DO You have to have an sli bridge?

I was at the asus rog event a few months ago, and Tom Peterson ( a sales representitive from nvidia) said sli can be done through the mother board. However I always thought you needed an sli bridge. Could someone please help?

Solution
SLI bridges weren't required starting with the 8000 series cards from my research. However, holdingholder is right in that it reduces performance for higher end cards. The SLI data is transferred via the PCI-E bus when not using a bridge. Lower end cards can't saturate this bus, but higher end cards can and will suffer when it happens.

Satrack

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
I think:

The motherboard has to SUPPORT SLI or Crossfire. If it does, then you need the bridges according to your cards. 2/3/4 way SLI/CF bridges ARE needed for the GPU to communicate with each other. So if you've got the bridges and the motherboard that supports SLI /CF (don't forget to get a PSU according to your needs), you're good to go.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
SLI bridges weren't required starting with the 8000 series cards from my research. However, holdingholder is right in that it reduces performance for higher end cards. The SLI data is transferred via the PCI-E bus when not using a bridge. Lower end cards can't saturate this bus, but higher end cards can and will suffer when it happens.

Solution