Sign in with
Your question

System Issues

Last response: in Systems
November 15, 2011 1:53:18 AM

I've been having issues with my system over the past few weeks and I've never seen anything like this before so I wanna get some input on what could possibly be the cause of the issues...

Here are my system specs:
Built the system in March 2010
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
ASUS P6X58D Premium
Intel Core i7-930
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB (Bought this in February 2011)
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (TR3X6G1600C8D)
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
Windows 7 Ultimate

Over the past two months of so, my system has began blue screening as well as freezing up (without blue screen) in Windows. The blue screens that I have seen have not always listed anything specific as to the reason, with the exception of two. One listed tcpip.sys as the issue (which was a few weeks ago) while another said the issue was "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". Last weekend, while playing World of Warcraft, the system blue screened and automatically reset. Right as it showed the Windows 7 loading screen, the system automatically reset again, this time the BIOS only listed 4GB of the total 6GB of RAM. It successfully booted into Windows and the properties tab of My Computer also showed 4GB of RAM. Usually resetting the machine would get it back to where it would run just fine for several hours and could play World of Warcraft without any issues...

Tonight, I boot the machine up, it detects all 6GB of RAM, everything seems to be running fine, then it freezes up (no blue screen). I hit the reset button, and when it showed the BIOS screen, it showed the quick boot screen instead of the detailed BIOS screen (which is what I had it set to). I had Fast Boot turned off so it would always take a few seconds to scan through all 6GB of RAM while loading, however it didn't do that this time. Instead, I got a message that I either needed to go into BIOS Setup or load BIOS defaults before it would boot into Windows. I went into BIOS Setup and exited so it would restart. Once it rebooted, it gave me the same BIOS quick boot screen and then loaded into the BIOS Linux quick start (comes with the mobo). I exited out of this, and it loaded into Windows but programs were having issues loading. Almost all of my programs that were set to load on startup did not load, there were several blank spaces in the taskbar like they tried to load but they didn't. I reset the machine and when it loaded back into Windows, the startup programs loaded this time, but I started getting an error message "NVIDIA Update COM object has stopped working" I kept hitting Stop Program but the message kept reappearing. Also, Mozilla Firefox started acting very weird with secure websites. It was giving certificate errors for websites like the Google login page. I've never seen it do this before... I loaded up World of Warcraft, and I started getting addon crashes like the files in the addons had become corrupted? But I played WoW for the next 2 hours or so without any issues, no bluescreens or freezes, other than the addons having issues.

What could be the cause of this? CMOS Battery, RAM going bad, mobo going bad, bad PSU, HD going bad???

I've never seen anything like this, it's like several different pieces of hardware are going bad at once? Any ideas or tests I could run to check certain pieces of hardware?

More about : system issues

a b B Homebuilt system
November 15, 2011 2:10:44 AM

Boot with one ram stick at a time and see which stick is bad. You can also run Memtest86+ on each stick to find which one is causing you errors.
m
l
November 15, 2011 2:40:43 AM

I will give this a shot tomorrow. So bad RAM could be causing the issue with the programs in Windows acting weird?

Thanks for the quick response!
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2011 10:11:40 PM

Pulled two of the three sticks of RAM, booted the machine up and it seems to be running fine, just noticed that some of my issues with Windows acting weird is because the date is set to November 15, 2041. :o  Checked the clock settings, and it is set to sync the time on the internet... Could it be that the CMOS battery is going bad as well, which would've caused the BIOS settings to reset last night after it froze?

EDIT: Have installed each stick one by one and all have booted up and ran Windows just fine. Loaded WoW each time after Windows loaded and let it run for a few minutes, no blue screens or freezes...

Just ran a complete memtest86+ with all three sticks installed, passed without any errors...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2011 11:47:35 AM

Hmmm, it sounded like a stick was dying. BSOD are generally a memory issue. It could be that the psu isn't providing enough voltage to your memory and not enough to your motherboard thus draining your battery but I wouldn't expect that out of a corsair.
m
l
November 16, 2011 6:47:38 PM

I played WoW for a few hours last night after running the full test with memtest86+ and it didn't blue screen or freeze... I'm gonna keep running it and see if it keeps doing it... The RAM is 8-8-8-24 and 1.65V, could it be that the mobo is not liking it? I don't think that is the case because this machine has ran faithfully for over a year without any issues at all so it's kinda got me dumbfounded...
m
l
!