Why are you not supposed to touch the circuit board?

I've heard that you're not supposed to touch the circuit board not only on motherboards but for any part (hard drive, etc.) when handling them, can someone tell me why that is?
6 answers Last reply
More about supposed touch circuit board
  1. Esd for short. Electro static discharge, which can cause opens in the circuitry where you can't even see it. Boards are generally 4-6 layers thick, pressed together during the manufacturing process. Touching boards can release static discharge (like when you sometimes touch metal). Use an esd strap or at least ground yourself on metal before touching the board; lift around the edges whenever possible.
  2. Or the oil/moisture from your fingers could cause a short as well, although less likely.
  3. o1die said:
    Esd for short. Electro static discharge, which can cause opens in the circuitry where you can't even see it. Boards are generally 4-6 layers thick, pressed together during the manufacturing process. Touching boards can release static discharge (like when you sometimes touch metal). Use an esd strap or at least ground yourself on metal before touching the board; lift around the edges whenever possible.

Okay, so if my new hard drive was touched by the anti-static plastic shell it came in (because when handling it, I put pressure on the plastic to the point where it caved in enough to touch circuit board, but no pressure was put on the circuit board itself, it just touched it), I didn't cause any damage to it?
  4. Ohhh a repost, no your probably fine just go test it cripes.
  5. Is there something wrong with the hard drive you are talking about? If it works you probably didn't damage it. If it doesn't work either you damaged it or it was already damaged. You can RMA it either way.
  6. Touching boards is fine if you ground yourself every once in a while, this could simply be having the power supply plugged in, and having one hand touch it every once and a while.

Don't be afraid to touch a circut board, the chance that it will be destroyed is the same as getting a electroshock when you sit down at a metal chair.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Hard Drives