Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Hi Guys,

I have just put together my new rig... but because of the floods in Thailand I haven't received my hdd yet... So I put a spare 320Gb into my new unit and installed windows, completed updates, and applied all my licensed software.. My question is, can I use Norton Ghost to image the hdd somehow and transfer it to my bigger hdd when it gets here without worrying about the Windows licence ect.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
You create and image and then there should be an option in your windows installation disk to either install windows, restore image, and other stuffs. Select the restore image and load the image onto the new drive.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Ohhk, Sooo,

>Clone Hdd
>Insert Win7 Disc (With Both Hdd's connected..?)
>Have the bigger Hdd one as the priority
>Boot of cd (Into new hdd)
>Select custom install and select "Recover Image"
>Select ISO form old Hdd
>Win? >.<

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I've used the WD version of Acronis to clone a C: drive. In this case the D: drive was already installed and functioning as a D: drive, partitioned and with data on it. We cranked up the Acronis, told it we wanted to clone C: to D:, it rebooted the computer and booted into its own cloning program, and cloned the drive. We turned off the computer, unplugged the C: drive, turned it back on and it booted into the new drive.

I used Ghost to clone my laptop hard drive to a new SSD. I installed Ghost on C:, connected the new SSD using an external USB enclosure, told Ghost to copy C: to the new drive (without giving the new drive a drive letter). I told Ghost to make the new drive a bootable system disk. Then I removed the original C: drive, put the SSD in its place, turned the computer back on and it booted into the new SSD. Ghost didn't require rebooting the computer into its own cloning program to do the cloning.

In my research I read recommendations to use Ghost to copy an image of C: to an external drive, put the new drive in my computer, boot to the Ghost CD, and let it restore the image to the new C: drive.

In this process I learned that different cloning programs work differently, so you should research the one that you want to use prior to using it. And if your partitions and booting configuration are more than just a simple setup with one OS, you may need more steps for the cloning.