Terry99

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I Upgraded to a new motherboard that only has 4 (daul channel) memory slots. The board that it replaced had 6 (triple channel). I had 24gig of ram installed on the prior 6x4. My question is can I use only four of the6 sticks on my new board ? Is it able to be broken up like that? New board does support the ram speed that I have

Solution
Yup. Just pop the ram sticks in and you should be good to go - they'll run in dual channel provided that they're identical sticks (4x4gb, dual channel).

Kit RAM is no different to normal RAM - it's just two sticks of single sticks. Say you bought a 4gb kit (2x2gb). Essentially; you're buying two 2gb sticks which can be used individually, or in dual/triple channel depending on your available motherboard slots and the amount of ram you bought.

professorturtle

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Yup. Just pop the ram sticks in and you should be good to go - they'll run in dual channel provided that they're identical sticks (4x4gb, dual channel).

Kit RAM is no different to normal RAM - it's just two sticks of single sticks. Say you bought a 4gb kit (2x2gb). Essentially; you're buying two 2gb sticks which can be used individually, or in dual/triple channel depending on your available motherboard slots and the amount of ram you bought.

Solution

Terry99

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

Thank you