FX-8120 VS I5-2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozeninreality

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Ok Im having issues ( Still ) About deciding which way to go with my upgrade.

I've been doing alot of passmark comparing and it SEEMS the FX-8120 can keep up with the I5 2500 in most situations. My concern now is the issues the bulldozer platform has had within windows 7 and what sort of hell I would have to endure to get it working. I like the prospect of the Amd FX build because I can build it for about 50$ less than an I5 build with decent parts. (Seems like the LGA 1155 Mobos are a touch more expensive base priced than the AM3+ mobos in general.)

So I suppose the question is this... If I do get the FX chipset (With a UEFI ready Mobo) what sort of other problems will I face?

I would like to get my order finished tonite and Im really hoping to put this whole idea to rest. I just want the best upgrade I can get for a reasonable amount of money. Ill post my current specs here too if it helps:

Phenom II x4 940 BE
4GB DDR2 800 ram
EVGA GTX-260
Biostar TA790g A2+ Mobo (I Think)

I plan on keeping my card as it is, for now I feel like upgrading from DDR2 to DDR3 will help enough for me to rock out skyrim for the time being...there really arent any games on the way that I even want to play that my 260 couldn't handle.

Thanks all!

Frozeninreality

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Is there technical reasoning behind that? Im looking for a conclusive reason not fanboyism =P

And the difference between the 2500 and the 2500k isnt worth the price jump. We are talking what, 400 or so more marks between the two? Ill get the 2500 if I get intel.

stanistheman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Haha me intel fanboy? i have the bulldozer. ok let me give you a reason the bulldozer acctually isnt a 8 core its more like 4 real cores with advanced hypertrheading second of all its single core performance is far behind the core i5 2500k also the 2500k uses less power and overclocks better and the 2500k

here linus explains the archteuire of bulldozer a bit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwTXoswO0bI

and here he compares the 2500k with 8120 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kd4dvLJQP4 the i5 2500k wins in every game

Also the difrence between the 2500 and the 2500k is you cant really overclock the 2500 the k at the end means the multiplyer is unlocked allowing easy overclocking so if your gonna overclock the the 2500k if not the 2500
the only real reason to get the bulldozer is if your using photoshop (like me) so yea that enough info?

Are you looking at passmark? Don't believe in that bs. Get the 2500k because you can overclock it and keep up with the competition in case you do not upgrade to ivybridge.

Frozeninreality

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Those answers are tons more helpful...However I will probably never overclock. I only had to burn out one chip to never want to touch it again. And as much as these suckers are starting to cost now days....ish...

I dont care about the competition so much I just care about a successful and worthwhile upgrade from what I currently have.

Frozeninreality

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Gaming, music, I do some audio engineering, 3d modeling, Working on getting into modding skyrim. Gaming is sorta light right now. I have BF3 but even my current system can run it with minimal issues. (though Im hoping I would see some improvements with the upgrade) Otherwise I play skyrim.

stanistheman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Oh... well that makes things different the core i5 is a quad core with NO hyperthreading and if your doing 3d modeling etc i would say IF your doing tasks like that alot you could get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115083 and if you get that you will need a motherboard that will support that spefic cpu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131722

I am i getting one of these toos ( i like to buy lots of computer parts for the hell of it) i currently have a core i7 740qm and core i3 2100 amd 8120 im gonna go for one

Frozeninreality

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I love the idea but its out of budget. Im trying to stay right at 400$ No more. I really do appreciate the suggestion though, thank you for taking the time to research on my behalf. Seems the decision is 2500k.

fistoffoo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

Actually Linus showed that in gaming the i5 2500K was pretty much a dead heat with the BD 8150

Frozeninreality

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah Im looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

Rating wise this board seems to keep with with same price range msi and asus boards, and frankly it seems the reviews are actually better. Never used ASrock and I swore I never would...Then again I swore Id never go back to intel so why not give it a whirl.

Real fast too, how is the stock I5 cooler? I have a cooler but I think its AMD only and a cooler isnt in my current budget. Im hoping they are well made, or at least I can get speed fan working on the stock and keep it running at 100%.

Delirious788

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
If you arent overclocking, the normal is to get the i5-2400 because the extra money for just .1GHz isnt worth it. Also if you have a microcenter near you I think you can get the i5-2500k for $180. Just something to throw out there...

Frozeninreality

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I added on the motherboard that I did so I can overclock. Idk Im indecisive about it, but I suppose if I do want to some day Id rather have what I need. But honestly, a stock 2500 vs a stock 2500k, is there really a difference? It would save me a good chuck of change there...

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Why would you hand build a computer and not be alright with overclocking. Get the k version so you can overclock for skyrim. You will gain fps all the way to 4.0 ghz in that game and if your even remotely careful you can't hurt these chips.

Frozeninreality

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I hand build because I refuse to supply these media giants MORE money for the products that tend to fail...(foxconn in my Pre boxed pc? No thank you.) I like knowing what Im getting and that IM the one putting it together. Guess its peace of mind?

My specs are already at the top of the page but my current cpu is a phenom II 940 BE (DDR2)

Status
Not open for further replies.