MOTHERBOARD KEEPS SHORTING?

tjk2world

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
I have a 4p cpu power connector with a red, yellow, black, and orange wire. and i need to plug it into an atx mobo with an amd cpu. I can plug it in two diff ways and neither works. If i unplug it completely everything powers on fine. So i am going to reaarange the pins. Which are ground and which are 12v. If i cannot do this what kind of adapter do i need? NO THERE ARE NO STANDOFFS GROUNDING IT TO THE CASE, NO IT IS NOT THE CPU, ITS THE 4 PIN CONNECTOR. I have checked these over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

What 4 pin connector are you using? The 4 pin connector that powers the CPU is 2 yellow wires and 2 black wires, there is a 4 pin portion of the 24 pin main connector on PSUs with a 20+4 connector that needs to be either left unplugged or plugged in immediately beside the 20 pin main connector in the same plug, it will go on the end with a yellow and a red wire, not the end with two orange wires. If you only have a 20 pin main connector then those extra 4 wires will do nothing.

See the link below, use that to describe which cable you are using
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

Also, you really need standoffs if you have it in the case unless your case has little feet built in, otherwise when it successfully powers up something may get damaged by a short to ground, right now you aren't really able to fully power up the motherboard from the sounds of it.

tjk2world

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

I am useing standoffs but what im saying is that there are none touching the mobo were the should not be. In my case a 20 pin ATX main power cable and a 4 pin ATX +12 volt power cable. The 20 pin cable is being converted by an adapter to a 24 pin ATX main power cable in order to power the mobo. That works fine but the 4pin ATX is messing with everything. No matter howi plug it in its messes it all up. OMGOMGOMGOMG I WAS USEING THE WRONG 4PIN CABLE I GOT NOW YESSSSSSSS