Sign in with
Your question

Chip set matching?

Last response: in Systems
November 15, 2011 3:57:38 PM

I am looking to upgrade my pc Motherboard, CPU, Memory and graphics card. I did this a few years back with a XP system and it worked great! Recently I was told that unless the chip set of the motherboards where the same it shouldn't have worked, blue screen, no boot, etc.. they where differant, But it worked. I am looking to do the same again, this time with a Win 7 64 bit system, but I am a little Leary after being told about the chip sets having to match. I can't find a decent Motherboard with the same chip set as the one I am trying to replace (NVIDIA nFORCE MCP61P) any thoughts on this?

Thanks

More about : chip set matching

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2011 5:15:52 AM

Hello popadoc7;

Don't worry about chipset matching it's not an issue around here:

Have you set a budget for this project?
If you fill out the form in *How To Ask For New Build Advice* you'll answer all the standard questions that help things get started.
m
l
November 17, 2011 1:34:37 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: (11/22/11)

Budget Range:$750-$1,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3D modeling and rendering, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU, AMD chipset on graphics card,Best compatible components

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1024x768

Additional Comments: I need the PC to do renderings and run 3D programs with out hanging due to lack of resources. I will be using Win 7 64 bit for my O.S. Thanks for your help,

Popa

m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2011 2:10:24 PM

Do you just want to replace the board in your current PC or do you want a whole new PC?

From your OP, it seemed as though it's the former. If so, what's the exact model of your motherboard and why do you want to replace it?

Also, please state the configuration of your current PC. You may only need an upgrade and not a whole PC, thereby saving a bit of cash.
m
l
November 17, 2011 2:59:45 PM

I would like to build a whole new PC, but use my current hard drive as is. That's where I started with the chipset question in the OP. I have a Compaq CQ520F PC, there’s little to no upgrade that can be done with it due to the weak power supply and motherboard ( CHIPSET NVIDIA nFORCE MCP61P ). I would like to run 16GB or more of ram, this board is limited to 4GB.

PC Configuration:
Power supply-250 WT
AMD Athlon ll x2 240
3GB DDR3 1333 , MAX 4GB
500 GB SATA HD
Integrated Video - NVIDIA Geforce 6150 SE
Windows 7Home Premium 64-bit
m
l
November 17, 2011 3:44:33 PM

Here's my suggestion for an AMD workstation build:

Motherboard: Asus ASUS M5A88-M AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard. It's micro-ATX so it's smaller than normal with less expansion slots. I figured you didn't need many, if any :p 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: Phenom II X6 1090T BE since you said you may want to overclock

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A Black Edition needs a cooler too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Hyper EVO

16 GB RAM as per request: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

An SSD for snappier rendering/stuff: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A quality Scandinavian case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And we're not even at $700 yet; total $669.94.
m
l
November 17, 2011 5:02:51 PM

I have added your suggestions to my Newegg wish list. Now, all I need is a power supply, graphics card ( better for duel monitors’) and OS.

Thanks for your help.
m
l
November 17, 2011 5:07:51 PM

I thought you just said you didn't want a graphics card? Oh wait, I think I misunderstood. You want an AMD graphics card, not a chipset with built in graphics card. That could have been clearer :p  Then I might suggests a different mobo altogether.
m
l
November 17, 2011 6:40:27 PM

How seriously do you model and render? For basic amateur level stuff, you don't need to buy a new processor, RAM, HDD and DVD drive. Get a motherboard with built-in graphics for around 50 odd dollars, and a power supply around 30-40 dollars.

In all probability, you will be able to save the case. If not, getting a new one should cost you between 20-50 dollars.

You need not worry 'bout chipsets. The Athlon 240 needs an AM3 socket motherboard that will take a 65Watt CPU. That's pretty much all.

But if you're into it for real, getting a Thuban with an AM3+ board will go a long way in making your PC more capable.

In that case, cheaper board: $45 GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2 AM3+.

PSU: $35 (After rebate) CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2

Drop the uber-expensive SSD. Use the HDD that you already have.

Drop the after market cooler. You'll never need you till you decide to overclock. Even then, minor OC's don't need an aftermarket HSF. The AMD supplied one will be plenty good.

GPU: You'll have to decide as to whether you wanna go with the affordable gaming cards or uber expensive specialized ones. Will obviously depend on your requirement and budget.

The major sticking point with gaming cards is the amount of polys they can support. If you are going to do some serious high polygon modelling, then i would suggest that you get a Quadro or Firepro.

If on the other had you are going to do only low poly models then a gaming card will suffice.

What kind of modeling are you going to do? How much real-time rendering? What programs?

If you are primarily using Rhino 3d and sketch up then you should visit the Rhino Newsgroup before purchasing a video card.

I don't believe Rhino uses any of the special firmware built into the workstation cards so unless your going to use Maya, Solidworks or 3DS Max in addition to Rhino, most mainstream gaming GPU's should suffice - the extra expense of the Pro cards may be a waste of money. Viewport manipulation should be a breeze with a high end gaming card.

The built-in Rhino scanline renderer is mostly CPU only, but if you add a third party renderer that uses GPU rendering - vray, irender, maxwell render, artlantis - you need to take that into account also when considering your choice.

PSU: Once you decide on the card, deciding the PSU will be easy.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2011 8:23:17 PM

popadoc7 said:
Additional Comments: I need the PC to do renderings and run 3D programs with out hanging due to lack of resources.
Have you checked out the rendering and 3D program forums to see what people are recommending for your specific software? Both for CPU and GPU (graphics cards).

I'm thinking a faster 3.6Ghz quad core (Phenom II X4 975 BE) could turn out to be a better choice than a slower 3.2Ghz X6 1090T BE.
The graphics card choice will depend on whether your software can make use of the graphic cores as mini CPUs to help with renderings.

m
l
!