Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Only ethernet port on my mobo just stopped working

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
December 21, 2012 12:49:23 AM

I have an asus m4a79 deluxe. It has one Ethernet port and over night it stopped working.
- the rest of my network works.
-I tested the cable on another computer so the cable isn't defective.
-I uninstalled and reinstalled the realtek gba
- The computer doesn't recognize a cable being plugged in at all.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
December 21, 2012 12:54:30 PM

Same thing happened to my sister's computer after Time Warner moved the computer about 2 feet. Must have been static that fried the ethernet port. I had to install a PCI network card ($10) to fix it.

You'll have to do the same unfortunately. At least it's a cheap repair.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2012 1:07:06 PM

algar32 said:
I have an asus m4a79 deluxe. It has one Ethernet port and over night it stopped working.
- the rest of my network works.
-I tested the cable on another computer so the cable isn't defective.
-I uninstalled and reinstalled the realtek gba
- The computer doesn't recognize a cable being plugged in at all.

Any suggestions? Thanks.


This is very common. A lot of onboard NICs die, most common ones currently are the Realtek8111's and sometimes the Marvel Yukon varieties. There was an entire series of some model of Gigabyte motherboard that was particularly prone to NIC failure. I think this might be part of the reason why a lot of higher priced boards have Intel NICs onboard now.

If nothing works, you can RMA the board if it is still under warranty (it MIGHT be), check with ASUS, they are supposed to give you a 3 month grace period after the 3 years warranty expires.

Otherwise, you'll have to install a network card. If you want Gigabit, you'll have to go with PCI-E, since PCI doesn't provide enough bandwidth to properly support a Gigabit adapter, although you can find PCI based gigabit adapters.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2012 1:12:38 PM

Since it is an ASUS, I have to ask, did you recently flash/update the BIOS ? ASUS BIOS updates sometimes wipes out the MAC address of the NIC, and you have to manually assign one in the OS adapter properties to get it to receive an IP again.
m
0
l
December 21, 2012 3:57:59 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Since it is an ASUS, I have to ask, did you recently flash/update the BIOS ? ASUS BIOS updates sometimes wipes out the MAC address of the NIC, and you have to manually assign one in the OS adapter properties to get it to receive an IP again.


I didn't update the bios, but a couple days ago I did reset defaults, but I doubt that had anything to do with it. Thanks for your response.
m
0
l
December 21, 2012 4:02:52 PM

Maxx_Power said:
This is very common. A lot of onboard NICs die, most common ones currently are the Realtek8111's and sometimes the Marvel Yukon varieties. There was an entire series of some model of Gigabyte motherboard that was particularly prone to NIC failure. I think this might be part of the reason why a lot of higher priced boards have Intel NICs onboard now.

If nothing works, you can RMA the board if it is still under warranty (it MIGHT be), check with ASUS, they are supposed to give you a 3 month grace period after the 3 years warranty expires.

Otherwise, you'll have to install a network card. If you want Gigabit, you'll have to go with PCI-E, since PCI doesn't provide enough bandwidth to properly support a Gigabit adapter, although you can find PCI based gigabit adapters.

I think I built this computer in 2009 so the board might still be under warranty. I think I bought it open box from newegg though. Even if it under warranty I am not sure it it's worth ripping the entire thing out, dealing with customer service and waiting a month to receive a new one (maybe it is?).

If it's only ten bucks I think the easiest solutions is to just install a PCI-E adapter. Thanks for your help.
m
0
l
December 21, 2012 4:03:27 PM

djosbun said:
Same thing happened to my sister's computer after Time Warner moved the computer about 2 feet. Must have been static that fried the ethernet port. I had to install a PCI network card ($10) to fix it.

You'll have to do the same unfortunately. At least it's a cheap repair.

Thanks. I think I'll just pick up a network card.
m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a c 462 V Motherboard
December 21, 2012 4:21:44 PM

i would make sure the adapter not turned off in windows or in the bios.
m
0
l
December 21, 2012 4:23:01 PM

The light on the NIC port still light up yellow when I plug in an etherent. Could this mean that it is not truly broken?

Anyway... here are the cards I am looking at purchasing. I would like to spend as little as possible without losing performance. here are the cards I have selected. The first is pci and the other 2 are not. I don't know how significant of a difference this will make. If you know of a card of better value please suggest it.
pci e from intel... kind of expensive
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Gigabit-Network-Adapter-EXP...
pci
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Gigabit-Adapter-Card-TEG...
Cheapest pci with good review
http://www.amazon.com/Dynex-Desktop-100Mbps-Network-DX-...
Thanks for your help :) 
m
0
l
December 21, 2012 4:24:42 PM

smorizio said:
i would make sure the adapter not turned off in windows or in the bios.

checked this already:
onboard lan enabled
onboard lan boot rom disabled

Thanks though :) 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2012 4:45:51 PM

algar32 said:
checked this already:
onboard lan enabled
onboard lan boot rom disabled

Thanks though :) 


I would go with that Intel PCI-E add on card, check to make sure you have enough room in the computer to add one without impacting the "breathing room" of the GPU(s).

Although I would recommend that you make use of ASUS's RMA service to obtain a new board. There is a VERY SLIGHT chance (although unlikely, I must point out) that the board may be seeing additional issues of which, the dead NIC is the first. A lot of onboard components run off the same voltage rails/regulators, and you can't be absolutely certain of their integrity still.

VERY SMALL CHANCE, but nonetheless.
m
0
l
December 21, 2012 10:21:39 PM

Well... I can't find the box for the serial number and I am sure I built this over 3 years ago (can't believe it has been that long :(  ) . Anyway... are there any cheaper yet equally effective adapters out there? What is the benefit of buying the 30 dollar intel adapter over a 10$ adapter? Does anyone know of any more cost effective options? thanks.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 22, 2012 1:21:11 PM

algar32 said:
Well... I can't find the box for the serial number and I am sure I built this over 3 years ago (can't believe it has been that long :(  ) . Anyway... are there any cheaper yet equally effective adapters out there? What is the benefit of buying the 30 dollar intel adapter over a 10$ adapter? Does anyone know of any more cost effective options? thanks.


People usually say/think that Intel NICs are more reliable and robust. You may or may not notice the differences speed or CPU utilization wise. I would go with that if an extra 20$ isn't an issue for you.

The serial number of your board is also on the board itself on a sticker usually in the PCI/PCI-E expansion slots section, possibly on the slot plastic itself. You really just need a receipt/shipping slip to prove purchase IF ASUS asks for it. IF you bought from a big name retailer like Newegg, you can re-download your receipt.
m
0
l
December 22, 2012 1:30:10 PM

Maxx_Power said:
People usually say/think that Intel NICs are more reliable and robust. You may or may not notice the differences speed or CPU utilization wise. I would go with that if an extra 20$ isn't an issue for you.

The serial number of your board is also on the board itself on a sticker usually in the PCI/PCI-E expansion slots section, possibly on the slot plastic itself. You really just need a receipt/shipping slip to prove purchase IF ASUS asks for it. IF you bought from a big name retailer like Newegg, you can re-download your receipt.

Thanks I checked on board and couldn't find it ( I guess I didn't look hard enough). I am sure it has been over 3 years though. I bought it in august of 2009. I guess I will buy the intel NIC. Thanks for your help :) 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 22, 2012 4:15:05 PM

algar32 said:
Thanks I checked on board and couldn't find it ( I guess I didn't look hard enough). I am sure it has been over 3 years though. I bought it in august of 2009. I guess I will buy the intel NIC. Thanks for your help :) 


No problem! Enjoy the new NIC!
m
0
l
January 26, 2013 10:06:57 PM

I recently diagnosed my ethernet card not being recognized by the router. Thought I'd pass along the result and success after exhaustive and extended internet combing. Apparently the AUTO NEGOTIATION on NVIDIA Nforce ethernet cards does not do well with many routers and results in the card not connecting to the router giving you that annoying yellow asterisk between your computer and router in your Network and Sharing setup..So..Here's my fix..

Control Panel -- Network and Sharing -- Change adapter settings -- Right click on your adapter go down to Properties --
Configure Button-- Goto Advanced tab -- click speed/duplex settings - pick the 10 Mb Full duplex

No restarts were needed to see my connection come back. I have since upped it to 100 Mb full duplex which resulted in on-off connection reliability with router again. I'll be buying another Ethernet Card and never recommend using Nvidia NIC cards to anyone. What a collossal waste of my time! Thanks Nvidia!!
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2013 11:46:36 PM

Godzilla M said:
I recently diagnosed my ethernet card not being recognized by the router. Thought I'd pass along the result and success after exhaustive and extended internet combing. Apparently the AUTO NEGOTIATION on NVIDIA Nforce ethernet cards does not do well with many routers and results in the card not connecting to the router giving you that annoying yellow asterisk between your computer and router in your Network and Sharing setup..So..Here's my fix..

Control Panel -- Network and Sharing -- Change adapter settings -- Right click on your adapter go down to Properties --
Configure Button-- Goto Advanced tab -- click speed/duplex settings - pick the 10 Mb Full duplex

No restarts were needed to see my connection come back. I have since upped it to 100 Mb full duplex which resulted in on-off connection reliability with router again. I'll be buying another Ethernet Card and never recommend using Nvidia NIC cards to anyone. What a collossal waste of my time! Thanks Nvidia!!



Hmm, interesting, I didn't know that about the Nvidia ethernet interfaces...

Double check your cable as well, a lot of Cat5E cables after a few years of use develops oxidation on the supposedly gold-plated connectors (not plated well, or not really gold). Just for the hell of it, try a different cable to see if you can negotiate at 100Mbits (or 1000Mbits).

I know the Realtek 8xxx series sometimes just randomly die. Apparently this was a big deal for a large number of boards of a particular model and type (under gigabyte mostly), so a lot of mobo makers are now touting Intel LANs as a feature.
m
0
l
!