SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB
Antec PREMIER Multimedia Station Deluxe IR receiver and remote
ZALMAN MFC1 Plus-B Black 6 Channel Multi Fan Controller
Logitech Z506 surround sound
3 x COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200mm red led
1 x COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120mm red led
iiyama prolite e2473hds b1

I've been experiencing some problems with the build. Since it's my first one, I am asking for advice from you, the more experienced builder. :hello:

Noise
From the first time I booted up my system, it was pretty loud, way more than I expected. (took haf x for lower noise, took very long to carefully select my components, etc...) I also ordered a Scythe mugen rev 2 B, but they were out of stock in all shops I went.
I expected my system to be near silent when idle and just some graphic card spinning up when playing games.
In reality my pc is noisy all the times. I can hear it running from downstairs (doors open).

After a period of time, I found out the power supply made a lot of noise, more than anything in the build.
I returned it and got a new one. Didn't really install him properly yet, but it still produces some noise (less then first). Is this normal?

Now yesterday, I got a delivery from my shop. Containing the replaced TX850 V2, a fan controller I ordered and the Mugen 2 rev. B.
So today I'm trying to start all over again, stripped the whole system and I want to install everything properly.
But there are some questions rising in the process, so here I am:

- The Mugen 2 rev B's fan is not working with the tall corsair vengeance memory, it's not even possible to put the fan a bit higher so it will fit.
The only option I see here is installing the fan on the other side? (pulling air)
Is this ideal? Any other options?

Next is the fan controller, I took a 6 channel one for my 6 fans (1 front, 2 top, 1 rear, 1 side, CPU)
The fan controller came with 4 normal extension cables to plug in fans (straight forward) and 2 Y-connectors, to plug in a fan and also plug it into the motherboard, for "control via motherboard".
I have no idea what this is.

Also, the CPU fan has these larger 4-pin connector, so how can I hook this up to the fan controller?
After all, is it even necessary to have a CPU fan plugged in to the fan controller? Doesn't the motherboard control it automatically? (I remember, my stock intel cooler was always running on 100% according to Fan Speed.)

What do you guys think is the optimal setup for my fans?
I have:
1 120mm red LED sickleflow
3 200mm red LED megaflow
1 big 240 red LED front intake (case incl.)
2 200mm NO LED (case incl.)
1 140mm NO LED (case incl.)
1 120mm NO LED (on the mugen)

So should I keep the original exhaust 140mm and use the sickle LED for the CPU heatsink or something else? etc.. :)

Display
Next up is something else I'm bothered with.
I bought for about 2100 euros on computer stuff, to get a nice setup to play games on max settings for some years.
Problem is now, I don't quite like the feel of the rig when playing BF3.
I don't know if it's a video card problem or something else. I don't think it's the video card because everything runs at 100fps (max settings), so he can handle it.
I think it is my screen.
The image is very clear when not moving, but when I move around in a FPS, everything seems so blurry, it's annoying. Is there a way to test this?
When browsing, office work, playing some other games, I don't have any problem with the screen.
Is it a BF3 thing?
I don't know if it's just me or if another screen would solve this.

I've been thinking of getting the Dell UltraSharp U2412M and selling my current screen.
I chose the iiyama, because it had better response times etc and I feared the e-IPS from the dell would cause ghosting when gaming.
So I really don't know how to solve this blurry issue and what's causing it, any ideas?

Hope someone can clear this up ^^

Thanks!

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
- The Mugen 2 rev B's fan is not working with the tall corsair vengeance memory, it's not even possible to put the fan a bit higher so it will fit.
The only option I see here is installing the fan on the other side? (pulling air)
Is this ideal? Any other options?

Don't do that.
Option 1) Either return the ram to shop, sell it or just buy new low profile one.
Option 2) Strip their heatspreader away. (I don't really advise it because if you dont know what you are doing you might end up damaging them, and besides, they are beautiful like that, and it is exactly why you bought them, right?)
Option 3) Turn the mugen 90 degrees clockwise having the fan blowing towards your top vent. Make sure you got a fan exhausting there. (Probably the heatsink will hit the memory again.)

Next is the fan controller, I took a 6 channel one for my 6 fans (1 front, 2 top, 1 rear, 1 side, CPU)
The fan controller came with 4 normal extension cables to plug in fans (straight forward) and 2 Y-connectors, to plug in a fan and also plug it into the motherboard, for "control via motherboard".
rtfm http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2577

What do you guys think is the optimal setup for my fans?
I have:
1 120mm red LED sickleflow
3 200mm red LED megaflow
1 big 240 red LED front intake (case incl.)
2 200mm NO LED (case incl.)
1 140mm NO LED (case incl.)
1 120mm NO LED (on the mugen)

It is very simple. Try to maintain more or less the same intake as the exhaust. Because intake is hindered by filters this will create a slight negative vacuum in the case. Make sure you have an empty grill, probably above your gfx cards, that your case can breathe for that negative pressure. You want to control where it will breathe from, otherwise your exhaust fans will get pushed to work at 100% without having any air to circulate. If you create massive positive pressure your temperatures will rise. If your side fans (i am totally against side fans) work too much you will create turbulances in the air flow and again have temperatures rise. All in all, more fans doesn't mean better airflow, especially when you don't know what you are doing.
So what should you do? Generally, intake from front and bottom (don't intake from bays). Exhaust from rear and top (don't exhaust from brackets unless it is a gfx card exhaust). Open grills with possibly a filter on left window. You shouldn't need anything else. If you are curious about what i am telling you is correct or not try the setup i propose in the proportions i propose then add other fans and watch your temperatures rise, or even prove me wrong.

Problem is now, I don't quite like the feel of the rig when playing BF3.
That sounds odd. You got a killer setup there bro.

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
not 180degrees! 90! it should exhaust towards the top of your rig, not to the front of it! Hot air from it should go towards either top or back, in no case towards bottom or front, it is where the cool air comes from. Serious turbulences that way. Think of the air as water going upstream with the aid of propellers. Here, have a read:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cooling-airflow-heatsink,review-32315.html
You won't need to reapply thermal paste as long as you don't spread it around and you don't touch it with anything.