Fan controller help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hi! I'm currently using a cooler master HAF 912 case with all the stock fans + two cooler master 120mm blue LED fans to cool my graphics cards. the after market 120mm fans are extremely loud and run at full speed 24/7 and I'm wondering what fan controller I should get (or a different way to solve them going full speed) for these fans. I'm also not sure if there is something wrong with the ones I got seeing as most other reviews say they are quiet but mine are screamers. Thanks in advance!

Solution
sounds like a vibration issue. You need something like a rubber gasket between the fan and case maybe. Something like this (but to your size and in stock):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835165003

I have heard that you can also use a very large rubber band, cut into a small piece with a hole in it.

Put your mounting screws into the fan, then into the hole in the rubber band pieces, then mount your fan to your case. It should give you a home made gasket to reduce vibration.

Does the sound change when the fans are flat vs upright?

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I have heard people say to 'squish' the fan in the middle to reduce noise. I guess it has something to do with the fluid in there.

Not sure it will help, but try pressing the fan in the middle towards the mount.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

I don't really get it... like push down on the middle of the fan when I'm installing it?

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
the weird part though is that when I take the fan out of my case and just leave it dangling out and run it, its completely silent. The noise starts when I actually install one into my case.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
sounds like a vibration issue. You need something like a rubber gasket between the fan and case maybe. Something like this (but to your size and in stock):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835165003

I have heard that you can also use a very large rubber band, cut into a small piece with a hole in it.

Put your mounting screws into the fan, then into the hole in the rubber band pieces, then mount your fan to your case. It should give you a home made gasket to reduce vibration.

Does the sound change when the fans are flat vs upright?

Solution

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Yeah it does. When it is attached to the side of my case and its upright, it makes noise. When its flat, its silent :/ what would fix this?

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Ok thanks :D i think I'm gonna go with the rubber band idea because its free and the anti-vibration pads seem to bee hard to find after trolling the internet looking for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.