For those looking at compact cameras!

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
April 23, 2005 8:29:52 PM

I know this has been a topic of much discussion so I thought I would post my
findings to see if they help anyone. Keep in mind I'm a armature/novice at
best. However, I did allot of research over the past several months looking
for the best all around compact camera to be used for vacation, family
shots, etc.

In the end I narrowed it down to the Canon A-95 and Sony DSC-W5. In reality
I probably could have got by with a 3MP camera and if I had went this route
the new Canon A510 would have been my choice. I still think it's the best
bang for the buck. However, in the end I decided I would pay extra for the
extra features and just in case I need it some time in the future I wanted
the extra MP's as well. I'd rather have them if needed than have to get
another camera.

I chose the Sony, but it was a tough choice. I think both are very close in
PQ and a novice like me is likely not able to tell the difference.
Therefore, it boiled down to features and cost for me. The two cameras are
just about the same price. The Canon is a bit cheaper, but add rechargeable
battery's and charger and they're practically the same price. The Canon
felt much better in my hands and is one of the most balanced camera's I
tried, bar none. Just a great feel. I also like that the LCD was covered
when not in use making a carrying case optional and you can rotate it to a
desired angle which allows more flexible camera positioning and helps in the
sun. However, I think as much as I liked this feature I felt the LCD was
just too small and I wasn't that impressed with the quality. The view
finder was in the middle of the camera instead of off to the side like the
Sony which I liked. I have to be careful not to get my fingers in the way
with the Sony, when using the view finder that is. The Canon has allot
going for it, that's for sure and I can see why it's so popular. However,
in the end I picked the Sony because it included rechargeable batteries and
charger, takes only two battery's vice four for the Cannon (with more shots
from the two), is lightening fast, fastest compact I tried, has a huge LCD
that is as good as any I've seen, is smaller and lighter and to me just
seemed to be a quality camera.

Before I chose I read many pros and cons about the various types of camera
memory, but this didn't really effect my buying decision. I got a 256MG
memory stick pro for $45 ($30 after mail in rebate). Also both camera's
come with 32MB of memory, Sony's is built in, edge to Sony for me.

Like I said I'm an armature and this post probably doesn't do much for most
of you, but for those of you who are just the average Jo like me, I hope it
helps. If your on a budget look hard at the Canon A-510, it's a damned fine
camera for the money.

More about : compact cameras

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 9:45:41 PM

"Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message

<snip>

| Like I said I'm an armature and this post probably doesn't do much for most
| of you, but for those of you who are just the average Jo like me, I hope it
| helps. If your on a budget look hard at the Canon A-510, it's a damned fine
| camera for the money.

What is an "armature" as it relates to who or what you are?
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 9:45:42 PM

"Larry Horse" <Lhorse@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
> | Like I said I'm an armature and this post probably doesn't do much for
> most
> | of you, but for those of you who are just the average Jo like me, I hope
> it
> | helps. If your on a budget look hard at the Canon A-510, it's a damned
> fine
> | camera for the money.
> |

> What is an "armature" as it relates to who or what you are?

What is a "nitpicker" as it relates to who or what YOU are?

:)
April 23, 2005 11:26:05 PM

> "Larry Horse" <Lhorse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> | Like I said I'm an armature and this post probably doesn't do much for
>> most
>> | of you, but for those of you who are just the average Jo like me, I
>> hope it
>> | helps. If your on a budget look hard at the Canon A-510, it's a damned
>> fine
>> | camera for the money.
>> |

>> What is an "armature" as it relates to who or what you are?
>
> What is a "nitpicker" as it relates to who or what YOU are?
>
> :)

Maybe he's one of those guys that likes to do 360 degree panoramas while he
is spinning?
April 24, 2005 3:57:21 AM

"jimkramer" <Sophomoric1_jim@NOSPAMjlkramer.net> wrote in message
news:D 4elid$glr@dispatch.concentric.net...

>> "Larry Horse" <Lhorse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> most
>>> hope it
>>> damned fine
>>> |

>>> What is an "armature" as it relates to who or what you are?
>>
>> What is a "nitpicker" as it relates to who or what YOU are?
>>
>> :)
>>
> Maybe he's one of those guys that likes to do 360 degree panoramas while
> he is spinning?
Never mind the "Wind Ups", what was the point of this posting.
He thinks he has just bought the worlds best camera ever.

Does it take sharp, well exposed pictures, under a variety of lighting
conditions? How much noise is produced at the highest sensitivity levels?
How accurate is the viewfinder? ETC, Etc??

I happen to think that the Fuji S5500 is miles better than that Sony, but
since no-one knows anything about my photographic skill or my ability to
make sound judgements -- Who Cares!!

Roy G
!