Sign in with
Your question

Dead core, or mobo

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 15, 2012 9:24:22 AM

Hello all first time here posting for me have read lots but never posted but I have some brain food for someone if they are interested.

I have been having problems now for a while with BSOD's and I used whocrashed which kept pointing towards a 3rd party driver which I got rid of everything I could and they kept happening.

Finally bit the bullet and done a clean install, deleted the partitions created new ones and formatted them only to find out that the computer then blue screened every time I went to install windows.

So it started I have tried just about everything you could think of, removed RAM tried 1 stick at a time, removed video cards and disabled PCI as the primary display adapter in BIOS and visa versa with the on board video, Disconnected the blu-ray and tried to Windows 7 from a USB image, reseated the CPU and all the cables both on the board and the PSU, Have run Live boot discs from both Gparted and Windows 7, I have reset CMOS from the jumpers and removed the battery Removed as well as all non essential peripherals mouse display and power.

Finally I got around to trying to install Ubuntu and at the same point twice in a row it crashed with a screen full of hardware errors for CPU3 there was close to 30 of them all about panic and corruption.

So I have gone into BIOS and I have only enabled 2 cores (3 seems to work ok as well) but now I can boot the system install windows the whole lot. But if I enable all the cores again crashes to blue screen before it makes it the desktop.

Now the strange part there is a CPU code update for my BIOS if I install that on all active cores and boot the system it boots to the desktop but only for about 10 minutes then it blue screen again and when it restarts it is back to crashing before it gets to the desktop.

Sorry for posting big it is just alot has gone on the last few days.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

More about : dead core mobo

February 15, 2012 10:32:29 AM

what is a cpu code update for your bios?
February 15, 2012 10:48:26 AM

Most likely you got bad cpu, but it be impossible to tell you without physically testing CPU then Mobo,
but i haven't seen mobo fail but work on 2 cores, so most likely CPU
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2012 11:02:11 AM

Dude, system specs? Toss us a bone here...
February 15, 2012 6:16:20 PM

4745454b said:
Dude, system specs? Toss us a bone here...

LOL sorry

HaF X
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4
i7 2600K
WD Black caviar 2T
Gigabyte GTX 570 SLi
Pioneer BDR-206 BD
16G Corsair Vengeance 1600
Thermaltake Toughpower XT875w
Corsair Hydro H70
February 15, 2012 6:36:55 PM

kyle382 said:
what is a cpu code update for your bios?

The list of the BIOS released for my Motherboard and the CPU code update was released after product purchase and I was experiencing problems so I updated to see if it would in fact help with the problem I was having. Seeing I was having unknown hardware error I tried to update that to see if it was a bug with the motherboard and CPU.
February 16, 2012 8:33:31 AM

Ended up contacting ASRock this afternoon and they gave me links to BIOS beta files for improved system stabililty I installed that and managed to get into windows resource monitor and it showed all 8 threads but threads 1,3,5 and where where labeled as parked and the it blue screened.

I then diabled hyper threading in bios and left all the cores active got back into the monitor and it showed all the cores active non where parked and the it again crashed.

So again im back to having 3 cores active....
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 8:43:31 AM

Have you got access to a similar chip, or a place where they can test using another chip. Worst case scenario your motherboard is the issue(After sale support is a nightmare, you can wait for a replacement or refurbished board for weeks), heard that ASROCK boards do very funny things. Best case scenario you have a bad chip and you can just take it back to retailer and get it replaced.
February 16, 2012 8:47:19 AM

Yeah I will eventually have a chance to get it tested got an onsite warranty but the tech's aren't coming out its been over a week ive rang them a few times but they are not returning my calls.

I am just trying to isolate the problem before they get here so they dont try and shaft me
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 8:55:28 AM

Smart move sir.

If its a cpu problem you looking at a 24hr swap out, motherboards are a different story.

You can kill two birds with one stone if they bring along another 2600K, if that works then you know it is the chip, if it doesn't then you are looking at the mobo.
February 16, 2012 6:47:49 PM

ASRock came back again looking to test to see if the motherboard is shorting in the case.... If that was the problem I should really be seeing instability no matter how many cores I got active wouldn't I
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 7:27:40 PM

From what I've seen if it was shorting it wouldn't even turn on.
!