Booting new HDD and DVD on new built

oldmanep

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hello,
I have built a new system using ASSUS P8Z68-V-Pro. I am puzzeled with the arrangement of the internal SATA ports. I have not been able to have then boot the install disc and keep getting a DOS message to insert bootable disc. I also cannot find the drives designation as to A,B,C or D. Is the problem the order of the SATA plugs? On initial startup the drives are listed.

Solution
I just looked at the photo of your board on new egg and it is labled. Whit print on the dark part of the board just behind the ports.

If holding the board flat so your facing the sata ports.

3g 5 3g 3 6g 1 6g E1
3g 6 3g 4 6g 2 6g E2

THe dark blue ports on the top or right are maker E for external. These ports only work if the e-sata option is set to off.

You sould use the white ports for your 6g HD and the light blue for your DVD.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Sata drives are normally labeled with tiny print, use a flash light. O 1 2 3 and so on. Ultimatily with sata it does not mater what port you use because there is no master or slave, or primary secondary. You can just plug your drives in and go.

In the bios there are often 2 settings that control booting. First you have to select what devices are bootable. DVD and Hard disk.
Second you have to define the boot order. First will Be DVD second will be HD. Disable everything else.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Another thought, is your media a store bough DVD or a copy, or disc made from ISO? In my experience most Bootable install DVDs that are made from ISOs have the boot sector messed up and will simply not be bootable.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I just looked at the photo of your board on new egg and it is labled. Whit print on the dark part of the board just behind the ports.

If holding the board flat so your facing the sata ports.

3g 5 3g 3 6g 1 6g E1
3g 6 3g 4 6g 2 6g E2

THe dark blue ports on the top or right are maker E for external. These ports only work if the e-sata option is set to off.

You sould use the white ports for your 6g HD and the light blue for your DVD.

Solution