Network Card not showing up....

pumper

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
Went into one of my other computers, and my internet wasn't working. I work for a cable company so I know my modem was ok. Went to network connection, and my LAN, and Local area connection weren't there! I went through the steps of adding a new connection but at the end it said I was successful, but it still didn't show up. I went to the Add Hardware section of control panel and my NIC did not show up.

I am using my onboard NIC. I also looked in the back of the computer to see the ethernet input. My ethernet cable was in there but my ethernet port didn't light up. Would it just crap out like that?. Do I have to go into the bios and see if it is enable. If it is, do I need to put in a new one? I'm @ work right now but I'll be checking the forum every 15 minutes or so.

Mondoman

Splendid
What model number motherboard do you have? It is possible to just have the network chip/circuit fail on a built-in network port. I'd shut off the power, unplug the power cord, and reset the CMOS. Then, check in your BIOS to make sure the builtin network port is enabled. If none of that works, PCI network cards are cheap (maybe $10), so as a workaround you could just buy one and plug it in, then install the correct drivers.