Small Form Factor (SFF) Gaming PC Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuitarded

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
I was thinking of building a new gaming PC but wanted to go with a SFF build. I traditionally have done a new rig from scratch every couple of years, but it has been a while since I've built anything and I haven't been keeping up to date on the latest technology.

My biggest concerns are overheating in an SFF case. I am hesitant to use any elaborate liquid cooling and really prefer to go with a decent HS/F combo (plus it keeps the price down).

My first attempt at a build is a Core i7. Can't get the NewEgg wishlist to be public for some reason so I'm just going to list everything out:

SilverStone FT03S
Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Z68
eVGA GTX 560 Ti
Core i7-2600 3.4Ghz Sandy Bridge
2x4GB GSkill Cas 7 DDR3 1600 Anything more than 8GB seems overkill for gaming.
Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM 3 SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD for file storage.
Intel SATA II 120GB SDD for my OS and applications.
LiteOn Blu-Ray / DVD Drive
Cooler Master 520 N 92mm HS/F. Was going to apply some Arctic Silver to this.

I already own a modular 850W Silverstone Decathalon that I was going to use. Note that it is an ATX PSU but the FT03 case I picked should fit it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256022

Overall this will run me about $1500.

Ideally I would like to stick with a Core i7, however it is 95W and as I mentioned my biggest concern is overheating, especially if I am going to OC a bit. The FT03 apparently handles airflow well, although at the cost of being a bit bulkier than a traditional SFF case.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Is the i7 really worth it or am I better of squeezing speed out of an i5. This may help with heat issues being that I could get a 65W chip.

Thanks

Solution
G
[strike]You don't need 850W. You can save by going lower.[/strike]
Don't think you need to worry about overheating with sb. If you really are worried, wait till ivy bridge? Lower tdp.
G

[strike]You don't need 850W. You can save by going lower.[/strike]
Don't think you need to worry about overheating with sb. If you really are worried, wait till ivy bridge? Lower tdp.

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
I agree with bear95 on the cooling. You're probably fine there, but I think he missed the part of you already having the PSU.

The only other concern I have is it looks like you need a slot loading optical drive rather than an open tray design drive. Looking on Newegg, briefly, I didn't see one.

-Wolf sends

G

Augh. *facepalm*
*deletes*
What'd you say i missed? :whistle:

Do you need a dvd drive? Install windows with usb. I find no use for a dvd drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.