

    Rob

    --
    Rap it up for the common good
    Let us enlist the neighbourhood

    Tomtomclub, 1980.

    Hello Rob,

    "Rob Shepherd" <robshep@invalid.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > This depends on what kind of device and what services you are offering to
    > prospective users.

    Well, my intension is to write a software for a local computer which
    monitors if a particular Bluetooth device (usually a mobile phone) is
    available.
    So, my Computer (a laptop by Asus) is equipped with a Bluetooth USB Dongle
    (class 2). The Operating System is Windows XP SP2 but I think this should
    not be important, is it?. The device I currently want to detect is a Nokia
    6230 but this should not be important as well, right?
    I don't mind which services the mobile phone os offering. I just want to
    discover the device.s

    The important line in the library i'd like to use is

    local.init('myName', 0x010101);

    This is the line where my local Bluetooth device (the USB Dongle) is going
    to be initialised. But this line of code doesn't work. I have to enter the
    "right" class number for my device instead of 0x010101.

    If you need more information, please tell me!

    Best regards
    Sarah
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    Sarah Klage wrote:
    > Hello Rob,
    >
    > "Rob Shepherd" <robshep@invalid.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >
    >>This depends on what kind of device and what services you are offering to
    >>prospective users.
    >

    > Well, my intension is to write a software for a local computer which
    > monitors if a particular Bluetooth device (usually a mobile phone) is
    > available.
    > So, my Computer (a laptop by Asus) is equipped with a Bluetooth USB Dongle
    > (class 2). The Operating System is Windows XP SP2 but I think this should
    > not be important, is it?. The device I currently want to detect is a Nokia
    > 6230 but this should not be important as well, right?
    > I don't mind which services the mobile phone os offering. I just want to
    > discover the device.s
    >
    > The important line in the library i'd like to use is
    >
    > local.init('myName', 0x010101);
    >
    > This is the line where my local Bluetooth device (the USB Dongle) is going
    > to be initialised. But this line of code doesn't work.

    Doesn't work how? it won't compile, won't run..... What java API are you using?

    To define a CoD for a laptop computer from the assigned numbers document we can
    use.....

    Major Service Classes (bits 23-13)
    Nothing relevant so: 00000000000

    Major Device Class (bits 12-8)