Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should i reformat hard drive for new Gigabyte motherboard?

Last response: in Systems
November 15, 2011 6:30:05 PM

i have a new gigabyte MoBo and i have no driver cd but did manage downloading required drivers from their website. the drive im plannin on usin is a 200 gig IDE HDD. nothing important on this drive really. should i put the HDD in question as a slave and reformat it with my present computer then put that wiped drive on the new mother board and then install winxp Pro?
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2011 6:31:50 PM

What model are you using? Most motherboards won't support IDE hard drives if they're made after 2008 - 2009. You'll most likely need a new drive altogether or you'll have to buy an IDE controller card (don't know if those are still made).

And you might want to get a Win 7 license as Microsoft isn't going to be supporting XP much longer. And in any event, absolutely you want to reformat your HD with new hardware - it will clear up any driver conflicts between the new hardware and the old.
m
l
November 15, 2011 6:39:27 PM

MoBo model GA-880GM-D2H (rev. 1.x). for now i have to make do with the os i have and this new pc wont ever be connected to the net.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2011 6:49:42 PM

alfg4 said:
MoBo model GA-880GM-D2H (rev. 1.x). for now i have to make do with the os i have and this new pc wont ever be connected to the net.

It looks like it does have an IDE connector (shows you what i know... :lol:  ) so just set your jumpers to primary and yes you will need to format your HD for new OS install - you always want to do that every time you get a new motherboard, CPU, etc.
November 15, 2011 6:51:55 PM

sweetness thank ya much g-unit!
m
l
November 22, 2011 6:10:04 PM

Best answer selected by alfg4.
m
l
!