Question about the G850

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucasrivers

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Hello,

I currently have a AMD Phenom 2 X4 840 3.2GHZ, I'm looking to upgrade to Intel Sandy Bridge and i'm wondering if the intel G850 will out performe my current CPU. I know any other sandy Brigde CPU will, i'm just wondering if this chip will.

I play a lot of high-end games and the system will include this:

8GB DDR3 1866MHZ
600W PSU
ASUS Z68 Motherboard
Geforce 560 TI Superclocked
(Mabey) Intel G850

Will this build still allow me to to play the game i want, MW3, BLOPS, Rage, BF3, Skyrim Etc....

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
According to the Gaming CPU Hierarchy chart, you probably won't see a huge difference. Some games will see a noticable increase from more cores but most won't. I'd soldier along with the G850 until you can save up enough to buy a i5-2500K. There's no way to get anywhere near that kind of performance from your current motherboard. On a new build, I've always found the CPU to be the best place to skimp initially and then upgrade it 6-9 months later. I often spend less that way than if I'd bought the faster CPU from the beginning, which I couldn't afford in the first place.

seumas_beathan

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Not all about cores, IMO the g850 would be no worse but not so good that it would be worth it. If you really want sandy bridge though then go for the i5 2500k That cpu will still be great in 3-4 years

G

according to this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-10.html

the G850 hangs with the (stock) phenom II big boys. look at the specific benchies in the previous pages to see where they swap blows. however i am not sure if there *could* a situation where you might suspect it bottlenecking the 560 ti. though the test system was with a 7970 so that might be doubtful.

as much as everyone seems to like the i3 2100 i went with the 2120, a little more bang for the buck, and though i do not play skyrim or BF3 i am very happy with the experience i have in MW3 and rage with the 550ti i picked up also.

Status
Not open for further replies.