Sign in with
Your question

Ati radeon hd 6990 on asus p5ne sli

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2011 6:15:13 PM

Hello,
Today i bought a Ati radeon HD 6990,after i installed it and tryed to boot up the pc the GPU fan spins at full speed and have no image on my screen.

Can anybody help me.
September 17, 2011 8:00:29 PM

Ok so........how about some more information.

Psu??
September 18, 2011 11:14:12 AM

Ye ofcourse sorry i dont know mutch about this.

Windows 7 Ultimate
MOBO: Asus p5ne-sli
CPU: Q6600 quad core 2.40 Ghz
PSU: 1000W OCZ
RAM: 5GB
HDD: 320GB

Enough?

Related resources
September 18, 2011 2:14:24 PM

So did you plug in both 8 pin pci-e power cables to the video card?

Did you remove the drivers for your previous video card before installing a new one?
September 18, 2011 2:17:51 PM

geekapproved said:
So did you plug in both 8 pin pci-e power cables to the video card?

Did you remove the drivers for your previous video card before installing a new one?

Yes i removed the old drivers and installed both 8 pin connectors.
Still no change, fan keeps spinning at full speed and no image.
Is it possible that the card isnt compatible with the mobo?

September 18, 2011 3:56:22 PM

No. I would think psu or something.

Either way, your cpu would never keep up with a 6990, you would have a large bottleneck.
September 18, 2011 3:59:14 PM

geekapproved said:
No. I would think psu or something.

Either way, your cpu would never keep up with a 6990, you would have a large bottleneck.

So you are saying that my cpu isnt good enough for this gpu, if yes what do you recommend?
September 18, 2011 4:46:57 PM

There are so many things it can be. Im currently trying to find someones timing for my 6790 to try since Im having issues with that. Did you do the basics (like they asked, did you remove the old graphics drivers etc etc) What have you tried?
September 18, 2011 4:48:21 PM

Oops missed something, I see you did all that. I ll shut up now
September 18, 2011 4:49:05 PM

sawyrick said:
There are so many things it can be. Im currently trying to find someones timing for my 6790 to try since Im having issues with that. Did you do the basics (like they asked, did you remove the old graphics drivers etc etc) What have you tried?

I removed all the grafic driversandplaced it into the other pci-e slot without succes

Is it possible that i have to update my bios?
September 18, 2011 6:16:49 PM

hey,

Im off to spain now so i wont be able to read your replys.

See you all in one week.
September 18, 2011 6:48:44 PM

The best way to tackle a problem like this, is go somewhere that you have access to a bunch of other pc parts that will fit your computer.

You will need another GPU and another PC with a working one. so ie you just need another PC

Swap out each part, starting with the GPU putting it into the working pc, if it does not work then the card is likely dead.

If it does, they its some other issue, once you've done this come back with results and we can help further.
September 19, 2011 4:02:22 PM

Jonas2 said:
So you are saying that my cpu isnt good enough for this gpu, if yes what do you recommend?

I recommend you overclock it to at least 3ghz to minimize your bottleneck. Otherwise the only suggestion would be new mobo/cpu/ram.

August 10, 2013 12:52:36 PM

The solution to your problem is quite simple. I have used this mobo recently and with an ATI/AMD GPU.
Best BIOS for O/C is 0608.
But for your problem wich I had too, you should consider these 3 things.
1)Mobo battery low voltage --- plausible.
2)SLI Bridge can cause issues if not properly seated.
3)Just update your BIOS to the latest 1406 --- I believe this is the solution.Look at the description!

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5NE_SLI/#support_Down...

Hope that was helpful enough.
!