Sign in with
Your question

System overhaul question

Last response: in Systems
November 15, 2011 11:37:40 AM

So I may end up stripping my PC and rebuilding it with a few new components in a new case. Thought this would be the best forum for that, apologies if it's not. I'll start by saying that I bought a new top end cyberpowerpc about a year ago.

Case: SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV01-BW Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CPU: Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7980X

GPU: EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card x2 in SLI

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1333, unsure of make

Heatsink: COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

Power Supply: hermaltake Toughpower W0133RU 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply GeForce GTX 480 Certified

Hard Drive: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Also have a 2nd 1tb 7200 rpm drive. I am going to replace the main drive with a 256 gb crucial m4 ssd in the near future.

Ok so those are the components I currently have in my computer. Problem is, idle temps on my GPUs are at 56 and 62 deg c respectively, and yesterday playing BF3 at 2560x1600 GPU #1 got up to 97 degrees before I decided to shut it down. CPU is idling at 34 deg c, and got up to 80 deg c after 15 minutes of prime 95 at blend setting. Nothing is overclocked.

I think the case is a lot to blame for the high temperatures. There seems to be an extreme lack of airflow (as the air vents from the bottom and the top (the motherboard is on top). I'm not sure if it's worth finding someone to mod the case to add a side fan or 2. The 2 GPUs are right on top of each other (i.e. not in slots 2/6, but 2/4 of my PCI slots). There is no room for them to breath, and there are wires that are keeping me from putting the bottom GPU further apart from the top one. I also believe this is a case issue.

I think watercooling might be a good solution. Main problem is, I know nothing about actually putting together a computer and the whole process intimidates me. But 97 degree graphics cards are unacceptable, and my CPU seems to be quite hot under load even though it's not overclocked. Room is around 23.3 deg c for ambient temperature.

So my questions are: What case would be best? I'm looking for good side fans to help cool the GPUs, as well as room to separate the GPUs so they're not on top of each other. I'm also looking for better cooling for my CPU so I can overclock it a bit and help unbottleneck my GPUs. Also, are any other components worth upgrading? As I said, I'm upgrading my HD to a SSD, and my GPUs and CPU are still great. If watercooling is the best way to go, what is a good watercooling kit?

Also, can anyone recommend what I should do as to putting this together? I'm afraid to do it myself, and I have no idea if there are any sort of local shops (maybe microcenter?) that would assemble this for me. I don't think cyberpowerpc would be of much help in this case even though it's still under warranty.

Any suggestions on where to go to fix this and what I should be fixing would be of great help! Thanks.

Also I'm running on 2 monitors, so that would partially explain my higher GPU idle temps. But they're still too high.

November 15, 2011 12:00:53 PM

If you want the top cooling performance it's hard to go wrong with Silverstone Fortress FT02.
The design works so that it pulls air from the bottom with three 180mm fans and pushes it up through the cpu cooler and video cards.
The motherboard is positioned so that that part that is usually in the back is on the top. And as heat rises is goes up so the video cards can push the hot air out easier.

The design is also available in the Raven 02 and raven 03, but personally I find the FT02 to be the most pleasing to look at with the simplistic looks.

Most likely the 2 monitors do explain the high temps for idle.
!