No beep even in barest bones set up.

I bought parts for a new PC I was trying to build, and when they arrived I set it all up and couldnt get a video feed on my monitor. I uninstalled everything and set up my motherboard + CPU + PSU + speaker. That's it, just those four things. You are supposed to hear a beep of some sorts in this scenario since there is no memory installed yet, but that is my issue, I hear no beep of any sorts. I tried so many different combinations (1 memory stick, 2 memory sticks, memory + gpu, etc.) but nothing would make a beep, positive or negative.

I'm wondering if it is a faulty Motherboard, CPU, or Power supply since I am confident I plugged everything in correctly, since I tried it at least 20 times. Just asking for some last resort help before I send back the Motherboard, CPU, and PSU for replacements.

Specs:

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
PSU - Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Core i7 and Core i5
(Note: The PSU is two years old, was using it in my previous computer)

Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2048MB GDDR5 DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP, SLI Graphics Card (02G-P4-3660-KR) Graphics Cards 02G-P4-3660-KR
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)

I'm at a complete loss as to what is wrong, any help is appreciated.
9 answers Last reply
More about beep barest bones
  1. Also I should add:

I tried setting up the old computer I was using previously (the one with the same power supply), and it also didn't work, but I did get no-memory-located beeps from the old motherboard, which makes me wonder if that means something.
  2. Sounds to me like you have a power supply issue. You can set up your new system without the GPU (your 3570k has a integrated GPU in it). Just hook up your system without the GPU and see what you get. If you get the same result, than I would try a different PSU, borrow one from a friend if you can.
  3. I'm leaning towards power supply, but I assume my power supply is sufficient if working? That is, I could just get the same model, but a brand new one?
  4. Yes you can get the same one if you like. You should look into at least a 500w quality PSU at the minimum for your system. I'd recommend Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C, to name a few.

Here is one to consider, if your going to buy a PSU:
    $59 shipped!
    Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

$85 - $10 MIRc = $75!
    CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
  5. Got the new power supply, still the same result. Sending for replacement Motherboard and CPU to try next.
  6. mstrmnybgs said:
    Got the new power supply, still the same result. Sending for replacement Motherboard and CPU to try next.

I would start with the Mobo first, CPU's are quite reliable and tend to not be an issue, but it's possible it's bad (very slim chance though).
  7. Got a replacement motherboard and cpu in the mail today, everything works perfectly fine. Thanks for the help.
  8. Oh, glad to hear it!! And I'm glad that I could help out. Now abuse/use your system and Happy New Year!
  9. You could try out the old CPU in your system, if you didn't RMA it too, just to see if your CPU is fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Memory Motherboards Product