corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
so i built a new computer, has the 2500k cpu, asus gtx 570 with dcuii, 950 watt psu, asrock extreme 4 gen 3 mobo, corsair vengeance 8gb ddr3 CL9 1600 ram, ocz vertex 3 ssd. ive been saving up some extra money to get a second gpu for SLI. i was just wondering if theres anything thing else i should save up for. like if i should save up for an ivy bridge cpu or better ram. or should i just get another gpu and will two gtx 570's with the i5 be able to handle most games with everything maxed out until the end of 2012? thanks for any help!

striker410

Distinguished
Well, you've got a pretty sweet system.

I'd advise against any GPU upgrades until Q1 2012. That's when the AMD 7000 series is supposedly launching, and those cards sound BEASTLY! I would hold off until then, if only for the price drops.

Really though your system is pretty decked out. It's a nice rig to be sure

striker410

Distinguished

Eh, I'd dispute this. BF3 is a sign of things to come, and you need 2 GTX 570's to come close to maxing it. That said, you should be good for any console ports (I'm looking at you, skyrim) I'd stick with what you got for a bit.

aspleme

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
BF3 is a game changer... but as far as what the graphics look like on Ultra vs High, you aren't getting a $350 improvement... a lot of people won't even really notice the difference unless they are playing on a huge monitor.

I would wait a time before upgrading anything. Most of the games being released are still held back by consoles and the little bit of difference you'd see isn't worth the price of the upgrade. I'd start saving up for next generation tech. Ivy bridge doesn't really look to be worth the upgrade from Sandy bridge unless you are wanting to reduce power (cough laptop cough) or use some of the new features. And even then, you'll need a new MoB. No point unless you are doing video encoding. For games, the 2500K should be fine... especially if you overclock.
I'm not saying anything about next gen graphics cards since there's not too much info at this point.

cerreragt

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011

I think his MOBO is compatible with ivy bridge CPU's but still he doesn't need's any kind of upgrade for now as you said.

corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

so ivy bridge isnt going to use socket 1155? i thought i read that it was going to be.

cerreragt

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
i think you don't need ivy bridge too. Ivy bridge is specially designed for laptops and mobiles and for desktops too but mainly for laptops because it consumes less power and Intel only promises 10 - 15 % extra performance from sandy bridge. just overclock you'r 2500K and get the killer performance