Sign in with
Your question

PC restarts immediately

Last response: in Components
February 15, 2012 2:25:44 PM

As soon as I switch my PC on it immediately powers off (as if the powers been cut off) and then restarts on its own 2 seconds later. If I keep the PC plugged in (to the mains) this problem doesn’t occur. When it’s restarted I have no problems. I’ve got an overclocked CPU and even when pushed the system remains stable. Is this a PSU fault? Help please

More about : restarts immediately

February 15, 2012 2:33:27 PM

looks like the overclock is forcing the cpu to turn off, so the windows removes the overclock and enter normally, isn't that what is happening? do you still with overclocked cpu when enter in windows?
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2012 2:48:39 PM

are you talking about a laptop or a desktop?

if its an asus motherboard the double post is a common problem
Related resources
February 15, 2012 3:51:00 PM

Its a desktop and a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard

I've used CPU ID tool to the check the overclock, all appears to be okay. Core Speed shows 3800.0MHz
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2012 3:59:04 PM

i have a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 and an i7-920 in my second pc thats going on ebay soon now i have a 2600k

the double post is something to do with overclocking it--cant remember if you have to disable pll overvolting or

something similar in the bios

but mine did it for over a year with no problems

so its nothing to do with your psu
February 15, 2012 4:00:25 PM

are you sure this is not the stock speed with turbo boost active, probably the cpu overclock is wrong so it reboot and restart to the default overclock?

try removing the overclock and try again.
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2012 4:03:57 PM

ricardois said:
by any means is it a i7 2600, if yes this is stock speed with turbo boost active, probably the cpu overclock is wrong so it reboot and restart to the default overclock?

try removing the overclock and try again.

its not a i7 2600 he has because thats an x58 chipset so its a i7-920 or i7-950 etc cpu

February 15, 2012 4:06:04 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
its not a i7 2600 he has because thats an x58 chipset so its a i7-920 or i7-950 etc cpu

i edited just after i've posted it xD didn't read the motherboard/cpu.

still, remove the overclock and test if the problem remains.
February 15, 2012 8:03:29 PM

I had this kinda problem, computer kept booting up even though I hitted shutdown.

Replaced the PSU and all is good again. Old PSU was 150€+ "quality" and still it gave up on me on the pribe age of 4. (bought 2008)
February 16, 2012 4:46:58 PM

Thanks for everybodys help, I will rollback the CPU to its stock clock speeds as soon as I can. I'll let you know the outcome asap, thanks again!
February 17, 2012 11:16:16 AM

I'm not sure that removing the overlcock will change anything. I removed the PC from the mains, reconnected, then restarted the PC. The PC started, immediately stopped and then started on its own, and the overlock remained. Surely if there was a problem with the overclock when the PC restarts it would restore the bios defaults?

February 17, 2012 11:34:23 AM

Try it and see... just save the values to re-overlock it again if nothing changed, maybe he is just fixing the voltage or something like that when he restart.
a b ) Power supply
February 17, 2012 1:21:08 PM

its not that theres a problem with the overclock as such--mine was perfectly stable at 4.0ghz

its just that when you overclock it tends to cause the multiple post issue

wasnt pll overvoltage--thats my new motherboard i was thinking of

save your current bios settings to a profile--f11 or f12 in the bios

then set defaults to see if it cures it--you can reload your profile by pressing f11 or f12

also check you have the latest bios--a bios update may help
!