Sign in with
Your question

Differences between various Memory setups

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
December 20, 2012 12:44:23 PM

Hey guys,
I was wondering if you'd be able to give me a brief crash course on the differences between getting a single 8Gb stick or 2 x 4Gb, and 2 x 8Gb or 4 x 4Gb and so on.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Also, what should I look for when purchasing RAM? Are they all pretty much the same?

Lastly, when is 16Gb too much, and 8Gb enough RAM. I intend on building a $2k Intel PC for Gaming mainly, and I think 16Gb is the way to go to save me upgrading in the future, but is it overkill?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me. :D 
December 20, 2012 1:18:34 PM

ok well it all depends on how much you want to spend
intel's best chipset is their their lga 2011 motherboards and they use quad or four memory controllers meaning to get the most performance out of your processor you would run a stick of ram per controller such as 1gb x4, 2gb x4 and so on...with lga 2011 you can get a quad core i5, hyper threaded i7

inte's mid performance processors are the lga 1155 and they use dual memory controller meaning to get the most out of your processor's performance you would run 2 gb x 2 of ram, 4gb x 2 for a total of 8 gigs and so on

for a gaming pc 8 gig is plenty, i have yet to max out my ram....one bad thing with running a lot of ram is you have to run more voltage to keep them stable
m
l
!