Sign in with
Your question

Dell XPS One Issue - No Boot, No Picture

Last response: in Motherboards
December 20, 2012 7:04:17 PM

Hello,

I received a Dell XPS One A2010 machine that was updated with Windows 7. It worked for about a month but now when I power it on, I immediately hear the fans come to life, the power button on the left side of the monitor goes blue, as does the monitor screen button in the right hand corner on the front ... but I never get a picture. Have to hold the power button down for ten seconds in order to turn off the machine.

Here's what I've done so far:

-Held power button down for 15 seconds, let go. Pulled power from back of machine. Held power button down again for 15 seconds, let go. Opened up machine, removed motherboard battery, held power button down another 15-30 seconds. Waited about 30 minutes, put battery back in ... right side up ... closed up machine restarted.

-This time I actually got a screen to come up with messaging (see below):

[logo image for American Megatrends at top of screen with URL for www.ami.com]

Press F11 if you want to boot from the network
Press F12 for BBS POPUP
Initializing USB Controllers .. Done.
2048MB OK
USB Device(s): 1 Keyboard, 1 Mouse, 1 Hub
Auto-Detecting 3rd Master .. IDE Hard Disk
3rd Master : WDC WD5000AAKS-75A7B0 01.03B01
Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable but Disabled.
Auto-detecting USB Mass Storage Devices ..
00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.

ODD detect failure
CPU fan failure
System fan failure
COMS checksum error
CMOS Date/Time Not Set
Press F1 to Run SETUP
Press F2 to load default values and continue

So, I pressed F1 and ran through the SETUP, resetting the proper date and time. Also noticed the BIOS was 2.0.4, which is an earlier version. Decided not to update the BIOS after reading about others having issues with an updated BIOS on XPS One rigs. Saved my changes and was instructed to hit F10 in order to "Save My Changes and EXIT." Well, after hitting F10 my machine instantly went back to no picture with the fans still running.

Noticing the Fan Failure error messages, I turned off the machine, opened it up, took out and thoroughly cleaned all the fans. Then I took out the video card/heat sink all-in-one part to inspect it. Looked good from my eyes. Replaced everything and turned the machine on. Same thing. No picture, blue lights on again, and fans running.

Questions:

—Can I assume the problem is not the video card/heat sink since I received and saw those messages/instructions on my screen?
—Does it seem from my post that the motherboard is toast?
—Could this be an issue with the previous owner's IT department installing Windows 7 on a previous Windows Vista machine and not acting friendly now?

Any advice/suggestions/things to try/solutions would be most helpful. Trying desperately to get this machine up and running to give to my daughters by Christmas.

Many thanks,
Joe
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 7:16:49 PM

Might have had a fan go bad in there, possibly the CPU fan, do they look like they spin up at all when you start it?

Bah, I suck at reading today, make sure the CPU fan is running, without one of those it probably won't boot.

You could also try resetting the CMOS, something might have borked in the BIOS, it does seem kinda strange that the Optical drive check failed as well as the 2 fan checks, might overall be a MOBO failure.
m
l
!