Code 55 after system crash

russianfool

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Hey guys, I recently built a new gaming rig. Booted fine, everything gets detected fine. After some time the system froze (no blue screen or anything), and after a hard reboot it it produces the Dr. Debug code 55.

The specs are:

Processor: Intel i5 3570K
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600MHz
PSU: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91
Video card: MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti

Originally, I had the memory mounted in A2 and B2 (A1 is a little tight to access because of the non-stock heatsink/cooler, which I can reorient if I ever get more memory). One of the sticks seems to work in every slot no problem, while the other only seems to work in A1 and B1. The sticks produce strange behavior when used in combination, I can test it more if it'll help.

Memtest 86+ comes back clean for each stick individually. So is it the motherboard that's not working right?

Anyway, the real question is, what should I try/do next? Is it time to send the motherboard back?

UPDATE: After RMAing the memory, the problem is resolved. Even though memtests came back clean, I tested the RAM on a friend's computer and it failed there too from time to time, whereas his RAM worked perfectly in mine. Cheers, and thanks for all the help.

russianfool

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Got it to run the memtest86+ with both sticks without crashing (just reinserted the second one after the individual tests), that comes up clean as well (as it should, since the sticks seem fine individually).

First thing I did, before even getting the OS on there, was update the BIOS to version 2.70 (was a little excited about the UI in the BIOS and all the cool features that have come around in the past 10 years). I don't think I changed any of the settings, but I reset all of those anyway (if that's what you meant).

Seems to boot fine for now, but I had it boot previously as well before it froze up. Will keep this updated.

Thanks for the help :)

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Yea, there should be a reset bios button on there somewhere or you could just pull the battery out for a few minutes.

You should do this after a BIOS update anyways, to clear out any junk data in the CMOS(where the BIOS stores it's information).

russianfool

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Yeah, there's a "Clear CMOS" button on the back panel of the mobo, as well as a jumper near the onboard power and reset switches. Anyway, that's done with... Hopefully this problem doesn't come back (it's booting and seems to be working fine for the moment).

I might play around with the memory placement to see if that affects anything now (as it shouldn't), since if there is a problem with the memory slots I might as well find it now. Thanks for all the help.

russianfool

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Went to sleep last night after installing more stuff (software), throwing files around, etc. Try to boot the computer this morning, with the same configuration and settings... nothing, error 55.

I'm just leaning towards a bad mobo, since the memory seem to have come up clean.

I don't think it's me inserting anything wrong, since the memory is fairly straightforward to install (push it in until the locking tabs click into place), and since I haven't moved it from last night.

I mean, technically my RAM doesn't show up in the supported RAM list, but it's nothing special... Could this be the problem?