Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

No power from my USB's

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
December 20, 2012 2:25:28 PM

Hello, after many hours trying to find a solution I have decided to make my own thread with my specific problem!

I have been recently upgrading my PC a bit (new SSD Boot and Win7). I was updating my Win7 and with that said restarting my computer a whole lot.

Last night I restarted it to let my updates install and when it booted back up my keyboard and mouse were not working. This is my problem.

I have tried every usb slot on my PC to see if it would work, but alas it does not. My keyboard and mouse don't even flicker when the PC starts which leads me to believe they are receiving no power. Like I said this is a very recent problem, both worked fine but after the reboot none of my ports work. I have read that the most likely cause of this is that my MOBO is cooked, but my computer starts up just fine(brings me to Win7 log in), I just cant do anything without the mouse and keyboard.

Some background information:
-MOBO = p5q pro turbo
-Have been restarting my pc a lot because Im having a lot of problems with windows update(updates fail to install dont know if thats relevant)
-Have Win7 on SSD boot with 500GB HDD slave

Sorry for the lengthy post, Im just frustrated and cant find a solution, although I think it is my MOBO(cant really afford to go get a new one right now) but I really hope I can find a fix.

Expect a quick response from me!
Thanks so much and happy holidays!

Regards, ND

More about : power usb

a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 3:35:45 PM

Can you use the keyboard to get into BIOS. If so, then its probably a driver issue with windows. Try to get to BIOS. Then try a different keyboard/mouse if you have one available.
m
0
l
December 20, 2012 4:09:33 PM

No I can't use the keyboard at all, it does not seem to be getting any power whatsoever. When I boot I try pressing DEL to enter my bios but like I said the keyboard is completely unresponsive. Thanks for your input!


Regards, ND
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 4:22:58 PM

Any way for you to get your hands on another keyboard (friend, family, neighbor). Or another machine to try the keyboard in to make sure its not the keyboard. Just trying the obvious.
m
0
l
December 20, 2012 4:55:01 PM

I have tried both the mouse and keyboard on this laptop they both work, i also tried a backup mouse and keyboard I have and still no luck! Thanks again!

Regards, ND

m
0
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 4:56:52 PM

does it have a ps/2 port? also are there any other usb devices connected, sometimes they interfere on boot
m
0
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 4:59:53 PM

also try clearing your cmos by removing the power cord then remove the battery on the motherboard, press the power button multiple times to discharge it, after 5 minutes put the battery back in then plug the power cord back in
Share
December 20, 2012 5:31:22 PM

Anonymous said:
also try clearing your cmos by removing the power cord then remove the battery on the motherboard, press the power button multiple times to discharge it, after 5 minutes put the battery back in then plug the power cord back in



Yes it does have a ps2 port and luckily I have an old IBM ps2 keyboard. I just plugged it in and now I can access the BIOS. Now once I am in the BIOS I checked if my USB's have been enabled and they are. I also noticed something that gives me some hope that my MOBO isnt toast! Once I get to the BIOS my USB mouse and keyboard bot work and receive power, I can even use the arrows on my USB keyboard to move through the BIOS options. what can this mean?? Could it be that I am missing a driver or something for my USB's that I might have removed when restarting my computer during my windows update problems?

If there is anything you would recommend as a next step or anything that you might think is causing my problem let me know! (Btw I have not yet tried clearing my cmos as you suggested, because of all this excitement with the ps2 keyboard.

Thanks so much for your help, these are the first positive results im seeing since they stopped working. Ill be here waiting for a response :love: 

Regards, ND
m
0
l
December 20, 2012 5:41:53 PM

Just another thing before I clear my cmos, it seems that my keyboard/mouse lose power as soon as the operating system is booting. Like as soon as I F10 and leave the Bios and it gives me the usual windows is starting, I immediately lose power to USB peripherals!

Thought this might help.

Regards, ND
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 5:43:10 PM

nick100555 said:
Yes it does have a ps2 port and luckily I have an old IBM ps2 keyboard. I just plugged it in and now I can access the BIOS. Now once I am in the BIOS I checked if my USB's have been enabled and they are. I also noticed something that gives me some hope that my MOBO isnt toast! Once I get to the BIOS my USB mouse and keyboard bot work and receive power, I can even use the arrows on my USB keyboard to move through the BIOS options. what can this mean?? Could it be that I am missing a driver or something for my USB's that I might have removed when restarting my computer during my windows update problems?

If there is anything you would recommend as a next step or anything that you might think is causing my problem let me know! (Btw I have not yet tried clearing my cmos as you suggested, because of all this excitement with the ps2 keyboard.

Thanks so much for your help, these are the first positive results im seeing since they stopped working. Ill be here waiting for a response :love: 

Regards, ND

sometimes motherboards have these weird issues, you may have to get a ps2 to usb adapter and use your usb keyboard that way. try that clearing cmos thing. i would recommend flashing your bios, that might help with the issues if you still have any. ps2 always works, i still keep my old ps2 around for this exact problem haha
m
0
l
December 20, 2012 5:45:57 PM

Anonymous said:
sometimes motherboards have these weird issues, you may have to get a ps2 to usb adapter and use your usb keyboard that way. try that clearing cmos thing. i would recommend flashing your bios, that might help with the issues if you still have any. ps2 always works, i still keep my old ps2 around for this exact problem haha


Will clear my cmos now doing what you told me. A ps2 to usb connector is not an ideal fix but would def allow me to use my mouse and keyboard during these hectic times!

Thanks again Van ^_^

Regards, ND
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 5:48:53 PM

your welcome. care to give me a best answer? haha. do your usb peripherals work in windows?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 5:52:56 PM

Try booting into safe mode and check the device manager for any usb controller issues. Could be a driver. Once in safe mode, try to use the keyboard as USB, it should be plug n' play.
m
0
l
December 20, 2012 5:53:50 PM

Anonymous said:
your welcome. care to give me a best answer? haha. do your usb peripherals work in windows?


I will most definitely give you best answer, I just don't want this thread to seem solved before it is, not outta the woods yet!
And no none of my usb anything works once my windows starts booting. I have power to the USB keyboard and mouse up until windows begins loading, then bam! I lose power to them.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 5:58:27 PM

hmm, thats odd. try flashing the bios if you can, that might help. you might have a malfunctioning usb controller if flashing a new bios doesnt work
m
0
l
December 22, 2012 3:12:52 AM

Best answer selected by NICK100555.
m
0
l
!