Sign in with
Your question

Which intel processor is the better decision?

Last response: in Systems
November 15, 2011 3:02:10 AM

So I was wondering if I should go with a 2500k and a motherboard that supports pcie 3.0 for Christmas and upgrade to ivy bridge when it comes out or wait for the i7-3820 which will support more pcie 3.0 lanes. I will be using this computer mainly for gaming and I will be waiting for AMD's 7950 or 7970 to come out. And if you don't mind, please support your opinion with why I should choose one over the other. Thanks :) 
November 15, 2011 11:28:35 AM

That's the 3930K. The 3820 is expected to be around $300 and have 40 pci-e lanes compared to the 2500k's 16.
Related resources
November 15, 2011 11:56:34 AM

what are your budget and current specs?
newly released x79 (lga 2011) supports 40 pcie 3.0 lanes natively. in lga 1155 platform, you'll need to wait till ivy bridge comes out in a few months. so if pcie 3.0 is your concern And you have the money, sb-e would be the way to go, for now.
imo for current gaming, 2500k + z68 combo is sufficient and is of better value. but if you multi task heavily, you might be able to take advantage of 6 core sb-e cpus.
afaik 3820 is a quad core and only partially unlocked, so you would be giving up some of the advantages of sb-e i.e. more cores, larger cache, better overclockability. you will need to buy a seperate air/water cooler for sb-e.
since there is no pcie 3.0 gfx cards to utilize x79's pcie lanes, their performance remains uncertain.
if you must buy now, a 2500k-2700k + z68 mobo + radeon 6970/ gtx 570 combo will serve you well - read the 2500/2600k reviews and gaming bench articles. for sb-e, wait and see how the pcie 3.0 cards perform, let builders iron out hardware and driver issues then decide if you want buy or not.
November 15, 2011 12:01:27 PM

Hey yo. Sandy Bridge-E is not for gamers/enthusiasts/normal people.

The i5-2500k is still the best performer especially considering the price/performance ratio.
November 15, 2011 12:10:46 PM

+1 to de5_roy.

There is no sense in jumping the gun and getting the top market *** that just debuted. There are some pretty bad reviews so far on the SB-E. There is not much of a difference. They basically took the 990x and 2700K and meshed them together. So you get slightly better overclocking speeds, 6-cores and access to the x79 boards.

Granted, the added PCI-E 3.0 slots are a nice add-on, but again, as was said, nothing has been ironed out. I would hate to see you waste your money to be a guinea pig.

To top it all off, which also has been mentioned and I'm re-iterating, more and obviously better tech is right around the corner in Q1. By that time, developers should have MOST if not ALL the kinks straightened out and the LGA2011 supported boards w/ your PCI-E 3.0 slots should be a bit more open for positive review.
November 15, 2011 9:06:25 PM

I'm planning on building next year, around late Q1. My budget is around $1000. This is what I have so far. I can go up about $250-300 for the 3820. Here it is: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I plan on keeping that case and that SSD. I will probably change a couple of things as new things come out. And if I go with the extreme processor, I will get quad channel memory.
November 15, 2011 9:27:45 PM

Lotsa changes between now and the end of March -- check back the week of your build.

HDD prices may even be down a bit ...

:) 
November 16, 2011 12:55:17 AM

de5_roy, my current computer specs are... 5 years old, cruddy, and for the most part, have been outdated for too long.
November 16, 2011 9:17:04 AM

thebigbug said:
I'm planning on building next year, around late Q1. My budget is around $1000. This is what I have so far. I can go up about $250-300 for the 3820. Here it is: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I plan on keeping that case and that SSD. I will probably change a couple of things as new things come out. And if I go with the extreme processor, I will get quad channel memory.

your chosen parts look good.
make sure that the asus motherboard and the ram are compatible with each other. add an aftermarket cooler if you want to oc the cpu (since you chose a 2500k).
imo $1000 is a good budget for an lga 1155 (sb- z68 or ivb- z79) system but it might be a bit low for an x79 system considering you'll have to buy a good water/air cooler, pricier motherboard, quad channel ram(to get the most out of sb-e), sb-e cpu.
next year will bring a lot of new pc components especially new gfx cards - some if not most of them will support pcie 3.0. i read somewhere that the asrock pcie 3.0 capable z68 mobo needs an ivb cpu to enable gen 3 speeds otherwise it'll run at gen 2 speed. you should verify things like these.
since you're gonna build next year you can wait for the new stuff to come out, read the reviews carefully, wait till the manufacturers to fix any launch issues that might arise (remember cougar point issue), fix driver problems etc (amd and intel are the usual offenders), drop prices. hdd prices are high right now but they might come down in the future.
November 16, 2011 12:00:53 PM

I have the hyper 212+ heat sink and an 800 watt power supply from corsair. This Asus motherboard supports pci-e 3.0 with ivy bridge. But anyways, do you think I should go with the 2500k and upgrade to ivy bridge later?
!