Sign in with
Your question

Shut down's when gaming.

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
December 20, 2012 7:45:53 AM

Morning all,

I'll give you a little background on the situation first...
I've recently bought a new AMD FX-8350, bought a new motherboard to support it ASRock 990FX Extreme 3, as well as an extra 8GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM.

Current PC Specs:

Zalman Z11 Plus Case (new)
AMD FX-8350 8 Core CPU (new)
ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 Motherboard (new)
Thermaltake 700w PSU
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 RAM (Blue)
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 RAM (Black, new)
ATI Radeon 5850 HD
Samsung F1 1TB Hard drive.

After setting her up, I reinstalled Windows, got everything back up & running. Reinstalled a game I'm currently playing (DayZ) & booted it up.

After playing for about 2 hours, my PC just turned itself off... Wouldn't let me turn it back on... Power button was non responsive. I had to unplug the mains from the PSU, wait about 25mins, and eventually it booted back up. Loaded up DayZ again, played for another hour or so, and it did exactly the same thing...

For those who don't know DayZ is very very CPU hungry... But, I didnt have these issues on my old chip/board (AMD FX-4100/ASUS M5A78L-M LX)...

I decided to run a Prime95 over night... Here are the results:

Blend Test

255 tests completed in 8 hours 18 minutes with 0 errors and 0 warnings...
Tj Max - 70*C
Max Temperature during test 47*C

Looks like the CPU is ok...

I'm currently running Memtest86+ (v4.20) whilst writing this thread... It's been running for 1 hours 6 minutes so far... Below is a picture of the current results...

I have no idea what this error message means, hopefully someone here can assist me with that.

Another thing thats changed is my PSU. I mentioned above that I've bought a Zalman Z11 case... I used to have a Antec P180, but due to the Motherboard size, it doesn't fit in the case, so I swapped my Case/PSU (Corsair TX 650W) with a spare my Dad had (this Thermaltake PSU)... I didnt bother taking my Corsair out of my old case, as using the Thermaltake just seemed the easier option, I'm under the impression that a brand like Thermaltake make decent PSU's... Although the reason I'm writing this is I've read that they dont....

Anyway, any other information you need, please do ask.

Thanks, Ryan

More about : shut gaming

December 20, 2012 8:00:53 AM

Some reason I can't edit the above post, but I just wanted to add that I have a Noctua NH-U9B SE2 Heatsink
a b } Memory
December 20, 2012 8:03:04 AM

Maybe there is a loose soldering contact on ur PSU when it gets hot.

Try to use back the old PSU or use the corsair PSU and try it out.
Related resources
December 20, 2012 8:09:30 AM

ttcboy said:
Maybe there is a loose soldering contact on ur PSU when it gets hot.

Try to use back the old PSU or use the corsair PSU and try it out.

Yeah thats the next task... My only concern is the error on Memtest... Should I be worried about that right now?
December 20, 2012 3:26:20 PM

Try to run only 1 stick of ram. One without errors and test again. If it fails again, its not the ram.
December 20, 2012 4:35:59 PM

Swapped the PSU over to the Corsair 650W HX. Seems to have sorted the probem.

I've been playing for a good 3 hours solid, everything seems ok.

Thanks
a b } Memory
December 20, 2012 4:42:13 PM

How closely matched are the RAM sticks? Rated at same timings and volts?

I thought that Thermaltake has some iffy power supplies but not for sure. Might check your model at the Johnny Guru site. If you had to rest the PSU before it would come back to life that's a little suspect.

December 21, 2012 7:08:44 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
How closely matched are the RAM sticks? Rated at same timings and volts?

I thought that Thermaltake has some iffy power supplies but not for sure. Might check your model at the Johnny Guru site. If you had to rest the PSU before it would come back to life that's a little suspect.

They're exactly the same RAM, only thing that's different is the colour of the sticks.

I'm currently running a memtest with this Corsair PSU I have installed... It seemed to sort the shutting down issue, hopefully it fixes these errors I saw yesterday! Not sure if thats even possible mind you.

Thanks
December 21, 2012 11:07:38 AM

Well, I've just completed the memtest for 4 hours and there are no errors at all.

Looks like the PSU was causing these errors...? Not sure, but everything seems to be ok now.
a b } Memory
December 21, 2012 10:41:26 PM

Glad to hear your problem is solved.

If the voltage fluctuate too much or there are lots of noise in ur current, it will affect the components, especially the ones that are sensitive.

I guess ur mem error is due to the PSU.
!