Sign in with
Your question

Build for ffxiv

Last response: in Systems
November 15, 2011 12:55:48 AM

I am sure this question has been asked many times but I can't seem to find anyone who can tell me if the system I am looking at will play FFXIV efficiently because of the processor. So, here it is and I hope it does and all answers and advise are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Case: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans

CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling
Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant

Motherboard: * [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair XMS Gaming Memory with Heat Spreader)

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Power Supply Upgrade: 600 Watts - XtremeGear Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

Hard Drive: 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 475MB/s Write (Single Drive)

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Speakers: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

More about : build ffxiv

November 15, 2011 1:31:02 AM

rofl, anyway your going for Water cooling I would bump your CPU up to i5 2500k that way you have a reliable CPU that you can OC the crap out of with watercooling
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2011 1:43:23 AM

(I haven't said anything useful b/c I don't know anything about FF sorry)
m
l
November 15, 2011 2:06:36 AM

stay away from bulldozer for gaming. You would get better game performance with a Phenom x4 or x6. Bulldozer is a good chip for production work, but sucks for games, go read reviews. And dont let the 'win 8 will cure all ails' line fool you. Win8 is not until next fall, and games will still only use 4 cores, so it isnt going to help gamers out one bit (but it will give production rigs a nice boost). Besides, by then they will have a better chip out anyways that will work out some of the odd flaws in bulldozer.

liquid cooling is for silence, not for overclocking. A true watercooling rig would give you extra overhead, but they are expensive. If a high OC is your goal then you should spend the money in a high quality traditional cooler, and take what you save for other parts. That being said, it is a good cooler you picked and I am considering one, but then again I do not OC, I just want quiet.

I like OCZ SSDs for their performance and size/cost, but be aware that there are firmware updates which are required for stable performance. If you do not have the latest firmware you will likely have BSODs and other issues. Other than that I got the solid3 for my wife's PC and it runs circles around my beast rig for everyday tasks. They are really great!

If you are going to OC and xFire I would suggest getting a little bigger PS, maybe something in the 650-700W range, but if you are running single card stock speeds (or factory OC) then you will be more than fine with 600W.

Other than the dozer it is a good solid build. Only other suggestion I would have would be to consider moving to the intel side with a 2500k as it will run cooler, OC better, and have generally better performance for most things than anything on AMD side, while not costing much (if anything) more. But build what you know. I know intel, so I buy intel. I know nvidia, so I buy nvidia. If I had a proper reason to go AMD then I would, but I would admit it would be with hesitation as it would be a whole new animal to learn the quarks of.
m
l
November 15, 2011 2:35:20 AM

I found another which is the Phenom II x6 1055T. What are your thoughts on this? It is a bit more expensive and this upgrade will push it over my budget but not so much so that I give up. As far as OC, I hadn't planned on it for quite a while, if ever. I do not know how to do that and therefore would not even attempt it. lol

As far as the rest of the system, does it look ok? The graphics card sufficient to at least run the game on mid lvl and get decent framerates?
m
l
!