Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS and Geforce

Last response: in Motherboards
December 19, 2012 6:59:40 PM

Hello,
have a watercooled i7 exztreme 965, P6T WS PRO motherboard, looking to upgrade from GTX 295 to GTX 680. any issues, limitations, suggestions on this arrangement...don't upgrade often and want to get it right the first time ...THX

More about : asus geforce

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 8:39:04 PM

Only thing that comes to mind right now, is you might need a new power supply to feed that new video card.
m
l
December 19, 2012 11:05:49 PM

Thanks Scott for the responce....already running an 850 watt psu, I was more concerned with things I don't have a clue about..lol. WS PRO doesn't exactly conjour up a thought of GAMERS motherboard. Don't want to shell out for the GTX 680 if the board is going to hold me back.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 11:46:13 PM

ernie295 said:
Thanks Scott for the responce....already running an 850 watt psu, I was more concerned with things I don't have a clue about..lol. WS PRO doesn't exactly conjour up a thought of GAMERS motherboard. Don't want to shell out for the GTX 680 if the board is going to hold me back.

Unless you're interested in overclocking, you only have a PCIe 2.0 slot instead of 2.1, but I don't know that this will ultimately make that big of a difference. Plus, it's not like you couldn't just upgrade yourself to an ROG board like a Rampage or Maximus at some later date and carry over the 680 when you do. :D 
m
l
December 20, 2012 10:39:28 AM

Not interestad in overclocking, and I'm happy with Asus, don't want to jump around. So if I'm reading this right, you're saying the PCI 2.0 slot vs 2.1 is inclusive? to overclocking only, and my present board will work for me.
m
l
December 20, 2012 3:11:46 PM

While the GTX 690 may be a fantastic video card be aware that there is a compatiblity issue with the ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS motherboard. As far as I know this compatibility issue is limited (oddly enough) the the ASUS branded GTX 690 cards. I've been told by ASUS that a firmware update is required on the card to fix this. Alas I sent my card back for this update and three weeks later I received my card and it still doesn't work! I know this problem may only affect a few people but the few it effects will save themselves a whole lot of grief (as well as money!) if they don't try mixing these two ASUS products.
m
l
December 20, 2012 3:15:32 PM

The above is a review from an Amazon customer. A following reviewer states that all dual cpu motherboards have shown similar issues with the 600 series graphics cards.
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 5:41:57 PM

ernie295 said:
Not interestad in overclocking, and I'm happy with Asus, don't want to jump around. So if I'm reading this right, you're saying the PCI 2.0 slot vs 2.1 is inclusive? to overclocking only, and my present board will work for me.

No, just that a PCIe 2.0 slot would be slightly more limiting compared to a 2.1 slot, but probably not in a way that would really make any difference.
December 30, 2012 1:55:20 AM

I've had one hell of a problem getting even the PNY Quadro K5000 GPU to work in the ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS myself. I have contacted PNY who simply dismissed me, requesting I send it back to Amazon for a refund 9yeah great customer service guys).

I've contacted ASUS tech support and all they could recommend was a CMOS clear. Newegg.com has reviews up stating the new generation GTX 6XX series and the Quadro K5000 (all built on the GK104 chipset) have issues being detected.

I've only been able to get the Quadro working in PCIe Slot 3 (slot one won't work at all period). Even this is only intermittent - suffice to say I only get a display one in perhaps 3-4 times. It would appear that the Dual CPU boards with PCIe 3.0 channels can't make sense of these new GPUs - the worst part is i've shelled out about $9000AUD for a rendering workstation that these cards were designed to work in (heavy CAD workloads on Dual socket boards).

As far as I can tell this is going to become a BIG problem for ASUS in the near future given this is one of the few consumer boards that have dual Xeon 2011 sockets. Strongly suggest ASUS/PNY look into this else customers are only going to buy Dell/Mac OEM systems with their own mobos for Quadro/Tesla platforms.

cl-scott, perhaps you might be able to shed some light on the issue? None of the current dual 2011 boards on the market are working with the next gen GPUs and no one (ASUS & PNY tech support) seems to be interested in escalating this for serious consideration in the next firmware release.

I will note, the 1 in 3-4 times it does get past BIOS POST and boots into Windows 7, the platform is 100% stable. It's simply a detection issue at POST that seems to be the drama. I've posted links to the full description of the error below;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1261060/should-we-have-an-of...

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2012122909392320...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
January 9, 2013 12:54:16 AM

Best answer selected by ernie295.
m
l
!