Homebuilt vs Custom Built (CyberPower)

Encendi

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I'm a sort of technical person in that I can follow technical directions, make a few decisions on my own, and that I know a bit of basic knowledge (and I'm willing to learn more). However, I'm still iffy on building a computer by myself.

I've already picked out a rig from CyberPowerPC and asked for advice on it (just posted it in the CyberPowerPC section), but I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to build it by myself instead. My reasoning is mainly that CyberPower takes so long to build a PC and ship it, not to mention all the errors they seem to make while building it that I gathered from their numerous testimonials. Even the 5* raters seem to always have a slight issue.

I really can't take ordering the PC on Black Friday and having it sent to me on Christmas with the wrong graphics card, or the wiring messed up, fans broken, etc. and having to wait another month to get it reshipped. Not to mention the lack of Skyrim in my life for so long would wrench out my soul :(.

So that aside, what do you guys think?

It's not really an issue of price as it is time and customizability. I personally computed the prices of all the parts of a build I picked out on CyberPower a while back and compared it to Newegg prices and they're pretty much equal. However, there are a few items that CyberPower is missing, so that factors in as well (even though their options are fine by me).

I'm really worried about 3 things if I build my own PC.

1. Can a newbie computer builder really attempt this sort of task?

Building my own PC seems pretty daunting. I'm not a real handyman, so all this wiring and screwing is quite scary. Not to mention I have some gaps in my limited technical knowledge that might prove fatal to my PC.

2. What if I mess up?

This sort of ties in to the first question. My PC parts won't be cheap, at the very minimum they'll probably add up to $1400+ (they were $1500 on CyberPower). If I broke my GTX 580... I don't even want to think about it.

3. How long will it take?

This question is about how long the building process will take. It's not that I don't have time; I just want a good estimate so I can partition my time properly.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to the responses.

thebigbug

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
1: I'm 15 and I replaced a old processor with a slightly newer one about a month ago. That was my first time to do it and so far, there's been no heat problems. So I'd like to say that it went well. The rest is basically just screws and plugging things in. Newegg has a tutorial on YouTube.
2: If you're at least somewhat careful, don't worry about it. Check compatability before you get your parts and you should have no problems.
3: Set aside a Saturday or any other day you might have to yourself for building it. But try to build it at one time and not split it up between different days.

BlackHawk91

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hello,
1- If you really like PC parts and technology and are willing to build a system by yourself, then do it, it is really satisfactory to go through the process of getting the knowledge, investigating, watching videos and getting into the building PCs world and you will also save some money. It doesn't matter if your a newbie, if you never try, you'll never learn this amazing experience.

2- It is normal to be afraid, but here at the forums there are all kind of options and sources to get informed about the "what do I do now?" http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288311-31-homebuilt-buying-guide it's a good start.

3- It could take you from 3 to 6 hours if you want a good looking system and after that, the satisfaction of doing it yourself will be your reward. If you decide to build it yourself, please fill this form out http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice and we will gladly help you.