Altonymous

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Hey guys I found this article on this site and I was wondering what the community thinks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/microatx-gaming-overclocked,3039.html

In addition to building out the system itself I'm thinking I'd like to add 2x 30" monitors. So any advice on that would be appreciated as well.

Here's what I'm looking to do with the computer.

#1 - Gaming (Windows 7 x64)
#2 - Hackintosh (Development, Java, Ruby, ObjectiveC)
- I do development for a living and it would be nice to be able to switch over without having to get a second machine. I hate developing on a windows machine. Worst case I can install Debian)
#3 - Make the footprint smaller
#4 - Overclock
#5 - Stay close to the budget of this machine
#6 - Set up an external NAS device for my main storage so the internal storage on the machine isn't as crucial so may 2 SSD drives to I can put Windows on one and Linux/Hackintosh on the other.

I'm really floor space limited right now and I'd like to invest that space in monitors sitting on the computer desk rather than the system.

I dont know much about apple/hackintosh but I believe you need to use hardware that apple have written drivers for . They only do that if they use the hardware themselves .
I would be looking at hackintosh user forums for lists of compatible hardware .

That machine is a massively powerful gamer with an extreme cooling solution .Do you really need the gaming performance? You havent mentioned gaming at all .

If you are not gaming then its possible to build an even smaller mini-ITX rig with a 2600k and Z 68 chipset motherboard

g-unit1111

Titan
That article really makes me want to build a Micro ATX system for my next build. I didn't know it was really possible to get a full fleged system with such a small footprint.

I don't know anything about Hackintosh and I think even Apple advises against it as they won't support any OS-X issues on emulators - you're pretty much on your own there.

Altonymous

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Building a Hackintosh machine isn't emulation, it's just about finding supported hardware. As far as Apple support I wouldn't expect any. I have a MacBook Pro if things don't work, but I'd rather work on a full-fledged machine than the MBP if possible.

Altonymous

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

Gaming was te #1 thing I put on my list.

g-unit1111

Titan

That could be really tricky since the hardware Apple does include is usually two generations behind the PC world (their Mac Pros are just now catching up to the Radeon 5770's... :lol: ). I'd definitely agree to check the Hackintosh forums to find what you're seeking.

Altonymous

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
What about the machine itself Hackintosh aside. Any other recommendations on cases or hardware changes? Do you think it's a good idea to get 2 SSDs one for each OS?

g-unit1111

Titan

Doesn't hurt but your BIOS in your motherboard will only read one boot drive at a time, all motherboards are that way. What you could do is get a case that allows for hot-swapping hard drives or SSDs - Corsair makes a couple but they're really expensive, and Cooler Master makes a couple as well.

g-unit1111

Titan

Not really - if you set the boot order in your BIOS it will always find the drive with the working OS first - it doesn't matter which OS it is. Even software that allows for dual booting - most of them only recognize the operating systems if they're installed on the same drive.

The only way around that would be depending on which OS you want to use, you'd have to set the boot order in the BIOS with the drive you wanted and disable the other one. But even then if you boot into, say, Windows, it still might recognize your other drive. I might be wrong on this but that's usually the way I've always heard it.

Altonymous

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I thought with LILO or GRUB I could install it on one of the drives and have it reference two different volumes even if they are on different drives. Well, I can get an SSD, and use one of my existing SATA's to test the theory before I buy a second SSD. thanks for the heads up!

any other ideas?

g-unit1111

Titan

I'm not sure how that works - I've only been able to get my system to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu - I haven't ventured into any other territory.

But seriously you might want to check out this case - it allows for hot-swapping SSDs and has other good features like rotatable HD cages - http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3038

Altonymous

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
You guys mentioned a Hackintosh forum, but I can't seem to find it on this site? Can I presume you are referring to another site?