Sign in with
Your question

Getting 6 cores to work like 3 cores?...

Last response: in CPUs
February 16, 2012 12:57:14 AM

this is my system spec

AMD FX-6100
Asus M5A87
4Gb RAM Patriot
PC HD 6790
CM 650w PSU

Im currently unhappy with the performance in games like WoW and HoN, and i think the processor its the one holding my system back. Like for example, anything related to shadows really taxes my performance, and shadows are very cpu intensive.

What I would like to do is to be able to use FRAPS and run the games at 60fps at the same time during busy fights, like a 5v5 HoN fight. I currently get from 23 to 39 FPS in this situation.

So anyways, what i wanted to know is; Ive seen my processor in CPU-Z says 6 cores 6 threads but when i see the AMD Overdrive utility I notice that the cores are pretty much set in pairs, like when I go up the multiplier, 2 cores go up at the same time.

So I was wondering, If there is a way to make the 6 cores to work like 3 stronger cores or 3 threads which I assume would help in gaming performance.

Another thing Ive heard, that saving fraps files in a completly different HHDD helps with the performance trouble, is this true? can this give me the boost I need ? Thinking better about it I would just settle for 30-35 fps in big fights as long as its playable.

And for those who will just say spend again and buy this and that, what should i change upgrade?

Thx for your time

More about : cores work cores

a c 93 à CPUs
February 16, 2012 2:24:55 AM

The cores are paired like that because of the way the FX CPUs are designed. 2 cores are placed in a module, where they share some execution resources. This design makes some sense in heavily threaded applications, but doesn't help in gaming. The FX CPUs are very poor performers in games, its predecessor, the Phenom II is actually a better performer in a gaming scenario. If the CPU is holding you back, the only thing you can do aside from changing it out for a better one is to try and overclock it. Higher clockspeeds will help offset the FX 6100's poor single threaded performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 7:13:45 AM

With the FX-6100 you have 3 main cores and 3 pseudo-cores. Due to architecture issues with the cache/scheduler you are better off assigning priority to CPUs 1 3 5, rather than the companion cores 2,4,6.

Edit the config.wtf and add:

SET processAffinityMask "20"

or

SET processAffinityMask "21"

The "20" would probably work better if you're going to Fraps, as it leaves 1+2 open for the OS and other apps. The full chart is here if you want to try other combinations.

http://www.wowwiki.com/CVar_processAffinityMask

PS: Upgrade the GPU to Radeon 7850/7870 when they launch in March.
m
l
Related resources
a c 185 à CPUs
February 16, 2012 7:19:27 AM

Overclock. Or do what you have to do on the 8150, turn off 3 cores.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 7:20:43 AM

you recording with fraps? because if you don't have an ssd you won't really be able to run things while recording.

Im not sure how demanding HoN is but your cpu should be able to handle it.

only way to do what you are suggesting is to turn the cores off in the bios and OC the cpu.
m
l
February 16, 2012 12:07:38 PM

esrever said:
you recording with fraps? because if you don't have an ssd you won't really be able to run things while recording.

Im not sure how demanding HoN is but your cpu should be able to handle it.

SSD its too expensive here, what about another normal HHDD? will that help ? And is an SSD gonna really improve my FPS while recording by a large margin ?

HoN runs at 125 fps in UI, runs at 60-80 fps during low demanding gameplay, and runs at 30-40 fps during busy fights. in max settings, no shadows, no fraps.

esrever said:
only way to do what you are suggesting is to turn the cores off in the bios and OC the cpu.

I cant overclock I tried but PC would start and i dont wanna chance anything and burn my PC Y_Y. But turning off the cores 2, 4 and 6... would it really improve the performance of 1, 2 and 3 ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 12:25:16 PM

Eh, i don't believe any of this gibberish, i think your Graphics card is too low for that CPU. I can handle a 2 way SLI with my FX 6100, and i don't have a Single Bottlebeck, Obviously your GPU isnt enough. Upgrade your graphics card. if your not a NVIDIA person get the next 7850/7870, or the 7770 is looking promising.:) . Now if i were you id get the Kepler series cards when they come out. for now use Vsync or what ever you call it. thatl set the frames at your refresh rate. But i highly believe its your GPU holding your CPU back
m
l
February 16, 2012 1:29:33 PM

Rockdpm said:
Eh, i don't believe any of this gibberish, i think your Graphics card is too low for that CPU. I can handle a 2 way SLI with my FX 6100, and i don't have a Single Bottlebeck, Obviously your GPU isnt enough. Upgrade your graphics card. if your not a NVIDIA person get the next 7850/7870, or the 7770 is looking promising.:) . Now if i were you id get the Kepler series cards when they come out. for now use Vsync or what ever you call it. thatl set the frames at your refresh rate. But i highly believe its your GPU holding your CPU back

No offense but u really do sound like a fanboy. And no, I didnt come here b4 running somwhat of tests. Any game, any setting related to graphics (anisotropic filtering, textures, etc) changing them on/off does not affect my FPS a single bit, but when i use shadows and physics and other settings that involve CPU, FPS take a major deficit, at least 15-20 fps, and down from 60 is a lot. Also, my GPU never reaches more that 60% load while my CPU has always 1 core at 100% load and the rest floating between 20% and 40% in any games.

So no its not the GPU, i mean i know its not the best card, but i dont see how its holding me down.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
February 16, 2012 1:31:07 PM

mmorpg are very stressing on your cpu. Learn to oc fx.
m
l
February 16, 2012 1:36:26 PM

amuffin said:
Learn to oc fx.

Thanks for the info, please link me where you learned how to oc fx
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 16, 2012 1:45:24 PM

MadJackxD said:
this is my system spec

AMD FX-6100
Asus M5A87
4Gb RAM Patriot
PC HD 6790
CM 650w PSU

Im currently unhappy with the performance in games like WoW and HoN, and i think the processor its the one holding my system back. Like for example, anything related to shadows really taxes my performance, and shadows are very cpu intensive.

I thought shadows were very GPU intensive, and your GPU is not great,
m
l
February 16, 2012 2:07:10 PM

13thmonkey said:
I thought shadows were very GPU intensive, and your GPU is not great,

Really? then i miss read, i swear i saw in SC2 options that shadows was cpu intensive, hmmm...

EDIT: I found this, so maybe its you the one who missread

CPU Intensive Tasks:
Physics
Sound
Animation & Animation Interpolation
Particles
Decals
Polygons
Dynamic Lighting/Shadows
Water reflection

GPU intensive Tasks:
Textures & Bumpmaps
AA & AF
HDR & Bloom
Resolution
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 16, 2012 2:27:15 PM

MadJackxD said:
Really? then i miss read, i swear i saw in SC2 options that shadows was cpu intensive, hmmm...

EDIT: I found this, so maybe its you the one who missread

CPU Intensive Tasks:
Physics
Sound
Animation & Animation Interpolation
Particles
Decals
Polygons
Dynamic Lighting/Shadows
Water reflection

GPU intensive Tasks:
Textures & Bumpmaps
AA & AF
HDR & Bloom
Resolution

Where did you find that from? Hardware T&L (Transform and lighting) was the first 3d acceleration outside of Voodoo's efforts. Lighting creates shadows.

If you got it from here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php... then its a poll almost, and the very first sentence of 'this is definately not accurate' might give you a clue.

Turn shadows down and see what happens?

And on forums its really easy to misinterpret what people are saying and comments like 'perhaps it is you who are misreading' are just inflamatory.

GPU shadow evidence
http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/forum/topic/28416 - coders talking they think GPU
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_volume - note the optimsiation section, its hardware now meaning its GPU
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1... - just people talking, but they think GPU
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/877663-WoW-Shadow-m... - someone testing GPU usage at various shadow levels - GPU

I'll stop there.
m
l
February 16, 2012 3:28:30 PM

13thmonkey said:
Where did you find that from? Hardware T&L (Transform and lighting) was the first 3d acceleration outside of Voodoo's efforts. Lighting creates shadows.

If you got it from here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php... then its a poll almost, and the very first sentence of 'this is definately not accurate' might give you a clue.

Turn shadows down and see what happens?

And on forums its really easy to misinterpret what people are saying and comments like 'perhaps it is you who are misreading' are just inflamatory.

GPU shadow evidence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_volume - note the optimsiation section, its hardware now meaning its GPU
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1... - just people talking, but they think GPU
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/877663-WoW-Shadow-m... - someone testing GPU usage at various shadow levels - GPU

I'll stop there.

Thanks for your help, but this just rather confuses me even more.

If shadows are GPU intensive, why is it that when i change it from low to ultra, my processor load goes from 20%-30% load to 100% (only 2 of the cores) but my GPU is unmoved at the same load it was. From what i see and understand from this, its telling me that shadows are taxing my CPU and barely my GPU changes.

PS.- i tried the ("SET processAffinityMask "20") i was recommended. Now 2 cores are working at 50%-80% while wow is running instead of one, but theres still no improve. Now ive tested it like this and got this results
Everything on ultra, shadows ultra: 25-40FPS, Cores 3 and 5 load: 70%ish, GPU max load: 57%
Everything on ultra, shadows low: 55-80FPS, Cores 3 and 5 load: 50%ish, GPU max load: 33%
To make note this is what i used to get before
Everything on ultra, shadows ultra: 25-40FPS, Core 1: 100%, GPU max load: 57%
Everything on ultra, shadows low: 55-80FPS, Core 1 40%: 50%ish, GPU max load: 60%

So i guess you might be right, it uses the GPU too, but other than shadows, turning top or off any other GPU related graphic settings does not improve or drops fps. Also when I play SC2 i notice settings like physics, that SC2 tells me that is CPU intensive, the game takes a drop in fps while in big battles when its on, every cpu intensive setting drops fps, but the other that are gpu intensive, i get no drop whatsoever.

I guess what i can get out of all of this is that my gpu is great for everything except shadows?
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 16, 2012 4:04:36 PM

have you used the MS update that schedules an FX properly.
m
l
February 16, 2012 4:15:48 PM

13thmonkey said:
have you used the MS update that schedules an FX properly.

yes, both files, didnt had any noticeable boost.

cores can only be disabled in pairs, like 1-2 3-4 and 5-6, cant disable just one so i guess I just cant get the sup 3 stronger cores i was dreaming of, hehe.

My friend just told me he has a 6870, im gonna bring it over and im gonna see how it performs. That would be the ultimate test to my PC, if theres improve then my gpu sucks. if no improve its cpu.
m
l
February 16, 2012 4:20:33 PM

13thmonkey said:

GPU shadow evidence

I'll stop there.

Remember that different game engines might do things differently. For example when I tested a free driving game called BMW M3 Challenge I found out that setting maximum shadows was more taxing for the CPU. Things got choppy. So I did a little test and overclocked my CPU mildly (stock cooler) and the game became fluid again.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 16, 2012 4:32:06 PM

Understand completely that some games do it differently. Took being told I misread things badly, but even his own evidence:
Everything on ultra, shadows ultra: 25-40FPS, Cores 3 and 5 load: 70%ish, GPU max load: 57%
Everything on ultra, shadows low: 55-80FPS, Cores 3 and 5 load: 50%ish, GPU max load: 33%
Everything on ultra, shadows low: 55-80FPS, Core 1 40%: 50%ish, GPU max load: 60%

Sees gpu load scaling with shadows...
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 5:02:45 PM

MadJackxD said:
No offense but u really do sound like a fanboy. And no, I didnt come here b4 running somwhat of tests. Any game, any setting related to graphics (anisotropic filtering, textures, etc) changing them on/off does not affect my FPS a single bit, but when i use shadows and physics and other settings that involve CPU, FPS take a major deficit, at least 15-20 fps, and down from 60 is a lot. Also, my GPU never reaches more that 60% load while my CPU has always 1 core at 100% load and the rest floating between 20% and 40% in any games.

So no its not the GPU, i mean i know its not the best card, but i dont see how its holding me down.

I hate to remind you dude, but your here for help, not to be a butt head and non cooperative. If i like NVIDIA, i like NVIDIA. If you like AMD you like AMD, obviously i don't have anything against AMD otherwise i wouldn't be running they're CPU's and Mobo chipsets.......and for the record i have used ATI/AMD graphics before. So shut up, take our advice or go somewhere else. were not here for trash talking.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 16, 2012 5:13:22 PM

Rockdpm said:
I hate to remind you dude, but your here for help, not to be a butt head and non cooperative. If i like NVIDIA, i like NVIDIA. If you like AMD you like AMD, obviously i don't have anything against AMD otherwise i wouldn't be running they're CPU's and Mobo chipsets.......and for the record i have used ATI/AMD graphics before. So shut up, take our advice or go somewhere else. were not here for trash talking.

I saw his response to your first post, and could not understand why he was saying that as your point was not fanboyish at all. He came across as a bit of an unmentionable (i've been asked not to use even hidden expletives), and then later on he carried on that impression.

m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 5:20:01 PM

MadJackxD said:
Thanks for your help, but this just rather confuses me even more.

If shadows are GPU intensive, why is it that when i change it from low to ultra, my processor load goes from 20%-30% load to 100% (only 2 of the cores) but my GPU is unmoved at the same load it was. From what i see and understand from this, its telling me that shadows are taxing my CPU and barely my GPU changes.

PS.- i tried the ("SET processAffinityMask "20") i was recommended. Now 2 cores are working at 50%-80% while wow is running instead of one, but theres still no improve. Now ive tested it like this and got this results

So i guess you might be right, it uses the GPU too, but other than shadows, turning top or off any other GPU related graphic settings does not improve or drops fps. Also when I play SC2 i notice settings like physics, that SC2 tells me that is CPU intensive, the game takes a drop in fps while in big battles when its on, every cpu intensive setting drops fps, but the other that are gpu intensive, i get no drop whatsoever.

I guess what i can get out of all of this is that my gpu is great for everything except shadows?

Its because intel owns the Havok physics engine for SC2, where do you think they put it? Its in their best interest to disable it on amd cpus (sorry, optomize it for Intel).

Ever wonder why AMD said they are longer competing with Intel?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 5:54:48 PM

shadows are generally cpu cause the cpu draws the lighting and the the gpu puts in the shadows. Different engines are different tho.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 6:25:02 PM

13thmonkey said:
I saw his response to your first post, and could not understand why he was saying that as your point was not fanboyish at all. He came across as a bit of an unmentionable (i've been asked not to use even hidden expletives), and then later on he carried on that impression.

Thank you, good to know someone agrees with me
m
l
February 16, 2012 7:48:20 PM

Rockdpm said:
Thank you, good to know someone agrees with me

Whatever, but I said no offense, meaning that im not trying to offend you. Second, read what you wrote and the way you wrote it, completly disregarding anything i said in my op and saying something like "well, i have an FX6100 so it cant be it, so your card its the faulty here".

Re-read what you wrote and tell me if you see that from someone else you wouldnt think they are biased aka fanboyism ?

Thanks for the "help" but u didnt even respond to the op, so...
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 1:39:07 AM

MadJackxD said:
Whatever, but I said no offense, meaning that im not trying to offend you. Second, read what you wrote and the way you wrote it, completly disregarding anything i said in my op and saying something like "well, i have an FX6100 so it cant be it, so your card its the faulty here".

Re-read what you wrote and tell me if you see that from someone else you wouldnt think they are biased aka fanboyism ?

Thanks for the "help" but u didnt even respond to the op, so...

Well I really don't see how its fanboyish, so i said its your graphics card. A Graphics card can be faulty from AMD and NVIDIA, so um no fanboyish background there......
m
l
!