Sign in with
Your question

Cannot communicate with primary DNS Server

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 16, 2011 9:35:48 PM

Hello,
I have been trying to connect my daughter's toshiba a215-54697 wirelessly to my linksys e3000 router. The computer recognizes the network wirelessly as the correct name and will only have "local access". When it is hardwired to the router it connects just fine, it also will connect to the unsecured (guest)network. I have comcast internet that is connected to an ooma box that is cconnected to the router. My laptop and the playstation find and connect to the internet just fine. The toshiba is running windows vista witha atheros ar5007eg adapter. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have been trying to get this computer connected for a week now!
March 16, 2011 9:54:16 PM

have you tried setting a manual ip address and manual dns server?

March 16, 2011 10:04:19 PM

When you connect wirelessly, do you receive an IP address? Something like 192.168.1.xxx?

Go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:-- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "IP Address, Gateway, and DNS Server" -- usually something like 192.168.1.1 for the gateway. Type exit to close the black form.

Post the IP Address, Gateway, and DNS Server
!