Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Looking for a case

Last response: in Components
February 15, 2012 3:28:23 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a full tower case that has good airflow and will be able to fit a big enough liquid cooling system later down the road. I plan on LCing the CPU and two GPU's once I get the funds to set it up, so I'll need enough airflow to cool two GPU's until then. My budget is anywhere from $150 to $200, but I'm able to go a little higher if need be. I'm not very picky on looks, so long as it doesn't look too ridiculous or plain.

More about : case

a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2012 3:40:40 PM

The CoolerMaster Storm Trooper or HAF-X are both large cases that are well built with great airflow.

The Corsair 800D is a great case, but a bit above your budget.

The Azza Fusion 4000 is a great choice, especially with the top compartment.

The NZXT Phantom is also a great case with tons of room, and a couple color choices.
Score
February 15, 2012 3:48:31 PM

itzdanielp said:
The CoolerMaster Storm Trooper or HAF-X are both large cases that are well built with great airflow.

The Corsair 800D is a great case, but a bit above your budget.

The Azza Fusion 4000 is a great choice, especially with the top compartment.

The NZXT Phantom is also a great case with tons of room, and a couple color choices.

I was actually looking at the storm trooper and the HAF X and I liked them both, I was a bit worried about how well they would do with two rads in them.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2012 4:04:39 PM

Neither of those cases would work too well with 2 rads. It can be done, but would take a good deal of customization.

The Azza fusion 4k http://azzatek.com/csaz-4000-gallery.html would be the easiest for multi-rad setups. Unless you wanted to spend a lot more on a CaseLabs case.
February 15, 2012 4:25:29 PM

cooler master haf x dude it even has wheels!
Score
February 15, 2012 4:33:20 PM

mountain mods cases are great for watercooling... they are a bit on the expensive side (the way I would configure a pinnacle comes out to 300) but here is a link to their "Avalanche" section which is cases that you don't get to configure and weren't shipped to customers due to minor problems (ie. a scratch on the finish)

http://www.mountainmods.com/avalanche-items-c-101.html?...

both the avalanche items would easily incorporate double rads... and their HDD mounting solution is awesome IMO (a bracket that attaches to a 120mm fan and can hold 3 HDDs so you can mount the HDDs anywhere there is 120mm fan)
Score
February 15, 2012 4:35:52 PM

I completely changed my thinking on cases for my last build, I used to buy $200 all aluminum nice cases (coolmaster, lian li) and his time around I went for a $69 apevia. The case is not the same quality as say the coolmaster, but I have 2 GTX570's in SLI and have no real complaints regarding the case. Airflow is good, temps are fine and for the $150 I saved made it totally worth it. The case looks nice, has a nice LCD display on front for temp/fan speed etc. With the price of components today I can't justify paying 10% or more of the total machine cost on the case.
Score
February 15, 2012 4:48:30 PM

My theory on that is... I spend 200 bucks on a case and since it's good quality aluminum construction with little or no plastic it lasts me through 2-3 builds bringing the actual cost down to ~70 bucks per system ;) 

Although i agree to a point... I can't see spending caselabs prices, TJ-11 prices, or little devil... 600+ bucks for a case? I mean... come on... really?
Score
February 15, 2012 5:01:28 PM

Looking at that Azza Fusion 4000 and man, that is a tall son of a bitch. Newegg has it at $260 right now, but with that I'd have pretty much limitless LC options down the road. The Azza site says it can hold a 480mm, 360mm, and a 120mm at the same time. I'm building this system to be upgraded many times over and I think this might be the solution.
Score
February 15, 2012 5:02:35 PM

Best answer selected by EbonicsJesus.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2012 6:58:20 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!