Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell Dimension 3000 Upgrade

Last response: in Systems
November 15, 2011 9:43:29 PM

Hi this is my first time posting on these forums. I had read a couple other topics but non of them were specific enough for my build. I got this PC awhile back and It has been running just fine. But now it's just not meeting my daily demands. I was wondering if i got a new case, motherboard, and processor would I be able to just transfer all my other parts to the new case. If not could you recommend a cheap build with about an average experience index in windows 7.

If anyone wants to help my computer specs can be browsed here
November 15, 2011 10:03:46 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Here are the specs on your computer: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/e...

I do not advise you to transfer any components from this computer on to a new build.

If you want to improve the performance of the existing computer, you may add RAM (DDR) to bring the total RAM to 2 GB which is what the system will support.

For a new build, list out your requirements and your budget in the 'New Builds' section.
m
l
November 15, 2011 10:32:19 PM

Ok i'll get right on that thank you very much. :) 
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2011 10:35:20 PM

If gaming is your thing I would suggest upgrading the Video Card but i highly doubt your power supply can handle even a decent upgrade. RAM is a great idea and will provide a noticable performance upgrade most likely.
m
l
November 15, 2011 10:43:57 PM

My oldest desktop is a Dell Dimension 4600, and I improved the performance by upgrading RAM. I also changed the hard disk from 40 GB to 250 GB which was the max the motherboard would support. The hard disk on this is IDE.
m
l
November 16, 2011 9:29:47 AM

Transferring is not ideal. You'll want a new PSU, and RAM will have to be replaced as well, as there is no way it will transfer to a new build. Transferring the HDD could be troublesome as well, as IDE ports have been largely phased out of modern motherboards.

Better off with a new build my friend. What are your uses for the computer? What tasks do you generally do?

If its just general tasks, more RAM should solve the problem. But if you want a new computer, a cheap computer with a pentium dual core G620 or higher with 4GB of RAM won't cost a whole lot, and will more than double your performance.
m
l
November 16, 2011 11:19:02 PM

if you wanna go with dell again and spend about 650 which is pretty cheap go with this
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d...

low upgradeability as far as video card cuz it comes witha 460w PSU. If you wanna spend even less and still go with dell try this:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d...
neither of these computers with their base configurations are good for gaming just to let you know. it all depends on what you use it for.
m
l
November 17, 2011 1:55:00 AM

I wouldn't put the money into such an old system, by the age of your computer, I'm guessing your not a PC gamer? Something like this should fit the bill for what you want to do and will probably come out to the same price as a new Motherboard, RAM, CPU and HDD for your old system.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
November 26, 2011 6:52:53 AM

Thanks for all the replies guy but I decided to build my very first computer. All it need is a good graphics card and It'll be able to run almost any new game out there. 3Ghz processor 4gb's ram 160gb ssd and 160gb hdd no optical drive yet. I have to pay for all this my self. Though im sorta kicking my self in the pants becuase i completely over looked the amd fx series which is kinda regret or amd period went straight with intel. I gotta look around more when its time to upgrade.
m
l
November 26, 2011 8:58:23 AM

New build is the way to go! Do your research, read specs and reviews (feedback) on components and come up with your list. Then post it on "New Builds" section and request suggestions.

Good luck!
m
l
November 26, 2011 8:32:45 PM

Yea It's already built and it works fine. I posted what I had in the new build and got almost instant feedback. Ok I guess this thread is no longer needed could a mod please close it
m
l

Best solution

November 26, 2011 9:02:23 PM

If you select the best answer, it'll put the topic as solved, keeping people from popping in. I mean, they still could I suppose, but at least its a deterrent.
November 26, 2011 9:58:02 PM

Best answer selected by sami055.
m
l
!