Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel DZ77GAL-70K boot issues

Last response: in Motherboards
December 20, 2012 1:35:49 AM

Hello folks, I'd really appreciate any help I can get with a strange issue. My new rig will not boot from a cold start in the morning after it is shut down. When I go to turn it on in the morning it will give 3 long beeps and a post code of 20 (memory/chipset) on the board display. If I flip the switch on the power supply and wait for the LED's on the board to dim; I can then turn the power supply back on and the system boots normally. I am using the following:

-PS 550W Rosewell Fortress Platinum
-Mobo Intel DZ77GAL-70K
-CPU i7 3370K
-RAM Black Mamba 2 x 8GB 1600 Patriot
-OZ Agility 4 SSD

I've tried to flash the bios with multiple versions, I've also tried one stick of ram alternating between the 2. All settings are default no OC'ing.

Any advice before I have to go through a possible RMA process would be appreciated.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 6:53:12 AM

have you tried clearing the cmos?
m
l
December 20, 2012 2:55:04 PM

Hey vanwazltoff thanks for the reply. I've tried to clear the cmos by removing the battery for a few minutes with no power to the board. Still having the same issues, its starting to drive me a little nuts. I am considering buying a new motherboard to be done with it, intel won't RMA my board if I don't test new memory and a known good cpu.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 3:27:22 PM

looks like you have tried all the typical things that i would so its probably a defective motherboard
m
l
a c 478 V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 4:38:00 PM

try memtest on your system...just to rule out the ram. in the bios make sure xmp profile is on. use cpu-z to make sure the ram running at the right speed and timing.one issue could also be is the power supply cant handel the power surge from a cold boot or there a bad cap in the power supply. so that it take a min or two for the bad cap to charge and give the right output to the mb.
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 4:44:12 PM

smorizio said:
try memtest on your system...just to rule out the ram. in the bios make sure xmp profile is on. use cpu-z to make sure the ram running at the right speed and timing.one issue could also be is the power supply cant handel the power surge from a cold boot or there a bad cap in the power supply. so that it take a min or two for the bad cap to charge and give the right output to the mb.

i hope nothing is wrong with his power supply, its an 80 platinum expensive psu
December 21, 2012 5:07:38 PM

Sorry to leave this thread hanging, I've been side tracked with the Christmas season. Smorizio thanks for the suggestions. I've tried many memtests and they've always checked out fine. The mem shows up as 798.3 which I'm assuming is half of 1600. 10's for everything except tRAS which is 27 clocks, FSB 1:6, CR 1T.

I am a novice with these xmp profiles, however all the settings in bios are default automatic. An odd thing is the boot order seems to change on it's own. It keeps trying to boot from a 3T segage I've recently added as a GUID new volume.

I sure hope it's not the power supply; as I've spent a lot of time picking this one out. I will try an Antec that I have for my Linux box just as soon as I have a little time.
m
l
December 23, 2012 2:45:36 PM

It looks like it was the power supply, I put in the 400 W Antec and everything is working fine. Now I am 2 days past the 30 day period, and have to go through Rosewill's warranty process. Not happy about this, I even tested the voltages with a DMM, I guess it was different under load.
m
l
December 23, 2012 6:22:03 PM

Best answer selected by mike_drz.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2012 8:22:35 PM

mike_drz said:
It looks like it was the power supply, I put in the 400 W Antec and everything is working fine. Now I am 2 days past the 30 day period, and have to go through Rosewill's warranty process. Not happy about this, I even tested the voltages with a DMM, I guess it was different under load.

that sucks, an 80 platinum shouldnt give you any problems, guess you got a dud
m
l
December 26, 2012 2:46:20 PM

Yeah, it's last part I suspected. Hey thanks for everybody's help though. I saved myself some money not buying another mobo needlessly. Hope everybody had a Merry Christmas, and here's to a great new year!
m
l
!