32GB Corsair RAM problems :(

johnymst

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Hello all members,

After a long troubleshooting on google I decided to join this forum as most answers I got was from Tom's Hardware.
Really helpful and got me somewhere however my problem is still not resolved and I believe that I need your assistance here.

Some background:
I have purchased a new GPU and RAM this week.
GPU: EVGA GeForce 660TI 2GB
RAM: Corsair 32GB (4 x 8GB) XMS 1600MHz DDR3

After installing the new components I was unfortunate to find that I have several problems with the stability of Windows:
- it took about 6 minutes to boot up (stuck for 6 mins on the windows logo)
- once booted a bit laggy in the desktop interface and installing was taking a long time too

I took one piece of RAM out (8GB) and it worked perfect with 24GB installed. I plugged the 8GB back again and it was lagging again.
I played around with the MHz and Voltage however that did not bring me any positive results.
I also updated my BIOS to the newest version available.

I decided to freshly install Windows and did so. Now with new OS the booting is better (takes 1min 15 sec) however it is still lagging once booted.

My Hardware specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
Hard Drive: Western Digital 2TB 7200

Voltage on my RAM states 1.5v - BIOS voltage is set to 1.5v.
X.M.P is on Profile1.
Tried changing Memory Frequency manually to 1600Mhz - no luck.
Memory sticks and slots are good - tried to take each stick out and changed them around - worked perfectly every time so this is definitely the issue only when 4 sticks are connected and the memory is at full at 32GB.

Can you please help me with this issue? Any suggestion will do as I have nothing else in my mind to do with it.

Thank you,
Jonathan

johnymst

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Hello all members,

After a long troubleshooting on google I decided to join this forum as most answers I got was from Tom's Hardware.
Really helpful and got me somewhere however my problem is still not resolved and I believe that I need your assistance here.

Some background:
I have purchased a new GPU and RAM this week.

After installing the new components I was unfortunate to find that I have several problems with the stability of Windows:
- it took about 6 minutes to boot up (stuck for 6 mins on the windows logo)
- once booted a bit laggy in the desktop interface and installing was taking a long time too

I took one piece of RAM out (8GB) and it worked perfect with 24GB installed. I plugged the 8GB back again and it was lagging again.
I played around with the MHz and Voltage however that did not bring me any positive results.
I also updated my BIOS to the newest version available.

I decided to freshly install Windows and did so. Now with new OS the booting is better (takes 1min 15 sec) however it is still lagging once booted.

My Hardware specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
Hard Drive: Western Digital 2TB 7200

Voltage on my RAM states 1.5v - BIOS voltage is set to 1.5v.
X.M.P is on Profile1.
Tried changing Memory Frequency manually to 1600Mhz - no luck.
Memory sticks and slots are good - tried to take each stick out and changed them around - worked perfectly every time so this is definitely the issue only when 4 sticks are connected and the memory is at full at 32GB.

Can you please help me with this issue? Any suggestion will do as I have nothing else in my mind to do with it.

Thank you,
Jonathan

johnymst

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
When booted into windows it displays full amount of the memory that I have installed. I will try to reset the memory as you suggested. Do you have any tips or tutorials on how to do this? Never done this before.
Thank you for your response :)

Just hit the start button, enter "msconfig", start the program, goto the start tub and click on extended start. If the max ram option is selected, unselect it. You may also try to clear the cmos or at least reset the system configuration in the bios. The mobo manual helps you with that.

I have just upgraded my RAM Existing ram to 16GB, I already had a set of 8GB Corsair Vengence and bought 8GB more later on, Both sets are the same, only difference is the color of the head spreaders, Both 1600mhz, both rated at 1.5v and both had same timings.

So here what I had to do to get my system stable with the other set of ram, I did OC my CPU, CPU-NB, Lil bit of HTT and RAM. RAM Was at 1792mhz, and the CPU was at 4125mhz with the CPU-NB at 2912mhz. That was fine with the old set of ram, After I added the new set the OC wasn't even able to be booted without a BSOD. Ok so I added more volts to the ram, Nothing worked. So I set my CPU Back to 3.3ghz and ram to 1600mhz, it booted in windows. I ram Prime95 and it errored on a few cores with in the 1st min or testing. I rase the volts on the Chipset and the CPU-NB (Even tho it was back to 2000mhz along with the HTT) and I added more volts to the Ram, nothing was stable, was actully worse with more volts, at 1.65v all 6 cores failed in the 1st 2 min of prime. at 1.7v it booted to log in screen then BSOD, 1.8v BSOD after windows logo. At 1.5v only a few cores would fail after a few min of prime.

So heres the kicker, I undervolted the Ram and kept it at 1600mhz (was my last straw and was about to issue an RMA to Corsair) I lowered the voltage on the RAM to 1.4v and its prime stable for 9 or so hours, When I got up I set the CPU back to 4.1ghz and the CPU-NB i just went and set it to 3000mhz and HTT to 2400mhz and stress tested as I went to work, when I got home after my 8 hour shift, the system was still running prime95, So for me lowing the RAM voltage made things stable for me. I have no clue why, and never encountered something like this, but i'm not going to RMA if it runs stable at a lower voltage.

My Board is the ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Pro with the x6 1100T, Bios has been updated to the most recent.

johnymst

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Thank you for all the efforts.

noidea_77, I will do that today after work and see if it works. If not, I will try lowering voltage like Viking2121 suggested.

I will get back with the answer and possible solution :)

G

i had problems with a slow boot on my gigabyte board too, i ended up formatting my hard drive and switching to single drive raid. eventually i just got fed up with slow boot times and got an ssd

why do you need 32gb of ram? try putting the ram sticks in different positions

johnymst

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Thanks for response.

I got the 32GB just to stay ahead for couple of years so I won't need to upgrade again and again.

What do you mean "try putting the ram sticks in different positions " ?
Like, switch them around in different slots? I tried that and no luck :(

G

32gb is overkill to the extreme, the most you will every probably use is 6 if you are a hardcore gamer, about 10gb if you do extreme video editing, if you can do anything that takes up more than 8gb of ram i would be very surprised.

so it always works if you take one ram stick out no matter which one or which dimm slot?

jemm

Distinguished
The problem might be the CPU (which the OP has never mentioned) memory controller, which is not able to handle the extra load generated by 23GB ram at 1600MHz.

As you could easily confirm, it worked with 24GB -- in case the system is stable with 24GB at 1600MHz, you can consider yourself a luck one! Tough I´d would run Memtest86+ to confirm if it is really stable http://www.memtest.org/

Unfortunately if you want to run it with 32GB, then you may need to down-clock the ram frequency.

X.M.P profile overclocks the memory to perform beyond standard specifications -- set it to manual, and set the frequency to 1333MHz -- I know your Kit is natively 1600MHz, but it is frustrating that you won´t be able to run 32GB at the advertised speed, eh?

Now, why do you need 32GB? Are yourself into heavily professional editing/rendering?

Anyway, if you can manage to make it work with 32GB at 1333MHz, as I have recommended you, then if you ask me what is better between running it with 24GB at 1600Mhz (assuming you get stability) , or 32Gb at 1333MHz, I would say that it is better 24GB at 1600Mhz, even tough you won´t be able to notice any difference in real world usage -- perhaps a difference can be noticed in benchmarks.

Scott F

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Honestly I think I would just use the 24GB working configuration.
I would be surprised if you have any performance difference at all between 24 and 32GB.

johnymst

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Thanks jemm,

I am aware of the usage of 32GB and I know that it is a little bit crazy.

Mainly I did it to stop upgrading the computer every year or two (with 32 I won't need to do it for at least 5 years, well except the hard drive).

I will try changing frequency to 1333mhz however I think that I have already done that.
Anyway, If I go with 24gb won't that kill the dual channel and won't I get a worse performance with only 3 RAM sticks plugged in ?

johnymst

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
I am not a hardcore gamer and I am not an editor or anything. Just got the 32 for reason above.

It always works with 3 in no matter what way I plug them in. the minute I attach 4th slot the problem begins.

Scott F, That is what I am starting to think about, If I won't get this working today I will just leave it with 24gb and sell the 1 slot.

Thanks for help guys

johnymst

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Hi guys,
noidea_77: your thing didn't work, it was unchecked.
Viking2121: I changed voltage to 1.4 and xmp is enabled. no luck with that either. I am not able to change the memory frequency at all :| any clues?

jemm

Distinguished
When you set the memory to XMP, all settings go automatically -- you do not need to change anything, and you should not do so!

On the other hand, if you are to change things, then set it to Manual in the Bios, assuming you know what you are doing.

johnymst

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Well I wasn't sure if the 16.00 multiplier is actually memory frequency. It is set to 1600. I'm kind of giving up now and probably staying with the 24GB.

Can you just answer the last question I will probably have:
If I have 4 slots on my mobo and only 3 sticks in, I will have the 2 sticks on dual channel and 1 on single right ? How much does that affect my memory? Would I be loosing a lot of it and better of to go with the dual channel 16gb ?

Thanks

jemm

Distinguished
Nope! It doesn´t work like that.

Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled only if just one stick is installed.

Your motherboard has 4 slots (sockets), which are divided into two channels (Dual Channel Technology), with 2 slots each.

If are to place 2 sticks, then you can not place them in only one channel -- you have to place one stick in one channel, and the other stick in the other channel in order to enable Dual Channel. The same goes when you are placing 3 sticks -- it will be set automatically to Dual Channel -- but you have to place them into correct slots, in both cases, mean 2 or 3 sticks.

Your motherboard has 2 channels A and B. The channel A is near your CPU, and the channel B is far from the CPU.

On channel A, the slot near the CPU is 4, and the other 2.

On channel B, the slot near the CPU is 3, and the other 1.

The slot nearest the CPU is 4, then 2, then 3, then 1.

If you want to place just 2 sticks, then place them on slots 2 (channel A) and 1 (channel B), for optimum performance.

If you want to place just 3 sticks, then place them on slots 4 (channel A), slots 2 (channel A) and 1 (channel B).

For you reference see your motherboard manual > 1-4-1 Dual Channel Memory Configuration http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z68ap-d3_e.pdf

Othman Afaneh

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

Othman Afaneh

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
dude ,
from my big Experience Gigabyte really Sucks...
if you can swap your mother board with Asus your performance will double ,

also it cant handle 32 Gb , as always its stuck u must put lower <30
+
update your bios
dont f*** with the voltages

Et-

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
What CPU do you have, what is the actual model number of the DRAM? Do you have the latest BIOS and lastly what is the tRFC set at....with your mobo, you are prob going to have to adjust voltages to run 32GB and they did very little with the advanced timings for big sets of DRAM so those may well be off